Why not hike over and ski on top of last year's leftover snowfields between the ski area and the volcano? Seems like an easy solution to a rocky situation, no?
post #31 of 37
10/5/07 at 10:42pm
What's a crock is your attitude. Only a select few can stay on the mountain and assess the snow situation. Most of us working slobs have only the snow report on which to base our decision to drive over an hour on windy roads to get there. It doesn't tell you the type of snow, you have to guess.
I've been there in the early season when they said they had 30" but everything was exposed. A waste of my time, my money, and my P-tex. It was horrible; sticks, rocks, logs, and dirt. Since then I've waited until I was fairly sure of the coverage. So far it's not meant more than a couple of days of extra waiting time. Last year I couldn't arrange to get to the ski area before it had over 50". And I skied there in the first week it was open.
Learn to read it. Take an avy class if need be. That info is updated hourly, and with a little bit of knowledge, it is actually quite easy to tell exactly what the snow is going to be like without ever leaving your cpu. Technology is cool.