EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Volkl Bridge and M Rock
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Volkl Bridge and M Rock

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
Anyone skied both of these?
I've read some info on each, but nothing comparing the two.
The M rock is billed as backcountry, the Bridge as park and all-mountain.
Sizes are nearly identical except the M Rock is 2mm narrower.
Construction is different also.
I'm curious as to which would make a better all mountain ski for powder days while still having the ability to handle a groomer or two and not fall apart or chatter excessively.
I'm looking for something in the 92-94 waist range to round out my quiver.
post #2 of 21
what other ski do you have?

do you like a ski that is forgiving? or a ski that has more tailkick? do you ski tight areas alot? do you ski bumps alot?

when you ski powder do you mach it? or do you do short turns?
post #3 of 21
Thread on M-Rock here...http://forums.epicski.com/showthread...210#post776210

The M-Rock is essentially the first gen Mantra re-badged.


PS
Bush and quite a few others are definitely going to suggest the Gotama...

post #4 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
what other ski do you have?

do you like a ski that is forgiving? or a ski that has more tailkick? do you ski tight areas alot? do you ski bumps alot?

when you ski powder do you mach it? or do you do short turns?

Not too many powder days experience so far living in the east, but I'm looking to try more this winter as I now have some friends living in Stowe and I'm heading out west. For wider skis, I have Public Enemies and Afterburners. Looking for something a little wider. So far in powder it's been short turns and unlike my grooming skis, I'm not looking for mach speeds just more float and control. Looking for something forgiving that will allow me to advance. I realize they won't handle like my SL or GS skis on the groomers, but some capability to handle the groomers at moderate speeds would be appreciated. I've read that Mantras are okay on the groomers, but it sounds like they are stiffer and more demanding than I would want in powder.
FWIW, I'm 5'7" 170#.
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickk9 View Post
Not too many powder days experience so far living in the east, but I'm looking to try more this winter as I now have some friends living in Stowe and I'm heading out west. For wider skis, I have Public Enemies and Afterburners. Looking for something a little wider. So far in powder it's been short turns and unlike my grooming skis, I'm not looking for mach speeds just more float and control. Looking for something forgiving that will allow me to advance. I realize they won't handle like my SL or GS skis on the groomers, but some capability to handle the groomers at moderate speeds would be appreciated. I've read that Mantras are okay on the groomers, but it sounds like they are stiffer and more demanding than I would want in powder.
whats size PEs? 169?

I dont think mantra are bad in powder in fact they are pretty good.

Out of the 2 ski you mentioned though I think the bridge in a 177(twin tipped volkl measure short) is the way to go. Little longer for fore and aft balance, little softer tail = more forgiving and better in trees. I bet its ski groomers just as well as a mantra as long as you dont rely on the tail.

by heading out west does that mean you are moving here or that you taking a trip here?

with that said if you already have the PEs(great powder skis in thier own right, well at least think mine are), why not go for something wider than your 2 choices. I can carve turn on my gotamas just as well as my speed is high and the snow isnt rock hard. not to mention I know the gotama is way better in powder than the other 2 volkls you mention.

the gotama is damp at high speed on groomers
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...67388226619949

despite its dimensions and side cut a good skier can still get it to do short radius turns on hardpack.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...20238837886455
post #6 of 21
i'm a big proponant of demoing.

so, if you're just heading out west for a single trip, then i'd demo a few wider skis rather than plunk down on something you might not use if you don't travel out west this season.
post #7 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
i'm a big proponant of demoing.

so, if you're just heading out west for a single trip, then i'd demo a few wider skis rather than plunk down on something you might not use if you don't travel out west this season.

I hear you with the demoing and I agree. I have a store credit at a local shop that will cover a pair of skis, but I am trying to decide while sizes are available. I'm pretty much set with shorter waists, I'm just looking for something in the 90+ range for the few powder days we get out east and maybe bringing them out west. (I'll keep the PEs for the woods.) I'm just looking for the experience of Epic skiers to help me determine if the Bridge or M Rock is the better choice. Damn that Bushwacker for the Gotama video...
post #8 of 21
I rode the 177cm first gen Mantra (which is what I believe is the same mold that the M-Rock is from) 2 seasons ago as my first "fat" ski (coming from a 63mm waisted Rossi). I had a blast on it in Utah powder.

Last season, however, I began to find the 177 to be a bit short. I swapped it out for a 180cm AK King Salmon, which has become my "every day" ski, more or less (very similar dimensions to the first gen Mantra and the M-Rock, though a little narrower in the tip and tail and a little stiffer over all).

I can't really recommend anything other than the Mantra or perhaps the Ross B4 (I think it's the B94 this season). I go from the 94mm King Salmon to a 125mm Spatula for powder.



But again, the Goat has been a popular choice amongst a lot of Epic folks, so that might be the way to go (or at least explore).
post #9 of 21
I'd get the Bridge. Actually, I'm going to get the Bridge.
post #10 of 21
The Bridge is......

not a park ski
not soft in the tail
not even a full twin tip

The Bridge is......

A great all mountain ski cleverly disguised as a twin tip.

In the 92mm range, it's hard to do much better.

SJ
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post
The Bridge is......

not a park ski
not soft in the tail
not even a full twin tip

The Bridge is......

A great all mountain ski cleverly disguised as a twin tip.

In the 92mm range, it's hard to do much better.

SJ
SJ:
as an allmountain ride how does it handle icey winblown ec drek? Survive or thrive? 185 v 177 any different?
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotama View Post
SJ:
as an allmountain ride how does it handle icey winblown ec drek? Survive or thrive? 185 v 177 any different?
Uhhhhh................I wouldn't say thrive with any great conviction. That's not it's element. It would be ok but I can think of other skis in this width range that I'd choose for that sorta stuff.

I skied the 177 a lot last spring, but havn't laid a glove on the 185.

SJ
post #13 of 21
I skied it on frozen springtme coral and scraped off groomer and it hooked up with conviction.
post #14 of 21
so is the Bridge effectively the new Karma, just 5mm wider? (the Karma was pretty much an all-mountain ski masquerading as a park ski).
post #15 of 21
Yes.

SJ
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickk9 View Post
I hear you with the demoing and I agree. I have a store credit at a local shop that will cover a pair of skis, but I am trying to decide while sizes are available. I'm pretty much set with shorter waists, I'm just looking for something in the 90+ range for the few powder days we get out east and maybe bringing them out west. (I'll keep the PEs for the woods.) I'm just looking for the experience of Epic skiers to help me determine if the Bridge or M Rock is the better choice. Damn that Bushwacker for the Gotama video...
yep damn him becasue he has video showing groomer skiing on a ski that most couldnt never even control there let alone have fun and rip some carved turns on.

I would ski a 183cm gotama alot of days in vermont.I mean I would also ski tons on my 179cm PEs and 173 RC4 but I would still keep my gotama. The 192cm Thugs that are here now those probably wouldnt see any time in vermont

I can only give advice on the skis I have skied on which in the case of this thread I own one of the skis you mention(M-rock which I own last years mantra, have skied the 177cm bridge only size for demo last year) and have own a ski you own the PE.

even a 175 Praxis wouldnt be outta of the question, back east there is so much snow in the woods that if you willing to work for it at places like MRG you can ski powder all day. Bigger surface area will actually make the ski more nimble because you can pivot and smear in the trees.

check out this video of spatulas at stowe. Just dont ever expect to carve groomers on them.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...83485914536420
post #17 of 21
I like that video - pretty tight spaces to be skiing those things. That skier's definitely working it
post #18 of 21
damn, all y'alls trees are tight in the East...

i kinda like 'em spread out just a tad more. but will totally agree that the pivot/smear/slide/scrub action of the Spats is sweet (I own me a pair).

post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct55 View Post
I like that video - pretty tight spaces to be skiing those things. That skier's definitely working it
in powder they ski shorter than my gotamas....with more float. They turn very easy. perfect EC powder tree ski.

just remember i didnt get my screenname from skiing groomers back east...I skied tree almost anytime I could.
post #20 of 21
I believe it since skiing Snowbird trees with you.

Reminds me of skiing Goat@Stowe last year, Magic, even some areas of Stratton (yeah I know conventional wisdom says there are no trails like that there right? Wrong!!

Good stuff ...
post #21 of 21
given the RC of the Spat i'm guessing they're about 150cm true contact length (for example, my Lib Tech Mt. Bakers are 188cm tip to tail, but only 150cm contact length, so I'm expecting them to ski kinda short, as well)

i'll check this weekend as i'm headed to Tahoe for my cousin's wedding (the Spats are in the familia cabin closet).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Volkl Bridge and M Rock