New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wide Brake Bindings

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I have a pair of Rossignol Scratch Sprayer FS 2007 skis and I want to put the new 08 Rossignol Scratch 120 Ti WB bindings on them. I was wondering if the wide brake on these bindings will cause any problem because my ski width is only 80mm, or is it just no bid deal??? Help is appreciated. Thanks!
post #2 of 11
No big deal...The Rossi brake arms ride high and tuck in tight when you step into the bindings.

I've got the Axial2 Ti 120's, with 100mm brakes (same width as the ones you are looking at getting), mounted on my B3's (83mm waste) w/out any issues at all...
post #3 of 11
This same combo put me in the Mammoth Mt. with a blown Knee. I personally know 3 people who have suffered injuries due to to wide a brake! Don't do it.
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdz View Post
This same combo put me in the Mammoth Mt. with a blown Knee. I personally know 3 people who have suffered injuries due to to wide a brake! Don't do it.

Can you explain exactly how you were injured due to this combo?
Also, how the other three people were injured due to too wide a brake?

Pretty bold statement w/out hard facts to back it up with...I'm not trying to start a fight w/you, but you just can't make blanket statements w/out rationalizing with logic/reasoning and facts sorrounding such a statement/claim...

I've ski'd several pairs of skis w/binding brakes that are technically too wide for the ski...The WORSE problem I've ever encountered is the brake digging a VERY little bit into the snow with a much milder reaction than a "boot out" would cause...IMHO, NOT a "dangerous", accident inducing situation...I've never seen/heard of an injury/accident caused in this fashion...Would be very interesting to see the actual mechanism of injury/cause of the incidents you claim, because if true, the situation should be considered as a safety issue.

As for myself, I'll still ski my setup, w/total confidence and will still give the same advice to others.

P.S. I've never had any issues w/the wide Rossi brakes on my B3's diggin into the snow and unsettling the ski's edge, or at least I couldn't feel it.
post #5 of 11
I'm not getting involved whether a wide brake on a narrower waist width will cause injuries.

I can say this though. Ask a shop manager if it would be willing to swap out your wide brakes for standard brakes. You said your bindings are new. Some repair shops keep the discarded brakes from customers who bought wide brakes. This is a way for the shop to get a pair of wide brakes without paying a cent. Wide brakes sell for $30 or more retail. It could work out for you and the shop.

Dennis
post #6 of 11
I used to have a pair of skis that the brakes stuck out quite a ways. Every once in a while I would get one brake stuck on top of the other making impossible to get that edge down on the snow. It sometimes was a little interesting when going fast and having it happen. At the time I was skiing with more of an old school, skis together. I have since worked to change how I ski and really don't think it would be much of a problem for me now except for maybe in the bumps.. I'm sure somebody would be willing to trade you. Ask on TGR
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTpowder View Post
I used to have a pair of skis that the brakes stuck out quite a ways. Every once in a while I would get one brake stuck on top of the other making impossible to get that edge down on the snow. It sometimes was a little interesting when going fast and having it happen. At the time I was skiing with more of an old school, skis together. I have since worked to change how I ski and really don't think it would be much of a problem for me now except for maybe in the bumps.. I'm sure somebody would be willing to trade you. Ask on TGR
Now that I can see happening, but still haven't experienced that myself...Maybe this is what happened to the other guy and his friends.
post #8 of 11
I'll switch brakes with you, I have an extra pair of 80's.
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Alright well I think ill just get the wide brake bindings and if it causes a problem I'll switch them out for standards. I have one more question. My skis have standard and modern mounting. What are these mountings? Does this mean I can't center mount?
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHo23 View Post
Alright well I think ill just get the wide brake bindings and if it causes a problem I'll switch them out for standards. I have one more question. My skis have standard and modern mounting. What are these mountings? Does this mean I can't center mount?
"Standard" is for allmountain use, and "modern" is for park/jibber riding (more true center).

If you plan mainly riding crud/pow/off-piste/allmountain then use the "standard" mount point.
post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 
Alright that's what I thought it probably was. Thanks for the help everyone.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion