EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Your Three Cents on Skis
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Your Three Cents on Skis

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I thought I was a gearhead until I started lurking here. So, instead of giving you my supposed wisdom on one ski vs. another, I propose my three unassailable (I think) truths about all skis. And I invite you to give me yours.
  1. Cheap skis are better than expensive skis. Not in the sense that down-market package skis are better than top of the line. But in the sense that, given a choice, I always like to pay less. If I'm stumped and can't decide between two pairs of skis on the rack, I always grab the cheaper one. For me, there's a special enjoyment from getting a good pair of skis cheap. Makes me worry about them less, too, which leads to more enjoyment
  2. Every ski is, at some point in time, the best ski you've ever owned. There comes a moment, and sometimes it is only just one run or one series of turns, when the ski you're on seems like the best ski in the world. Even if it's a ski you've never liked before or never gotten used to. Go figure, but it's true.
  3. All skis eventually become rock skis. So ski 'em now, ski 'em hard.
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by prickly View Post
I thought I was a gearhead until I started lurking here. So, instead of giving you my supposed wisdom on one ski vs. another, I propose my three unassailable (I think) truths about all skis. And I invite you to give me yours.
  1. Cheap skis are better than expensive skis. Not in the sense that down-market package skis are better than top of the line. But in the sense that, given a choice, I always like to pay less. If I'm stumped and can't decide between two pairs of skis on the rack, I always grab the cheaper one. For me, there's a special enjoyment from getting a good pair of skis cheap. Makes me worry about them less, too, which leads to more enjoyment
  2. Every ski is, at some point in time, the best ski you've ever owned. There comes a moment, and sometimes it is only just one run or one series of turns, when the ski you're on seems like the best ski in the world. Even if it's a ski you've never liked before or never gotten used to. Go figure, but it's true.
  3. All skis eventually become rock skis. So ski 'em now, ski 'em hard.
2A. and a year later, you wonder how you ever liked that ski.
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by prickly View Post
  1. All skis eventually become rock skis. So ski 'em now, ski 'em hard.
Every ski I've ever owned became rock skis immediatly after I got bindings on them. The whole concept of having dedicated "rock skis" slays me. Unless you're skiing at Big Sky.
post #4 of 13
(1) Wrong
(2) Wrong
(3) Mostly wrong
post #5 of 13
1) Whatever ski I like the most will usually be the most expensive one.

2) It's hard to believe there is a better ski for ripping very high speed turns on hard snow than an old Kästle SG. (I admit that they don't demo DH or SG skis too often at my local hills , and I can't justify buying one untried, so I guess I'll hold my opinion for a while yet!)

3) Global warming will have to go a long way before I subject my favourite skis to some of the conditions I see other people abusing perfectly good skis in.
post #6 of 13
Quote:
(I admit that they don't demo DH or SG skis too often at my local hills
: They demo SG and DH boards AT ALL at Blue?!?! Isn't that pretty much admitting to being accessory to vehicular manslaughter of gapers? And furthermore, why was I not informed?
post #7 of 13
You can demo mine if you like; the bindings are antique too. Do you like to live dangerously?

Now that they will (starts Sunday) up the speeding tickets to 7-day on the spot license suspension and impounding of your vehicle + up to 10,000 fine for doing more than 50 kph over the limit, I may have to take the SGs out more often. BTW they said 2500 people were caught at those speeds by the OPP just last year (No, I wasn't one of them). YOu are automaticly "racing", even if you are the only car to be seen on a stretch of road on a four, errrr, I mean six hour drive to visit grandma.
post #8 of 13
My

-As awesome as my favourite ski is, I can hardly wait to see where my next bit grin will come from.
-a One year old pair of skis sells better than a two year old pair of skis
-Being Phickle with ski gear is fun
post #9 of 13
3a. Unless you win the Olympics on them, in which case they will probably end up in a museum or glass case.
post #10 of 13
Here's mine:

1. You can buy a turn. If you have more money than spare time you can improve your game with a simple ski purchase. You can also get a local's season worth of fresh tracks in a week at a heli operation.

2. You can earn your turns. Don't want to drop money on new gear? You don't have to. Practice and experience is more important than fancy new skis, we've all seen great skiers on really bad and outdated gear. The sport is about skill not gear, you don't need to spend ridiculous amounts of money to have fun skiing.

3. If you aren't having fun, you're doing it wrong.
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
The whole concept of having dedicated "rock skis" slays me. Unless you're skiing at Big Sky.
Or anywhere where it doesn't snow and edges that work might come in handy. Or late in the spring. I doubt even you would ski a half mile of dirt on your brand new skis, but we think nothing of it on the rockers.

-Cheap skis, as in literally cheaper not top of line stuff, are often much better skis than whatever is top dog at the moment.
-Some skis just plain suck.
-If you aren't breaking skis now and again, you aren't having enough fun.
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
-If you aren't breaking skis now and again, you aren't having enough fun.
Word. :
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by
[B
2.Every ski is, at some point in time, the best ski you've ever owned[/b]. There comes a moment, and sometimes it is only just one run or one series of turns, when the ski you're on seems like the best ski in the world. Even if it's a ski you've never liked before or never gotten used to. Go figure, but it's true.
I find this is true in other sports too, especially in golf. All of the sudden your playing horrible ..you're all over the place ..can't get a thing done right ..then without warning you hit the shot of the year, feel super and your sucked right back into the sport feeling great all over again.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Your Three Cents on Skis