or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Need ski suggestions for NASTAR/Minnesota/Colorado Skiing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need ski suggestions for NASTAR/Minnesota/Colorado Skiing

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Hi all,

OK, I'm 33, 5'7", 135 lbs, fairly athletic, and have been skiing NASTAR for 4 years now. I started out on a $99 pair of 168 Rossignol 9X's that were barely shaped. Two years ago I picked up a pair of 178 Fischer Worldcup GS skis cheap of Ebay, which I think have improved my carving skills, but I don't think I have the mass to really drive the beasts through our short course. Last year I picked up a pair of Nordica Doberman Pro 130 boots, so now I'm looking for a ski to match.

Priorities:
1) NASTAR racing in Minnesota. Short, fairly steep hill (Welch Village).
2) Non-race skiing in Minnesota. Gotta make lots of turns or you blink and you're at the bottom.
3) Yearly family ski trip to Colorado.

I'd love a ski that could cover all 3, but I'm most interested in number 1. I'd really like to move from consistent Silver to occasional Gold and I think my skis are part of the problem, though my lack of technique is probably more to blame...

-John
post #2 of 12
A race ski is not a true necessity for you. BITD when I was your age...........I had a mid single digit handicap without skiing on a race ski to do so. If you are in this for fun rather than reaching the national finals, then I'd suggest any good 70 waisted carver. That will optimize priorities #1 & 2. If you want to throw a dash of #3 in there, then look at a mid 70's carver.

Some suggestions......Any of these will race as well or better than you can.

Nordica Speedmachine Mach 2 or 3....70mm
Dynastar Contact LTD.....................72mm
Volkl Tigershark 10'.........................73mm
Fischer Cool Heat...........................76mm
Volkl AC 30....................................76mm

SJ
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm definitely in this for the fun, not the podium, so if I can get away with a cheaper non-race ski all the better.

I was thinking something in the 16-17M turn radius range, though I noticed a few of yours were as low as 15M. Also, what length would you suggest? I was thinking somewhere in the 165-175 range.

-John
post #4 of 12
I'd suggest the 160-165 range. For your weight, there is little need for a longer ski. As an example, I have a customer that is quite a strong skier who goes about 5-7" and maybe 145#. His entire quiver runs in the 160-168 range. (He runs his carver @ 160, his off trail ski @ 168, and his "tweener" is....in between)

Don't overthink the the turn radius thing too much. Anything in the 14m-17m is just fine.

SJ
post #5 of 12
post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
I really like what I've seen about the Fischer Cool Heat's, but I don't think I can swing the 2008 model prices with my wife

Any 2007 model suggestions? The 2007 Fischer WorldCup RC with flowflex seems somewhat comparable to the new Cool Heats and I've seen them around at half the price. Of course they only have a 66 waist.

How about the Fischer RX9/8/7 line?

Thanks...
post #7 of 12
As a fellow Minnesota recreational ski racer(Buck Hill), I would recommend the Fischer Worldcup RC's. I have owned several pairs including last years with the Flow Flex plate which I felt was softer and easier to turn. This year I'm going to try the new Fischer Progressor which is similar. The Progressor has a wider waist and a progressive side cut which makes it a little quicker turning on our tight courses. You don't need a race ski and either of these ski's will double as an every day free ski! A turn radius of of about 16m is ideal for the average racer on our small hills. I see a lot of the pace setters using cheater skis such as the Fischer RC's.:
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeterfood View Post
I really like what I've seen about the Fischer Cool Heat's, but I don't think I can swing the 2008 model prices with my wife

Any 2007 model suggestions? The 2007 Fischer WorldCup RC with flowflex seems somewhat comparable to the new Cool Heats and I've seen them around at half the price. Of course they only have a 66 waist.

How about the Fischer RX9/8/7 line?

Thanks...
The Cool Heats are very heavy and too wide in my opinion. I own a pair of the RX8's and have owned the RX9's as well, both are great ski's! There are several skiers at Buck racing on the RX9's and thats also a great everyday ski, even out west. My personal favorite is still the RC's, Ski Depot is closing out the 07's (same as 08) for about $600.
post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckwild View Post
The Cool Heats are very heavy and too wide in my opinion. I own a pair of the RX8's and have owned the RX9's as well, both are great ski's! There are several skiers at Buck racing on the RX9's and thats also a great everyday ski, even out west. My personal favorite is still the RC's, Ski Depot is closing out the 07's (same as 08) for about $600.
Thanks for the help. Yeah, I've been drooling over the 2007 RC's at Ski Depot, but I wanted to make sure I was getting what I needed this time before I plead my case to the wife. A bunch of the other guys on my team have been really happy with the RC's too, but all of theirs are prior to the addition of the Flowflex system.

Are the RC's at least decent for Western Skiing conditions, or am I better off compromising with the RX9's? I don't want to haul 2 pairs of skis to Colorado so I can free-ski and run the NASTAR course.

BTW the Fischer WorldCup GS skis I currently have (21 M) worked great for me at the Grand Race Super-G at Lutsen a few years ago. I just can't get them to turn fast enough on the GS courses...

-John
post #10 of 12
I just sold my 2007 RC's in 175cm ($400) and bought the Progressors. The RX9 would make a better all around ski, 69mm waist, lighter, softer, versatile, forgiving. The softer 2007 RC with Flow Flex is a better all around ski verses the earlier RC models, I used mine as a free ski/race ski. For your needs however I would go for the RX9, I've seen them as cheap as $300 brand new on ebay!
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post
A race ski is not a true necessity for you. BITD when I was your age...........I had a mid single digit handicap without skiing on a race ski to do so. If you are in this for fun rather than reaching the national finals, then I'd suggest any good 70 waisted carver. That will optimize priorities #1 & 2. If you want to throw a dash of #3 in there, then look at a mid 70's carver.

Some suggestions......Any of these will race as well or better than you can.

Nordica Speedmachine Mach 2 or 3....70mm
Dynastar Contact LTD.....................72mm
Volkl Tigershark 10'.........................73mm
Fischer Cool Heat...........................76mm
Volkl AC 30....................................76mm

SJ

Jim
He's in Minnesota racing on manmade snow.
No 70+ waist ski is going to cut it.
A Race ski or race carver is what he needs.
Too ice and too turny of courses for wide waisted skis
post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all the ideas.

Turns out the annual fall ski-swaps are this weekend, so I'm going to see what they've got before I commit to anything.

-John
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Need ski suggestions for NASTAR/Minnesota/Colorado Skiing