EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Volkl Racetiger GS - race stock or world cup?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Volkl Racetiger GS - race stock or world cup?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
I'm buying new GS skis this year and am a little perplexed by Volkl's offerings. They make a 185 Race Stock and a 187 World Cup Stock, both 27 m GS skis. Does anyone know what the fundamental differences are between the two models? Also, which compares to last season's FIS ski, in terms of level of performance. Obviously, the big shot in me wants to go for the 187, but I'm worried it will be too much ski.
post #2 of 15
Are you sure the 185 is 27m? I was under the impression that it was carryover from last season.
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 
I'm not totally sure, but my Ski Racing Canada Buyer's Guide lists a 187 and a 193 in the WC and a 185 and a 190 in the Race Stock. It says for both models that the radius is 27 m. The sidecut listed for the 185 is 104-67-87, different from last year's 106-67-89. However, there is still a women's legal 185 with the old measurements that satisfies 23 m radius. Too many models...
post #4 of 15
Last season, before they changed the shape, our local racer service rep told me that all the "race stock" Volkls were essentially the same, but the 185 (women's GS), 190 and 193 (men's GS) were the actual skis being used on the world cup.

The 175 and 180, although essentially the same construction, were slightly different. How they differed I don't know... a bit softer and turnier probably?

I'm not up to speed on this years models, though...

What would you like to know about Blizzard? Switch over, man!! Everyone is doing it!!
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.P. Racer View Post
Last season, before they changed the shape, our local racer service rep told me that all the "race stock" Volkls were essentially the same, but the 185 (women's GS), 190 and 193 (men's GS) were the actual skis being used on the world cup.

The 175 and 180, although essentially the same construction, were slightly different. How they differed I don't know... a bit softer and turnier probably?

I'm not up to speed on this years models, though...

What would you like to know about Blizzard? Switch over, man!! Everyone is doing it!!
I am picking up my second pair of Mag SL's today. :
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
I am picking up my second pair of Mag SL's today. :
Aren't those things awesome?
post #7 of 15
So according to the guide, Volkl will be having the GS ski in 193,190,187 and two different 185's. Wow, I suppose having too many options is better than having too few...
post #8 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
So according to the guide, Volkl will be having the GS ski in 193,190,187 and two different 185's. Wow, I suppose having too many options is better than having too few...
That's what it says!
post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
so does anyone have some insight?
post #10 of 15
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise To The Top View Post
Still 185 and 190 lengths listed for 07/08. Directly from www.volkl.com.
post #12 of 15
^Where?
post #13 of 15
Thread Starter 
I paid my shop a visit and had a look at the race catalogue. Race Stock in 175, 180, 185, 190. World Cup in 183, 187, 193.
post #14 of 15
World Cup is FIS legal, so I wouldnt bother with the racestocks, they only have 23.
post #15 of 15
187=real deal WC ski with metal all the way to the edges and mother stiff,inclined hockey rinks only with quads like Hermann
185=thicker edge material,metal does not extend to edges and is quite tasty for SR turns all over the MTN
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Volkl Racetiger GS - race stock or world cup?