or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › hike up Lone Peak
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

hike up Lone Peak

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Yesterday was a lovely day for hiking so I thought I'd share some of these pretty views:








post #2 of 14
Coverage looks good......about as many rocks are showing as you see in January.
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
...and just as sharp when you slip on your @rse!
post #4 of 14
Very nice.

Is that an old mining quarry?

Ive read so much about old dump sites, mining sites and military test sites that I think I would be afraid to venture off on most of these scenic areas. Some of our most prestine looking places I have found out are very dangerous to us due to the chemicals and sometimes radiation around from the past.
post #5 of 14
Lone Peak is decomposing shale rock. Everything you see in the pictures is caused by natural forces grinding at the crumbling rocks (glaciers, snow, thermal features, gravity, wind, etc.)
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie-Rich View Post
Ive read so much about old dump sites, mining sites and military test sites that I think I would be afraid to venture off on most of these scenic areas. Some of our most prestine looking places I have found out are very dangerous to us due to the chemicals and sometimes radiation around from the past.
Then check Colorado off your list. Ever follow the drainages that feed into Clear Creek and into the Coors factory? If you saw some of the zillions of mines above, you'd never drink Coors again......no wait, they have ceramic filters. :

(Nice TR Martin.)
post #7 of 14
I know! During Bullrun I got more aquainted with the area and could not believe how that place has been used up spit out by industry and the military and now is considered wonderfully pristine...scary stuff in Utah and Colorado...yikes!

(BTW, Coors is fe'r girls and college kids )
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
Then check Colorado off your list. Ever follow the drainages that feed into Clear Creek and into the Coors factory? If you saw some of the zillions of mines above, you'd never drink Coors again......no wait, they have ceramic filters. :

(Nice TR Martin.)
Why would you ever drink Coors to begin with?


BTW, cool pictures Martin.
post #9 of 14
Martin -

I recognize where most of the pictures were taken except the last one. Where is it?
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio View Post
Martin -

I recognize where most of the pictures were taken except the last one. Where is it?

I believe thats the out of bounds stuff on the backside. Its between Shedhorn, and Moonlight.

I could be wrong though.
post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGGOT View Post
I believe thats the out of bounds stuff on the backside.
Yes, Lone Lake Cirque. I have never skied back there, but the lake is certainly a pretty green color in the summer.
post #12 of 14
Wicked!!

Thanks for posting.
post #13 of 14
Must have been quite a climb, Martin. I salute you for it and thank you for sharing the great photos.
post #14 of 14
Nolo -

The last picture is of the area we would have seen if we had the guts to look down while hugging the rope off the tram during Little Bear's preESA Big Sky tour.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Trip Reports
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › hike up Lone Peak