New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Get in Shape for Ski Season

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Hello All,

How do you guys get in shape for ski season. Please share you routines. Thank you
post #2 of 13
DUDE! TOO LATE NOW..... Go to the fitness area newbie! Welcome

http://forums.epicski.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16
post #3 of 13
Have to laugh here! Finndog, perhaps it is all relative.
I'm over 50 and have been working my butt off now for over two months getting in shape for sking, and actually know it wouldn't hurt to have a tad more time to improve ... HOWEVER, I also have a 23 year old son who I swear gets in better shape by uh ... doing nothing at all. How does that work? lol. What a life! lol
post #4 of 13
I eat lots of icecream so I don't get too thin and weak during ski season!


All this heavy lifting gives me a work out.....Moving this thread to health and fitness now..........arrrrrrrghhhhh.
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbakersnow View Post
Have to laugh here! Finndog, perhaps it is all relative.
I'm over 50 and have been working my butt off now for over two months getting in shape for sking, and actually know it wouldn't hurt to have a tad more time to improve ... HOWEVER, I also have a 23 year old son who I swear gets in better shape by uh ... doing nothing at all. How does that work? lol. What a life! lol

Well regarding the 23 yo, it depends on what they are doing with thier free time now. I know when I was 23 I worked out night and walked around campus all day. Of course, we drank a lot of beer too... Maybe Trek isn't too far off?
post #6 of 13
Fridge sprints during commercials and lots of beer as I sweat out another Steelers or Penguins game.
post #7 of 13
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=60624


just so you know, theres another thread going with pretty much the same topic n a few more posts
post #8 of 13

My workout!

1) Run the dogs
2) Spinning
3) Skier's Edge WC Plyo
4) Core stabilization
5) Trail running
6) Hike the Mtns
7) Total Gym
8) Hit the punching bag at least once/week
9) Visualization
10) Pyometrics
11) Free wts
12) Train/rehab others
13) maintain consistant routine

good luck!
post #9 of 13
never stop training, just ramp it up starting in July
post #10 of 13
Its too late to start. Compensate for being out of shape but buying skis for every snow condition.
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio View Post
Its too late to start. Compensate for being out of shape but buying skis for every snow condition.
that's my tactic, get yer' own dammit
post #12 of 13
The biggest trick for skiers of a certain age is how to strengthen quads and hip extenders (among the strongest muscles in the body) without adding to wear and tear on the knee. Deep knee bends raise havoc with the knee cap and the joint articulation under it. As a doc, I have some interesting exercises to avoid this problem, but they're too hard to describe in words, and I'm not much of an artist. what do others do?
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebough View Post
The biggest trick for skiers of a certain age is how to strengthen quads and hip extenders (among the strongest muscles in the body) without adding to wear and tear on the knee. Deep knee bends raise havoc with the knee cap and the joint articulation under it. As a doc, I have some interesting exercises to avoid this problem, but they're too hard to describe in words, and I'm not much of an artist. what do others do?
Lots of squats,@ss to ankles
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: