New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Worst-Managed Ski Area - Page 2

post #31 of 51
A resort I stayed at (forgot which one) a year or two ago was full of foreign students working the hotel (I think it was Katskill Club at Hunter). I had no gripes at all with 20-something year old Brazilian girls running around, I say keep it going!
post #32 of 51
Newfydog has it right about Powdr Corp and Bachelor. Fortunately, due to abundant snow, lack of crowds and the high speed lifts installed by prior owners you can still have a great experience there most of the time. So with a lean Sierra snow season in 2007 I flew up to Bachelor for the last weekend (April 14-15) that I knew the whole mountain would be open. http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boa...pic.php?t=3147 .

But good management is more important is producing a quality ski experience in the East. Thus my oft-expressed skepticism about Powdr Corp and Killington.
post #33 of 51
It is funny how we all have something to complain about. If we had stopped complaining years ago then we would not have the issues we have today. First it was the lift lines, then snow quality and so on (you know where I am going with this). We got what we wanted for the most part with the faster lifts, better snowmaking and nice resort upgrades and that came at a price. Remember these places are here to make money and I have not seen too many if any that are actually running in the black, meaning something has to give! Insurance costs for the resorts are also out of control, thanks to us sue happy people. We the snow enthusiests have caused the problems and that is we are never happy enough and always want more.

I am in the norteast and I hope the recent sales of the ASC group help the industry out but only time will tell. The weather patterns changing here are surely hurting every resort (last year the season didn't really start till mid February). We need a couple good years of weather to get the resorts back to being able to run a profit then maybe things will stabilize, we know the ticket prices will not go down but hopefully they will stop rising (might be a pipe dream but one can hope).
post #34 of 51
Complaining? I have nothing but good to say about Mad River Glen, Hickory Ski Hill and The Muellers who run Okemo.
post #35 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
Complaining? I have nothing but good to say about Mad River Glen, Hickory Ski Hill and The Muellers who run Okemo.
I only know of 2 of those areas, Okemo and Mad River. Both are great mountains which I have rarely heard anything bad about. I personally love Jay and Sugarloaf (jay being the favorite now) but I look past the management as much as possible, I enjoy skiing too much to think about what they need to do to make money.

I do believe you got my point though, management can't make everyone happy as they are trying to turn a profit. Profit will only be at our expense since most of the mountains have had to spend millions of dollars just to get us to go there!
post #36 of 51
I am not a fan of Squaw Valley management. However, I really like the mountain.

My problems:
  1. Food Services. The food is really awful. It's one of the few places that can mess up a hamburger, pizza and salad.
  2. Lift Openings. During the week, they close a lot of lifts down. Olympic Lady, Cornice, Broken Arrow, Solitude, Silverado often do not run. Some of these are redundant, but most are not.
  3. Lift Placement. There is a HS 6-pack that runs out of the parking lot with no trail to return to it. It sits completely unused. However, lifts like Emigrant, Granite Chief and Red Dog can sport some mammoth lines. Stupid.
  4. High Camp. I'm not sure if 8200 feet in the Sierra is the best spot for a theme park, but what do I know. There are tennis courts, bungee, pools, saunas, etc. The scale is a little out of place.
  5. Parking. The village displaced a lot of parking which can be bad on big weekends.
post #37 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by tromano View Post
Blueknob PA is pretty damn bad. Minimalistic grooming (snow piles need to be flattened at least once after you blow them), little snow making capacity, very slow to open terrain, no apparent infrastructure improvements since the the cold war era. No snow making on many trails which is pretty redonkulous in the midaltantic. Signature trails (with snow making) don't open until February given average winter conditions. Still an awesome place to ski when the conditions are right, but it could be one of the regions best--full stop--with better management and more money.
Better grooming (Save the whales!?), more snowmaking, fancier lifts, that'll fix 'er.
post #38 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by tromano View Post
Now is the time to relive your youth! You can still ride the same lifts, sit on the same benches and eat off the same trays in the lodge, and ski the same ice, blue as ever@!@!@!@!

:

Bluer than Blue.
post #39 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by tromano View Post
Blueknob PA is pretty damn bad. Minimalistic grooming (snow piles need to be flattened at least once after you blow them), little snow making capacity, very slow to open terrain, no apparent infrastructure improvements since the the cold war era. No snow making on many trails which is pretty redonkulous in the midaltantic. Signature trails (with snow making) don't open until February given average winter conditions. Still an awesome place to ski when the conditions are right, but it could be one of the regions best--full stop--with better management and more money.
Interesting, would you call it poor management, or a purposeful attempt to not become another faux village pice of crap? I love BK just the way it is. Slow lifts, no frills, and some of the best terrain in the Mid Atlantic. Sure there is minimal snow making, but then again there is not much at MRG either. Quite a coincidence that your signiture is the same phrase that is on the BK sticker on my truck.

post #40 of 51
Well, there's Mt. Baker...

Hardly any grooming, no high speed lifts, no snowmaking at all, no nearby lodging, no daycare, no upscale food, daylodge from the cold war era....

I wouldn't change a thing.
post #41 of 51
hachimantai, Japan.

just a few single lifts, no grooming, no boundaries, no avi control, no patrol, no ski school, one dude selling tickets, a few lifties who don't bump chairs, one gigantic hotel occupied by a handful of riders, dinner/bed/breakfast/ticket for less than 50$ U.S.

a shame really to think that a resort could operate without any control, safety measures or bureaucracy and not be over run by a bunch of leftist lawyers accusing others of not being concerened for evveryone else's safety.

Oh yeah, the terrain is chalk-full of avi traps, cliffs, uncontrolled trees and cornices hanging all over the place from the top of the mountain to the top of the gullies down lower on the face. It's a gigantic accident waiting to happen and has been waiting to happen since the 1920's.
post #42 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiierx View Post
It is funny how we all have something to complain about. If we had stopped complaining years ago then we would not have the issues we have today. First it was the lift lines, then snow quality and so on (you know where I am going with this). We got what we wanted for the most part with the faster lifts, better snowmaking and nice resort upgrades and that came at a price. Remember these places are here to make money and I have not seen too many if any that are actually running in the black, meaning something has to give! Insurance costs for the resorts are also out of control, thanks to us sue happy people. We the snow enthusiests have caused the problems and that is we are never happy enough and always want more. .
I respectfully disagree. Epic is a powerful community and its opinions are observed (not to overstate that, either). If there's some negative buzz about a specific ski area on Epic, there's certainly a chance for ski areas to correct mistakes. I think of Epic as a kind of giant online suggestion box, and I think most people are fair minded here and there's always a diversity of opinion.
post #43 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullr View Post
I love BK. That sticker was on my car until it fell off. BK is about the best terrain in the southeast. BK is in a state park. I doubt they could turn it into a village if they tried. And BK is not MRG, they are too far south to play the no snow making game and get maybe 100" of natural a year. Their best trails are only only open like 2-3 weeks a season because it takes them 2-3 months to make snow on all their other trails and the best expert terrain waits till last. That is not a good thing.-
post #44 of 51
I have an extra sticker. PM me your address, I'll mail it to ya if you want.
post #45 of 51
Alta would have to top this list.......Operating since, what, 1930 something, has roughly 2,500 acres of skiing, all serviced by just 4 lifts.

They gotta up their game!
post #46 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugaree View Post
Alta would have to top this list.......Operating since, what, 1930 something, has roughly 2,500 acres of skiing, all serviced by just 4 lifts.

They gotta up their game!
Is this tongue in Cheek (If it is-Pardon my denseness!)? But if it's serious-you're nuts-Alta's perfect-the only change they ever need was to get ridd of the two-stage lift (Collins-Germania lift of old)- to get to the top-andf Voila! 3-4 years ago they put in that new Collins Chair! If I had to be stuck on one chair (and ski only terrain accessible from saiod chair) for the rest of my life-That'd be it!.

Never Had trouble Parking, getting around the hill, eating, etc at Alta-enlightened minimalism is the best management style of all.

Man-I'm ready to ski!
post #47 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiierx View Post
I only know of 2 of those areas, Okemo and Mad River. Both are great mountains which I have rarely heard anything bad about. I personally love Jay and Sugarloaf (jay being the favorite now) but I look past the management as much as possible, I enjoy skiing too much to think about what they need to do to make money.

I do believe you got my point though, management can't make everyone happy as they are trying to turn a profit. Profit will only be at our expense since most of the mountains have had to spend millions of dollars just to get us to go there!
I agree with you there. Some people just will not be happy. If they gave them free skiing they would complain that there was a lift line of 5 min. If the food was free, the burger would not have been cooked right. Parking lot was not spitting distance from the lift. Grooming..they want natural. Natural skiing, they would want groomed.

As far as Okemo..I miss stated in the past and I will stand my my miss statement, they do such a good job there, "they are beating people off at the door" :
post #48 of 51
Liam......just kidding.

This is not the forum to get the purists stirred up!!
(fun trying, though!)
post #49 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoontasan View Post
Jay Peak

JONG!

I sincerely hope that's sarcasm.........

Jay Peaks management is incredible....there are very few mountains in the country, let alone the east that can pull off the friendly, local, down to earth feel they have there, (i.e. not catering to the big resort/ we need every amenity crowds) and still turn a profit. They try and throw a new glade on the map every year, have some of, if not the best, trees in the east, the most snow in the east, plenty of lifts, little traversing.....

After looking at a few of your posts, I'd say about half or them are dedicated to badmouthing Jay. You're more than entitled to your own opinion....but if every other skier loves it there, what's wrong with you? Either your trolling or it seems to me like one of those situations where you point the finger and there's three pointing back at you....you might wanna take a look at that...just saying, might think you're better than you really are, I've never, ever heard any good skier talk bad about Jay.
post #50 of 51
Agreed prinah. Jay is awsome. My favorite east coast ski are hands down.
post #51 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie-Rich View Post
Mountain Creek is my first choice, but then again if it was the worst they would be out of business so a more accurate answer is:

All the ones that have closed for good.

But MC is the worst mountain I have been on.

Good point, especially since they just took a big chunk of the runs and turned them into MORE terrain parks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel