or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Suggestions for Super G ski

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
Now that ski swap season is upon us, I was thinking I might pick up a shorter 200cm-ish, 30M Super G. This will not be used in races, but I may try to poach some early ride speed training with the Juniors from time to time. I'm exclusively a tech event skier, but I'm feeling like the parking brake is on and I need to expand my comfort zone a little. You know, scare myself. My GS skis have a certain range where I'm feathering the edges a little too much, and I'd rather not do that at speed.

Any suggestions for a couple seaon old Super G to be on the lookout for? Something with a nice, even flex and relatively forgiving nature. I'm not looking to be the fastest guy on the hill, just to expand my range a little. A lot of speed skis go on sale during the swaps for next to nothing, and I'd like a little knowledge before I plunk down the money and possibly hurt myself.
post #2 of 22
Just my humble opinion on it... Don't go shorter than 200-205 cuz then if you ski wide out courses and your a slightly bigger guy its gonna feel pretty thin. Also don't worry if the skis are old. To my knowledge speed ski construction for most manufacturers has been the same for quite some time, oh and when you buy them ask if they have been in any whipe outs, speed skis can get it very rough in a whipe and they may be structurally damaged (happened to me). So out of personal experience...

Old (02-03) Red atomics usually last forever, good ski, nice and snappy

Rossis speed usually die after 2 good season so I would avoid these

Dynastar don't last long enough to be in a ski sale XD

Never been on volkl but I hear they are kinda spongy, if your into that awsome but watch to see if the ski is dead.

Nordica is real good too! They have a good lasting construction, but they tend to run stiffer than Atomic :S

Elan makes nice skis, I would recommend those also.

Anyways that would be my 2 cents
post #3 of 22
Mike-

Atomic and Nordica would be my first thoughts. I have skied used pairs of both and they still hung on pretty well.

But BE CAREFUL. Skiing these skis anytime after first chair with the public on the hill is definitely taking a risk. I love the thought of getting the brakes off and hope you can take advantage of some JR training time to do it. Unfortunately I have seen several bad outcomes with the big sticks on the hill outside of training time.


ENJOY them-
post #4 of 22
Thread Starter 
I found some '01-'02 NOS flat 208cm(?) SGs online for about $170, but I was wanting to look at the swaps to see what is available. These will be for the ocasional early ride or closed course day, with maybe a mid-week, low-crowd day thrown in there. One or two runs a day, just to get the blood flowing.
post #5 of 22

What they said...

...you don't say your height and weight, so it's a little hard to come up with specifics for length. I am 5' 8", 175, and I use everything from a 195 to a 204, depending on the course. Go see what Gonads has for sale; you've never going to get a better speed event ski at a better price...

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=57280
post #6 of 22
I have seen new 05/06 Head SG skis on ebay for very little $$,
post #7 of 22
Thread Starter 
I'm a bit of a chunker (5'11" and 195lbs). Must be the family life getting to me. Usually there's a good selection of speed event skis at the swaps from juniors moving up/on or sponsored athletes with new boards. Like I said, I'm not looking for the fastest or beefiest boards out there, just something that arcs a little longer. I considered some older/longer GS skis, but I'd rather just go with a speed specific ski. We'll see what turns up in the next couple weeks.
post #8 of 22
I wish I could help, but this dinosaur still likes his old 208 Kästle SGs (over twice the radius your looking for). They have a nice solid reassuring feeling, no matter how fast the world flies by...............Maybe Nordica?
post #9 of 22
Stay away from any pairs with strong camber.

A good SG ski for your weight should be relatively firm to flex. That'll help keep it settled, not floppy. A floppy ski is not forgiving.

A plate that allows you to move bindings fore-aft.

Check very closely for matched skis - SG's are prone to 'tweaks' - twists and bends from high speed deflections from falls, pre-releases, etc.

Spend time on terminal velocity slopes (green/blues) to understand the skis prior to full speed ripping. If they feel over-responsive, lower your stack height.
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
I wish I could help, but this dinosaur still likes his old 208 Kästle SGs (over twice the radius your looking for). They have a nice solid reassuring feeling, no matter how fast the world flies by...............Maybe Nordica?
Hey Ghost!
Are those the orange pair of Kastle SG skis? I have a pair of 203 from the early 90s that I used to race GS and SG. I still have mine with the old latch-in Marker MRR binding. Maybe I should take them out for kicks.

BTW Alaska Mike, I prefer the Nordica race skis, but the Atomics are scary fast, too.

Dennis
post #11 of 22
Mine are even older. I think they are the original Rx National Team SGs, red/white, mostly white at the front, red with white lettering at the back. Lots of very heavy metal layers. A year or two later they came out with a version that had a lighter metal in them. My daughter has a camera. I'll try and convince her to take some pics.
post #12 of 22
Thread Starter 
Several people (elsewhere) have suggested using a long GS ski, with a corresponding longer turn radius. My hesitation is based on my impression that the construction may be significantly different- enough so that even if the radius is similar, the flex and stability may be different.

Thoughts?
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
Several people (elsewhere) have suggested using a long GS ski, with a corresponding longer turn radius. My hesitation is based on my impression that the construction may be significantly different- enough so that even if the radius is similar, the flex and stability may be different.

Thoughts?
Mike,
It is common in rec leagues for racers to use their old school long GS skis for SG. Most of these racers aren't strong enough to flex a WC SG ski anyways. If I remember correctly, the last generation of straighter cut GS skis had turn radii around 35 meters.

If you choose to use a long GS ski for SG, make sure you get a ski that is built plenty stout. A few years back I raced on a pair of 200 cm Elan R3 GS (1993 model I think). They were non-FIS skis. What I noticed was that the skis felt a tad unstable when I made higher speed arcs in the tighter turns. I switched 3 years ago to a 198 cm Nordica K0.0 GS, and it works better for me. I'd love to have a pair of SG skis, but I just bought a new fly fishing rod.
post #14 of 22

I wouldn't mess around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny1969 View Post
Mike,
It is common in rec leagues for racers to use their old school long GS skis for SG. Most of these racers aren't strong enough to flex a WC SG ski anyways. If I remember correctly, the last generation of straighter cut GS skis had turn radii around 35 meters.

If you choose to use a long GS ski for SG, make sure you get a ski that is built plenty stout. A few years back I raced on a pair of 200 cm Elan R3 GS (1993 model I think). They were non-FIS skis. What I noticed was that the skis felt a tad unstable when I made higher speed arcs in the tighter turns. I switched 3 years ago to a 198 cm Nordica K0.0 GS, and it works better for me. I'd love to have a pair of SG skis, but I just bought a new fly fishing rod.
...with a long GS ski. I have a good article written by one of RMMs resident speed event standouts on why not that I'll reference when I get a chance...
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiRacer55 View Post
...with a long GS ski. I have a good article written by one of RMMs resident speed event standouts on why not that I'll reference when I get a chance...
The Super G event that we have in our club race series is really an open GS in my opinion. The resorts and the league prefer to keep the speeds a little more managable for those who never competed in a speed event. I can get away with a long GS ski. If I were racing masters SG events, I would definitely use a dedicated SG ski.

Again... my fly fishing budget is conflicting with my ski budget.
post #16 of 22

Not true...

...Gonads has some great speed skis for sale at very reasonable prices:

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=57280
post #17 of 22

I know! I know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiRacer55 View Post
...Gonads has some great speed skis for sale at very reasonable prices:

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=57280
I saw that link. Great prices on SG skis. If I have to, I still have my industry hookups. Also I know of a shop in Truckee that has a lot of last year's "speed lease" skis that were hardly touched. I'm glad all those skis had bindings on race plates that could be fitted with any adult boot sole. Now... I just have to think if my fly fishing habit is that important.
post #18 of 22

Give in to temptation...

...I have a pair of "leased" 205 Atomic SGs that are incredible skis. Trust me...if you've never been on a real Super G or DH ski, it's better than sex. Just remember..."SL and GS are just events. Downhill is a cult..."

If you don't believe me, study this carefully:

http://www.rmmskiracing.org/articles...1-Speed101.pdf
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiRacer55 View Post
...I have a pair of "leased" 205 Atomic SGs that are incredible skis. Trust me...if you've never been on a real Super G or DH ski, it's better than sex. Just remember..."SL and GS are just events. Downhill is a cult..."

If you don't believe me, study this carefully:

http://www.rmmskiracing.org/articles...1-Speed101.pdf
Trust me... I believe you in regards to SG skis. I have a pair of 203 Kastle RX15 SGM race stock skis from 92 (I used to have 2 pairs). Skiing on them was a hoot. I can't remember the last time I took them out, but I think I am due for a bomber run this year.
post #20 of 22
As someone else mentioned, just be careful. There will be other people out there. In my own experience, fast skiing can be very intimidating to some people on the hill, even when you are not even close to them. (I say this, having received the talking-to from the ski patrol) You may find yourself persona non grata at your mountain even while exercising appropriate caution.
I have a pair of 207 cm race stock Volkl p20 RS Supers that, athough 10-12 yrs old, definitely get the adrenaline flowing.
post #21 of 22
Thread Starter 
My foray into the speed events will be limited to early rides with the juniors, closed courses, and mid-week days in the early morning when there is no one on the hill (we have those days).

Visibility is going to be a key factor, as whiteouts are common and I get a little tentative when they happen. If my head isn't in the game, I'm not going to strap on the long boards.
post #22 of 22

That's the right way to do business...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
My foray into the speed events will be limited to early rides with the juniors, closed courses, and mid-week days in the early morning when there is no one on the hill (we have those days).

Visibility is going to be a key factor, as whiteouts are common and I get a little tentative when they happen. If my head isn't in the game, I'm not going to strap on the long boards.
...here, try this:


http://www.rmmskiracing.org/articles...1-Speed101.pdf
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home