or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

best of michigan skiing??

post #1 of 43
Thread Starter 
hey guys.. just moved from my nice central location in northern ny where vt and lake placid were within 2hrs 4 me.. now in the flat cornfields of indiana.. wondering where in michigan to ski 4 quality challenging terrain. saw mt. bohemia in the up.. that place looks cool, kinda far, but maybe worth it. any info on other good resorts 4 the area would be appreciated. i know i wont get the vert of new england, but beggers cant be choosers.
post #2 of 43
Boyne Highlands is the best in the lower peninsula.
post #3 of 43
Indiana??? Whoa, dude that's brutal.

The U.P. has pretty good skiing, but it's a hell of a long way. Marquette Mountain is good, Bohemia is great when there is fresh snow, but if there isn't, you can completely ruin a pair of skis in one day. The Ironwood areas are all pretty good.

In the L.P., Boyne Mountain is good (Boyne Highlands sucks), Nubs Nob is good.

The closest decent place to you will be Crystal or Caberfae.
post #4 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey View Post
Boyne Highlands is the best in the lower peninsula.
post #5 of 43
^^^^Yup, what he said. Although for challenge I'd give the nod to Caberfae over Crystal.

If you're considering Bohemia I'd definitely recommend it. It's a really cool spot. Keep in mind though it's not that much farther to drive to Colorado or Vermont.
post #6 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpfreaq View Post
^^^^Yup, what he said. Although for challenge I'd give the nod to Caberfae over Crystal.
I agree. I kinda like Caberfae, and it will be the closest to him anyway. In addition to being nearly dead flat, Crystal is pretty overrun with gapers too. It does have quite a variety of flat runs, though.
post #7 of 43
Did you say your coming from Indiana or Iowa? Wow! Not sure how far the UP is for you, but in Central WI is Granite Peak. Granite Peak is far better than anything in the UP (in my opinion). 700'+ elevation, and high speed lift; along with all new amenities.

Good luck.
post #8 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattongb View Post
Granite Peak is far better than anything in the UP (in my opinion).
Have you been to the U.P.?
post #9 of 43
From Indiana, real mountains east or west will be your best bet.

If you want to ski Michigan's Lower Peninsula, the greatest choice of terrain is at Boyne Mountain. Nothing else is that big. Highlands is considerably less challenging. Nub's is similar--short if you discount the inruns and outruns. Next best choice for challenge after Boyne Mt. is Schuss. Caberfae is quaint. Crystal has more terrain, but, as others have noted, not much in the way of steeps. Schuss has the smallest crowds. Years of uncertainty over ownership and neglect until the last couple of years have made it unattractive. All the others are swamped most weekends, and especially for holidays.
post #10 of 43
How close will you be to Chicago? Marquette is only 6 hours from Chicago, which will make it closer than any of the areas in the northern LP.
post #11 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.P. Racer View Post
Have you been to the U.P.?

Ive skied every mountain in MI that has more than 400+ vertical. So yeah ive been to the UP.

Again, Granite Peak is better than all of them in my opinion. Unless you like sitting on old slow chairlifts all day and only skiing 650 or less feet of vertical.
post #12 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattongb View Post
Again, Granite Peak is better than all of them in my opinion. Unless you like sitting on old slow chairlifts all day and only skiing 650 or less feet of vertical.
Huh... Interesting.
post #13 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.P. Racer View Post
I agree. I kinda like Caberfae, and it will be the closest to him anyway. In addition to being nearly dead flat, Crystal is pretty overrun with gapers too. It does have quite a variety of flat runs, though.
What he said!^^
Caberfae is a bit more core. Get there, head to South peak, ski the dark side until it gets dark, then southpeak until the chair closes. Once you have to head to north chair you may as well go home. Its usually packed with school kids.

What Crystal has to offer is chairs that service more than one type of ski run so you can ski with friends of different levels and ski from the same chair. Crystal has also added a couple tree sections that are a ton of fun.
And yes, Crystal is full of gapers, but I'm one of them.
post #14 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattongb View Post
Ive skied every mountain in MI that has more than 400+ vertical. So yeah ive been to the UP.

Again, Granite Peak is better than all of them in my opinion. Unless you like sitting on old slow chairlifts all day and only skiing 650 or less feet of vertical.
Uhhnnn... Bohemia has 900 feet of vert. And it's not completely flat like Rib. But you're right, Granite is pretty great if you like skiing flat 1/2 mile wide runs on crappy wind-blasted man made snow with 9,000,000 other gapers. Plus thier cafeteria is extreme to the maxx. Thier parking lot roxx too.

To the OP - Bohemia completely blows away anything else in the midwest for actual skiing (not riding lifts or eating food), but like UP said - it's great if there's snow, no so great if there isn't. I was up there the year they started running lifts and it was nuts - I skied 2' powder all day and the only time I saw anybody was waiting for the bus at the road. It's also a very long haul from Indiana. You might actually be better off just flying to CO or UT. Another option might be Searchmont in Canada (just pass Sault Ste Marie). I've never skied there, but I was up there for a few MTB races and it's a big place.
post #15 of 43
Actually, the best thing about Rib is the triple workout you can get. First comes the 60 yards of moderate pitch at the top, this is where you get your 3 or 4 alpine turns in. The second phase is where it flattens out and you practice your tuck. At this point you want to carry your speed as long as possible. The third phase comes when you come to a complete stop, (still in your tuck) and still have nearly half a mile of dead flats to the bottom of the chair. This is where you can practice your nordic skating technique.
post #16 of 43
Caberfae has the cheapest lift tickets!


Karl
post #17 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.P. Racer View Post
Actually, the best thing about Rib is the triple workout you can get. First comes the 60 yards of moderate pitch at the top, this is where you get your 3 or 4 alpine turns in. The second phase is where it flattens out and you practice your tuck. At this point you want to carry your speed as long as possible. The third phase comes when you come to a complete stop, (still in your tuck) and still have nearly half a mile of dead flats to the bottom of the chair. This is where you can practice your nordic skating technique.
And if the wind is blowing out of the north at all, phase 2 starts right at the top and phase 3 starts about 200 feet below that.

The super Xtreme "chutes" at the top are also very very rad. For like 1/2 a second you actually think you're skiing something.

The price of a lift ticket there is also pretty extreme.
post #18 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.P. Racer View Post
In the L.P., Boyne Mountain is good (Boyne Highlands sucks).
That's your opinion. I prefer Highlands. The OP could always get a ticket and try them both. They're not that far apart and all Boyne tickets provide access to both mountains. Ski Highlands on Saturday, stay Saturday night in Petoskey, ski Sunday at Boyne Mountain on the way home.
post #19 of 43
I live near Ft. Wayne Indiana. I ski up at crystal and caberfae. Caberfae peaks .com is running a deal right now for 99$ season lift tickets. Both places are neat. Another good one is in central OH. Its not that good but is a place to ski and only 2hrs away from me.
post #20 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by orionxprss View Post
Caberfae has the cheapest lift tickets!
Caberfae has $9 Sunday tickets. You need a coupon but they are available at several Michigan ski shops including Bill & Pauls (Grand Rapids) and Reliable Sport & Ski (Holland).
post #21 of 43
What….no props for Mnt. Ripley. They are getting a new chair this year!
post #22 of 43
Welcome to the flatland. IMHO you should buy a season pass at the closest resort and ski as often as you can. What good is it sitting around waiting for the "Big trip" to Boyne or the UP when everyone else is skiing a local hill.

See the recent issue of POWDER for the article on Wilmot Mountain, WI. Small hills can be great fun.
post #23 of 43
MWskier has a great point.

I get teased frequently for skiing my little 375 ft of vert here, but all the while I'm skiing on it, I look like this ><
post #24 of 43
Beastoftheeast welcome to the second redest state in the union. In addition to Michigan consider other options. If you are in Indianapolis your best bet is straight east on 70 to Seven Springs Pa., freeway all the way. Seven Springs is better than anything in Mi except Mt. Bohemia. Stay in New Stanton and pick up a travel guide. In it is a cupon for the Quality Inn, $43.00 per night with cupon.

You will also find Perfect North (South) IN. to be like many resorts in Michigan when the weather has been cold enough to make snow.
post #25 of 43
Wow, this thread got me thinking:
1. Next time I start feeling jealous about all the Bears who live like 3 minutes from Aspen or 10 minutes from Alta or right on the hill at Big Sky, I'll start feeling thankful for the quick access to great skiing I already have.
2. I guess I'd get back into racing if I lived in the Midwest.
3. No doubt, Midwestern skiers really love their sport. Hats off.
4. Maybe we need a thread like "Toughest Move", eg, who's moved from the sweetest to the most difficult ski access situation.
post #26 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
Uhhnnn... Bohemia has 900 feet of vert. And it's not completely flat like Rib. But you're right, Granite is pretty great if you like skiing flat 1/2 mile wide runs on crappy wind-blasted man made snow with 9,000,000 other gapers. Plus thier cafeteria is extreme to the maxx. Thier parking lot roxx too.

To the OP - Bohemia completely blows away anything else in the midwest for actual skiing (not riding lifts or eating food), but like UP said - it's great if there's snow, no so great if there isn't. I was up there the year they started running lifts and it was nuts - I skied 2' powder all day and the only time I saw anybody was waiting for the bus at the road. It's also a very long haul from Indiana. You might actually be better off just flying to CO or UT. Another option might be Searchmont in Canada (just pass Sault Ste Marie). I've never skied there, but I was up there for a few MTB races and it's a big place.
Flat like Rib? Huh? Granite Peak has always been one of the steepest ski resorts in the midwest. In fact when it was Rib mountain it wasnt very amatuer friendly because of the steepness of most of the runs. As for Bohemias so called 900' vertical, are you sure thats 900' of skiable vertical? Because I believe Granite Peak is 1000' vertical, but lists 700+' of skiable vertical. There is a difference.

Also you say Bohemia is great if there is snow, but then diss Granite about skiing wind blasted man made snow. Well I would consider Granite's top of the line snow making and grooming system a BENEFIT not a negative. If fact their snowmaking capability is considered one of the best if not the best in the midwest.

I serious have to wonder when the last time some of you were at Granite Peak. Its a totally different place then when it was Rib Mountain. The groomed runs are groomed to perfection eliminating any flats that may have been a problem at the bottom of runs at Rib. The lodge and parking lot are brand new and top of the line. The skiing is excellent most of the time.

Besides, until a UP ski resort gets a high speed lift, I will stick to Granite exclusively. I can get 4x as much skiing in with the limited midwst vertical, using Granite Peaks high speed chair, than I can get at ANY U.P. resort.
post #27 of 43
The problem with any skiing in the UP is distance. It's probably 9 or 10 hours from central Indiana to the UP. It's only 5 hours more to Vermont.

Vermont > UP
post #28 of 43
:
post #29 of 43
Guys who love Ganite Rib are great. More power to 'em.

But you obviosly either work for Granite or are trolling, and I can't resist..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattongb View Post
Flat like Rib? Huh? Granite Peak has always been one of the steepest ski resorts in the midwest..
Compared to what? Some farmers corn field? Marquette is steeper, Whitecap is steeper, Bohemia's WAY steeper. There is no run at Granite Rib that you can't straightline in a tuck and still come to almost a dead stop at the bottom without a little skating.

Quote:
If fact their snowmaking capability is considered one of the best if not the best in the midwest.
Yeah - I'd much rather ski nice hard manmade "snow" than all that pesky lake effect up in the UP. Rib has to have tons of snowmaking because even in a great year they only get a fraction of what the UP hills get.

Quote:
I serious have to wonder when the last time some of you were at Granite Peak.
Three years ago. I think I made something like four turns all day.

Quote:
Its a totally different place then when it was Rib Mountain.
Did it get 25 degrees steeper and 200" more annual snow? New lifts, new lodge, a few more boring flat runs and a new name don't make the actual skiing any better.

Quote:
The groomed runs are groomed to perfection eliminating any flats that may have been a problem at the bottom of runs at Rib.
You can't "groom out" flats. They're still there. In abundance.

Quote:
The lodge and parking lot are brand new and top of the line.
Maybe you should try posting on a "lodge and parking lot" forum instead of a skiing forum. I'm sure the people there would get much more excited about Rib.

Quote:
I can get 4x as much skiing in with the limited midwst vertical, using Granite Peaks high speed chair, than I can get at ANY U.P. resort.
Well, like I said on the McSkiing thread - for some it's all about getting max vert, for most real skiers it's more about fun (some would call that "challenging") terrain and good snow. Some like quality, other just want quantity.


Again - I'm just having a bit of fun here. If you don't work for Rib and are offended, then I apologise. But really, Rib's only good for people who live in Wausau and want to get a few runs in after work or something. I can't imagine spending more than an hour there without being bored out of my skull. And I sure as hell can't imagine driving all the way from Indiana to ski Granite Peak. That'd be the equivalent of driving from Kansas to surf Sheboygan.
post #30 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
Guys who love Ganite Rib are great. More power to 'em.

But you obviosly either work for Granite or are trolling, and I can't resist..



Compared to what? Some farmers corn field? Marquette is steeper, Whitecap is steeper, Bohemia's WAY steeper. There is no run at Granite Rib that you can't straightline in a tuck and still come to almost a dead stop at the bottom without a little skating.



Yeah - I'd much rather ski nice hard manmade "snow" than all that pesky lake effect up in the UP. Rib has to have tons of snowmaking because even in a great year they only get a fraction of what the UP hills get.



Three years ago. I think I made something like four turns all day.



Did it get 25 degrees steeper and 200" more annual snow? New lifts, new lodge, a few more boring flat runs and a new name don't make the actual skiing any better.



You can't "groom out" flats. They're still there. In abundance.



Maybe you should try posting on a "lodge and parking lot" forum instead of a skiing forum. I'm sure the people there would get much more excited about Rib.



Well, like I said on the McSkiing thread - for some it's all about getting max vert, for most real skiers it's more about fun (some would call that "challenging") terrain and good snow. Some like quality, other just want quantity.


Again - I'm just having a bit of fun here. If you don't work for Rib and are offended, then I apologise. But really, Rib's only good for people who live in Wausau and want to get a few runs in after work or something. I can't imagine spending more than an hour there without being bored out of my skull. And I sure as hell can't imagine driving all the way from Indiana to ski Granite Peak. That'd be the equivalent of driving from Kansas to surf Sheboygan.
Those are pretty good, and very accurate answers. I saw Mr. Granite's response, but chose not to reply. I figured I could count on you to set the record straight. Good work.

I will admit, though.... I have not seen their new parking lot.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion