New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ski Club Fundraising Ideas

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
I just accepted a position on my kid’s race program board to develop some fund raising events. Would any of you share what has worked or not worked for fundraising for your ski club? There are four major racing clubs nearby, and things like ski swaps are already being done. I was thinking of events like an “Iron leg” competition, running race, etc, but I’m just beginning the brainstorming part of this endeavor so I’m looking for ideas to develop for next year. I'd like something that could turn into an annual event.

Thanks.


John
post #2 of 17
I have always thought that setting up some gates (perhaps dual sets for head to head) and charging a small fee for use would be a good way to generate some funding. (yeah I know, stupid Liability

The times could be posted and kept track of as a contest for the day.

This would generate income (granted not much income) and expose people directly to the sport of racing.

Perhaps this can be expanded into a media race, getting air time on radio and TV.

What about Corporate sponsorship. Hockey teams get money to have a company logo on their jerseys, Why not the same thing on the warm up coats, coaches jackets, Race Pinnies, or even the gate banners.

Additional sponsoship for stickers to go on skis and helmets?

I hate to corprately commercialize the sport but it does cost alot of money to run race programs and oil companies can't say they haven't got extra cash to spend on the community in Alberta.

Also work with the kids in the program and let them design some cool T shirts and Hoodies and have them for sale at the hill or at races.

What about 50 / 50 draws at the races?

What about meat or grocery draws at the races? (no need for refrigeration )

thats all I have for now.
post #3 of 17
10-10 tickets. it is based on 10 weekly lottery number drawings. 250 tickets with 4, 3 digit numbers each, cost is 10 dollars per ticket and the weekly winner gets 100 bucks.

Sell all tickets and you are guaranteed 1400 bucks--printing tickets runs 100 or so.

Used to do for Hockey---give each player a equal number of tickets and they are responsible to sell them all or at least cough up the cash for all that are allotted to them. That evens the playing field so taht all members share the burden of fundraising.

My philosophy has been do one big event (1,500 IN A 10-10 DRAWING) rather than15 bake sales at 100 each or hot chocolate at the finsih linefor a quarter -- not that there is anything wrong with that.
post #4 of 17
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the ideas -

I ski Marmot 2 to 3 days every year. Always enjoy the runs off the Knob, especially some of the bowls. Eagle East runs are fun too, when there is enough snow. Had great snow there two years ago, I think it was February, there was a dump of about 20 inches. I came up the Jasper Banff highway from Louise and was the second to last car to get through befor the hwy was closed for two days - snow rubbed the bottom panel of my van while driving over the pass. The skiing was awesome that weekend!
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmot mb View Post
I have always thought that setting up some gates (perhaps dual sets for head to head) and charging a small fee for use would be a good way to generate some funding. (yeah I know, stupid Liability

The times could be posted and kept track of as a contest for the day.

This would generate income (granted not much income) and expose people directly to the sport of racing.

Perhaps this can be expanded into a media race, getting air time on radio and TV.

What about Corporate sponsorship. Hockey teams get money to have a company logo on their jerseys, Why not the same thing on the warm up coats, coaches jackets, Race Pinnies, or even the gate banners.

Additional sponsoship for stickers to go on skis and helmets?

I hate to corprately commercialize the sport but it does cost alot of money to run race programs and oil companies can't say they haven't got extra cash to spend on the community in Alberta.

Also work with the kids in the program and let them design some cool T shirts and Hoodies and have them for sale at the hill or at races.

What about 50 / 50 draws at the races?

What about meat or grocery draws at the races? (no need for refrigeration )

thats all I have for now.
These are not bad ideas, but consider taht tee shirts and hoodies cost money and unless your program can sell in excess of a couple gross of all sizes it is going to be expensive to set up and wharehouse hundreds of garments. did that once --- had dozens of tees for a childrens museum in my basement for a couple years----one of the unanticipated problems ---I smoked like a chimney at the time---all the tees reeked after awhile---of course I had no idea what the problem was!
post #6 of 17
What's the $ goal?
post #7 of 17
Charity Auctions, normally gets the most money... However, its hell to get sponsors.
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianskier View Post
I ski Marmot 2 to 3 days every year.
Don't be shy to drop me a line when you are going, I am often there if the snow has fallen. Always nice to meet up with a Bear, and there are not that many in Western Canada.
post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 
Thanks again for the ideas.

The fund raising is more of a general goal. Costs for coaches keep going up, especially with competition with other clubs for good coaches. Equipment costs are are also increasing and there is constant up keep of equipment as well. For example, we like our coachs to have radios. These tend to take a beating and cost about $600 a shot. Batteries for drills are expensive, and so are snow bits, gates, etc. It's becomming more difficult to operate in the black. As a result, we want to broaden the funding base.

Marmot mb - I think that there is a race at Marmot in February - I don't recall the date. Think snow!
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianskier View Post
Marmot mb - I think that there is a race at Marmot in February - I don't recall the date. Think snow!
Race days are good, they are all busy racing, leaving more powder for me
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwan1 View Post
Charity Auctions, normally gets the most money... However, its hell to get sponsors.
We get great results with this. Naturally, most of the sponsors are somehow snared from the Board of Directors of the ski foundation and their associates. Then, once you've donated, you're never let off the hook. But, since we're a small town and most people have some connection to the mountain, we normally raise tens of thousands of $ this way.
post #12 of 17
Raffle off Ski Totes?
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
Raffle off Ski Totes?
Actually, a lot of it is so many yards of asphalt, so many hours of tractor use, etc., geared toward developers (a lot around these days). We also get fine art prints, hair cuts, rafting trips, signed ski gear, meals at local restaurants, etc.
post #14 of 17
Thread Starter 
Philpug,

Do you have any Ski Totes you could donate???
post #15 of 17
Come on, ski totes for Raffle? Who is going to buy those tickets? In order for raffle works, you need some thing substaintial, such as a ski trip or pair of fat skis, etc.
post #16 of 17
Thread Starter 
Sorry, poor attempt at humor
post #17 of 17
Phil
Do you have any fat skis you could donate ??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion