EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › NE recommendation for over X'mas
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NE recommendation for over X'mas

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
We are a family of 4 looking for a decent deal with good snow and reasonable challege anywhere in the Northeast. On hill ski-in/ski-out preferred.

Arrival date is 12/23 and would probably stay until 12/26.

Thanks in advance.
post #2 of 14
As usual, anything in the north-east that early is going to have a low probability of having lots of terrain open. How long are you willing / able to wait to make reservations? I'd look for areas with big snowmaking systems: Sunday River, Sugarloaf, Killington, Stowe and Okemo are the first ones that come to mind. Barring any big early-season snowstorms, I wouldn't be expecting too much in the way of "challenging terrain" though, other then a few groomed-out blacks.
post #3 of 14
Pals and I had a great time in a skin in out Condo at Okemo last year.
post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 
Thanks, guys.

Just a bit of background, we typically do Smuggs for a full week. The kids love the upper mountains and anything inbound. But this year I'd like not to stay the entire week hence I'm looking for a place with similar offering without having to pay through the nose.

Based on the feedback so far...

Sunday River and Sugarloaf sound the best. But they're a bit far from home (8+ hours). How are their higher level instruction for the juniors?

Stowe and Killington (especially Stowe) aren't bad if they were not so expensive.

As for Okemo, I'm concerned that it may not be enough of a challenge for a 4+ hour road trip.

Now, how about Canada? Anything besides Mont Tremblant?
post #5 of 14
Weather plays a big role. Last year our family booked Tremblant and it's good we did. Not much else was open, bad start to the year. We ended up booking Sugarbush this year, around the same time. If your looking for a place in VT, I would suggest looking at private condo rentals to save some big $'s. Look at cyberrentals.com to start.

Other options;
Mont Sainte Anne and Le Massif, both are big enough with good challenging terrain.
post #6 of 14
Jay Peak can have a lot open around then, My son and I usually head up 12/26 - 30, often staying cheaply in Newport VT. Mont Sainte Anne? And, of course, the perennial early season favorite - the big K.
post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crank View Post
Jay Peak can have a lot open around then, My son and I usually head up 12/26 - 30, often staying cheaply in Newport VT.
Yup, already considered Jay and it's still a possibility. We were there over this year's Easter and had the best skiing experience for the $$$ spent. For this X'mas tho, it's still a bit more than what I want to spend but it can be much worse.

I like Jay's all inclusive package if you're staying at the hotel. But, the accommodation sorta suck.
post #8 of 14
I agree. I used to stay at the Hotel Jay 20 years ago and it was great back then. Now I always stay off mountain because I do think their ski in-ski out stuff is over priced.
post #9 of 14
Good Xmas deals and ski-in/out lodging are sort of mutually exclusive. Okemo won't be a bargain, but could be more snowsure because of great snowmaking, although I think from your direction it makes more sense to head further north. Trying to think outside the box: wonder if Bolton Valley might be worth looking into? Also, I hear good things about Owls Head in the Laurentians, but I've never been to either of those two.
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by crank View Post
I agree. I used to stay at the Hotel Jay 20 years ago and it was great back then. Now I always stay off mountain because I do think their ski in-ski out stuff is over priced.
Anything going on in Newport?
post #11 of 14
There's a few places. We stay at the Newport City Motel ( I think that's what it's called) around $70 a night. They even have a pool and hot tub. No jets in the hot tub though. Plenty of pizza joints, etc. to eat at. It's right off 91, last exit in the states and about a 20 minute drive to Jay Peak. Probably a good base for skiing Eastern Township Mtns. too.
post #12 of 14
I would say sunday river..
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundrulz View Post
Weather plays a big role. Last year our family booked Tremblant and it's good we did. Not much else was open, bad start to the year. We ended up booking Sugarbush this year, around the same time. If your looking for a place in VT, I would suggest looking at private condo rentals to save some big $'s. Look at cyberrentals.com to start.
I disagree...if you book thru the resort you get a sweet deal on your ski tiks plus free use of the health club, talking about the Bush specifially, which can more than make up for the lodging savings. Private condo rentals can work out great but your taking a risk if there is a problem with the unit and the owners are no where to be found.

Regarding the OP, most resorts require a minimum stay during the Xmas holiday which your dates cross into. Many book way in advance for this time of the year. I would call the resorts ASAP your considering just to check availibility/price and how your dates mesh with their booking rules for the holiday period. Slopeside or SISO usually book first. Checking into private rentals is a good idea just to make sure you have all your bases covered so you have as many options from which to choose from.
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by crank View Post
There's a few places. We stay at the Newport City Motel ( I think that's what it's called) around $70 a night. They even have a pool and hot tub. No jets in the hot tub though. Plenty of pizza joints, etc. to eat at. It's right off 91, last exit in the states and about a 20 minute drive to Jay Peak. Probably a good base for skiing Eastern Township Mtns. too.
Bring your own jets.

I'll check it out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › NE recommendation for over X'mas