New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How's your French?

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
Un petit d'un petit s'étonne aux Halles.
Un petit du'n petit, ah!, degrés te fallent.
Indolent qui ne sort cesse, indolent qui ne se mène
Qu'importe un petit d'un petit tout Gai de Reguennes.



Do NOT try to translate it. Read it out loud in French and pretend it's really English.
post #2 of 25
Nicely done ! (though "fallent" is not a word. And the whole thing basically meaningless)
I had a really hard time to decrypt the english version. My accent sucks.
post #3 of 25
Thread Starter 
Good work, phillipeR!

I'm waiting for jamesdeluxe to sign in on this one. Those I know who are most fluent in French seem to have the most difficulty with the decryption.
post #4 of 25
Sorry to be dense, but I'm coming up with a goose egg as well.
post #5 of 25
Cute Oboe, "cracked" but cute.
post #6 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdeluxe View Post
Sorry to be dense, but I'm coming up with a goose egg as well.
Don't know about the "goose" part, but you're on track with the rest!

Read it out loud as if it really were French language. Then listen to the sounds you make and pretend they're in English. If you can't find the answer . . . go through the looking glass.
post #7 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiDeC58 View Post
Cute Oboe, "cracked" but cute.
FUN-NY!!!! Did you catch that remark, jd?
post #8 of 25
It might work better if someone reads it aloud in French to you, but you think they are speaking English. Keep trying, you'll put it together.
post #9 of 25
That's too funny.
post #10 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdeluxe View Post
Sorry to be dense, but I'm coming up with a goose egg as well.
GOOSE egg! Maybe you're just pulling my leg! Of COURSE it's a "Goose" egg!
post #11 of 25
Cute.


The key to getting this is repeating this aloud, several times in a row, and recognizing what it sounds like in English:

Quote:
Un petit, d'un petit...
post #12 of 25
I've got a book full of these! Haven't read them for ages but I may go and root out the book now....
post #13 of 25
oy!
post #14 of 25
I'll take mine with Tabasco.

I like this one, read aloud:

I am wee Todd did.
I am sofa king wee Todd did.
post #15 of 25
Then there's the Newf'neze..

M R Ducks.
R not.
R 2.
Whale oil beef hooked! M R ducks!
post #16 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
Then there's the Newf'neze..

M R Ducks.
R not.
R 2.
Whale oil beef hooked! M R ducks!
So, Ghost - were day or knot?
post #17 of 25
O sibile
Si ergo
Fortibus es in ero

O Nobile
Demes Trux
Wates Inem
Causendux
post #18 of 25
ABCD fishes
MNO fishes
OSAR fishes
MITTY BITTY fishes
post #19 of 25
As usual Baja gives the clue that makes solving the mystery possible!

Good one Oboe! (thanks baja.)
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
Then there's the Newf'neze..

M R Ducks.
R not.
R 2.
Whale oil beef hooked! M R ducks!
Ghost,

This is old. I learned it probably 30 years ago. It was all around the Chesapeake Bay region, because the local watermen have a rather strange accent. As far as I can remember it goes like this:

MR Ducks
MR Not
SdayR
R Not
R2CMwangs?
LIBMR Ducks!

There's a bar in Ocean City, MD called MR Ducks. It's been around for many decades. It's where the college kids living there for the summer go to get drunk.
post #21 of 25
"Tout les Cheveaux de Reine."

This has always been one of my favorites since I was 3 years old:

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear.
Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair
Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't very fuzzy was he?
post #22 of 25
Un-PC Alert ...

pcskier (of all people) ... makes refernce to "Fuzzy Wuzzy"

Black people have protested that term and even had the Kippling poem banned.
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki View Post
Un-PC Alert ...

pcskier (of all people) ... makes refernce to "Fuzzy Wuzzy"

Black people have protested that term and even had the Kippling poem banned.
Well, I feel the need to defend myself now by pointing out two fallacies in the above assertion.

First, "PC" does not refer to correctness of any kind. Rather, it indicates the place where I rest my weary head after schussing.

Secondly, I was clearly not making a derogatory racial reference, but was instead referring to the following well-known theorem:

The Fuzzy Wuzzy Fallacy is a name for a wargaming theory coined by Richard Hamblen in the September 1976 edition of the Avalon Hill General wargaming magazine. The Fuzzy Wuzzy Fallacy states that a single soldier with 2× firepower or attack strength is not equal to two soldiers with 1× firepower or attack strength. Instead, the soldier with 2× firepower is actually worth of the 1× soldier, if either soldier can be killed in a single hit. This is another form of Lanchester's law.

As a result, tactics and strategy designed around this theory emphasize greater numbers and time, which the speed and mobility of the units in action can effect.

Duh. You probably just misplaced your September 1976 edition of the Avalon Hill General magazine. Easy mistake.
post #24 of 25
You noted the grin right? Duh! You took that serious ... : like?

Therein lies the insult ... and yeah the Fuzzy Wuzzy of Kippling were from New Zealand if my memory serves. Just like Little Black Sambo was from India ... gross overkill by the PC Police .... twerent' no tigers in Africa.
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
The Fuzzy Wuzzy Fallacy states that a single soldier with 2× firepower or attack strength is not equal to two soldiers with 1× firepower or attack strength. Instead, the soldier with 2× firepower is actually worth of the 1× soldier, if either soldier can be killed in a single hit. This is another form of Lanchester's law.

As a result, tactics and strategy designed around this theory emphasize greater numbers and time, which the speed and mobility of the units in action can effect.

Duh. You probably just misplaced your September 1976 edition of the Avalon Hill General magazine. Easy mistake.
Not according to RAMBO!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Humour and Fun Stuff