EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Ex-Racer starting to ski again - need ski advice
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ex-Racer starting to ski again - need ski advice

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Hi,

So I'm an ex-racer but I haven't skied in the past year. I want to start skiing again (recreationally) and I'm looking for advice on skis.

Basically I'm looking for a race-like pair of skis but not with a FIS-like radius (slalom skis are to exhausting for recreational skiing and GS skis are impossible on the weekends with so many skiers on the slopes). So optimally I'm looking for the stiffest ski possible that is 175-180 in lenght and has 16-18m radius - you get the idea.

Do you know if there are ''race stock'' skis that fit this description - I'm thinking skiercross-style race skis (but I figure these may actually be real GS skis...)

So in the regular skis I have been looking at the new fischer progressor. These seem like a pretty good match, only drawback is its a new model so won't be able to find a pair say on Ebay at a decent price (e.g. new skis but last year's model). Otherwise I've been looking at the Volkl Supersport all-star, that can be had for about 500-600 with bindings (06'07 model). How much of a step-down if this from the fischer ski or another comparable ski ?

Any advice much appreciated

thanks
post #2 of 20
The All Star is not a step down in stiffness at all. If anything, the AS may be a little stiffer than the Progressor. If stiffness is your main criteria, the Progressor is possibly not your best choice as there are a number of skis that are stiffer. You could also look for a Nordica Speedmachine Mach 3-Ti or the old Volkl Superspeed. Both of those are even stiffer than the AS.

SJ
post #3 of 20
As an afterthought.....anything that is true "race stock" is going to be just that and therefore will be FIS spec. This includes skiercross skis. Anything with a non spec shape or length will not be built to the same standards as the "real deal"

SJ
post #4 of 20
Seems to me that where you ski is the most important consideration.

East and ice or West and pow or cement?
post #5 of 20
You need to broaden your horizons. Get out and have some fun on skis, now that you're not racing you may find that the sport is fun. Try some skis that will make FUN a higher priority. Burly stiff skis that let you charge on groomers are...limiting.
post #6 of 20
Assuming you are a 175 lbs or larger skier & you want a hard snow ski with enough versatility for a New England powder day, I would consider the following;

2007 Fischer Worldcup RC 112-66-97mm sandwich construction in a 175cm or 180cm

2007 Fischer RX9 110-69-96mm in a 175cm or 180cm

2007 Elan Speedwave 14 116-69-105mm sandwich construction in a 176mm

2007 Head XRC 1200 116-69-102mm sandwich construction in a 177cm

These can be found in the $500 to $700 price range.

If you are a Rocky Mountain or West Coast skier there are many more to consider, including the Head Monster 82 or Volkl AC4. None of the suggestions here are anything like a true race stock ski.

Michael
post #7 of 20
I would say, since you obviously aren't looking for a deep-snow ski and have decided against GS race skis, Fischer WC RC, Atomic SX12, Nordica Mach 3 Power. I've only got experience on the SX11 (which is great btw), and WC SC though, the rest is guestimating.
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettscv View Post

2007 Fischer Worldcup RC 112-66-97mm sandwich construction in a 175cm or 180cm
I highly recommend the RC...fyi - I was out at raceskis.com recently and noticed they have the prior year ski(w/binding) in stock.
post #9 of 20
Stockli Cross Pro in 177cm, 113/72/98 R20.2, sandwich construction, awesome ski but a little bit wider under foot in order to give it a little bit more versatility.
post #10 of 20
Upfront disclaimer: I rep for Head.

As barrettscv said, I think the Head iXRC 1200 in a 177 would do what you're asking. I would also suggest the Head SuperShape Speed in a 177. It has a slightly stiffer overall flex and a slightly longer turn radius (15.4 for the Speed vs 14.3 for the 1200, both in a 170cm length).

Both are full sandwich skis with a pretty true race "feel". I'd probably recommend the SuperShape Speed given your criteria, but both are excellent skis.

Here are specs on the Speed:

http://www.head.com/ski/products.php...=racing&id=902

And here are the specs on the 1200:

http://www.head.com/ski/products.php...ssive &id=918

Good luck in your search.
post #11 of 20

I Can Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettscv View Post
Assuming you are a 175 lbs or larger skier & you want a hard snow ski with enough versatility for a New England powder day, I would consider the following;

2007 Fischer Worldcup RC 112-66-97mm sandwich construction in a 175cm or 180cm

2007 Fischer RX9 110-69-96mm in a 175cm or 180cm

2007 Elan Speedwave 14 116-69-105mm sandwich construction in a 176mm

2007 Head XRC 1200 116-69-102mm sandwich construction in a 177cm

These can be found in the $500 to $700 price range.

If you are a Rocky Mountain or West Coast skier there are many more to consider, including the Head Monster 82 or Volkl AC4. None of the suggestions here are anything like a true race stock ski.

Michael
I have most of the ski's and more mentioned above by Michael and Bob for sale, all are great choices! I can save you some money, Prices range from $300-$450 plus shipping. These are all my personal ski's, the wife says I have to clean the basement and get rid of some ski's!

I had the Volkl All Stars and didn't like, sold them last season.

2005 Fischer Worldcup RC (175cm)with bindings, excellent condition!
2007 Fischer Worldcup RC (175cm)without Bindings, like new!
2007 Fischer Worldcup RC (180cm)without Bindings, brand new!
2007 Fischer RX9 (175cm) with bindings, brand new!
2007 Head XRC1200 (177cm) with bindings, Like New!
2007 Head Super Shape Speed (177cm) with bindings, Like New!
2005 Rossignol 9S Oversize (173cm) with bindings, excellent condition!

Let me know if I can be of help to you, you can contact me through this site or call me at 612-845-2742.

Thanks,
Buckwild
post #12 of 20
The XRC1200's are the new wider 2007 models!
post #13 of 20
Hey, I'm just curious, but why'd you stop skiing for a year? I think it might be similar to what I went through.

I raced growing up, but got WAY burnt out on it. Kept doing it for a year or two after I was sick of it. Once I quit, I wasn't really that interested in skiing any more. I still skied some, since I lived at a resort, but it just didn't do much for me. After about a half a season of blah, something clicked for me, and I started really loving steeper faster lines.

Anyways, I can't offer you any suggestions that fit your criteria, but I might be able to offer some that, while they weren't what you were asking for, might be something you'll love.

What type of racing did you like best? I was a speed even kinda guy. Me, and other ex racers I know that were speed even people like Dynastar Legend Pros, Head supermojos, and Rossignol Squads.

Somehow I think you were more of a SL kinda guy. You might look into something longer, but softer than a traditional SL ski. It might help you to ski the whole mountain like you like to ski a SL course. Maybe Volkl Gotamas. Outside of a race course, and even more so if you're off groomers, super short skis just aren't very versatile, IMVHO.
post #14 of 20
Stockli SC ... .... never had a complaint!
post #15 of 20
You should check out the stockli laser cross pro or the stormrider XL. Both are pretty burly race construction skis with slightly wider waists than GS skis, and sidecuts in the low GS range, around 20-22m. Keep in mind most real GS skis have sidecuts in the 25-30m range.
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGGOT View Post
Hey, I'm just curious, but why'd you stop skiing for a year? I think it might be similar to what I went through.

I raced growing up, but got WAY burnt out on it. Kept doing it for a year or two after I was sick of it. Once I quit, I wasn't really that interested in skiing any more. I still skied some, since I lived at a resort, but it just didn't do much for me. After about a half a season of blah, something clicked for me, and I started really loving steeper faster lines.

Anyways, I can't offer you any suggestions that fit your criteria, but I might be able to offer some that, while they weren't what you were asking for, might be something you'll love.

What type of racing did you like best? I was a speed event kinda guy. Me, and other ex racers I know that were speed event people like Dynastar Legend Pros, Head supermojos, and Rossignol Squads.

Somehow I think you were more of a SL kinda guy. You might look into something longer, but softer than a traditional SL ski. It might help you to ski the whole mountain like you like to ski a SL course. Maybe Volkl Gotamas. Outside of a race course, and even more so if you're off groomers, super short skis just aren't very versatile, IMVHO.
Wow. I'm the exact same dude as MAGGOT! Except I do race a little still... league nights in Michigan, but when I'm out west, racing is the farthest thing from my mind.

Gotama's are a good suggestion, or Mantras. On hardpack, Mantras feel like a race ski, but are wide enough for good soft snow performance. They are turnier than a lot of skis in that width category too. I'd definitely check those out if I were you.
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckwild View Post
I have most of the ski's and more mentioned above by Michael and Bob for sale, all are great choices! I can save you some money, Prices range from $300-$450 plus shipping. These are all my personal ski's, the wife says I have to clean the basement and get rid of some ski's!

I had the Volkl All Stars and didn't like, sold them last season.

2005 Fischer Worldcup RC (175cm)with bindings, excellent condition!
2007 Fischer Worldcup RC (175cm)without Bindings, like new!
2007 Fischer Worldcup RC (180cm)without Bindings, brand new!
2007 Fischer RX9 (175cm) with bindings, brand new!
2007 Head XRC1200 (177cm) with bindings, Like New!
2007 Head Super Shape Speed (177cm) with bindings, Like New!
2005 Rossignol 9S Oversize (173cm) with bindings, excellent condition!

Let me know if I can be of help to you, you can contact me through this site or call me at 612-845-2742.

Thanks,
Buckwild
Thanks to all who responded, I'm glad I could help. I have sold most of the ski's on the list including the following:
2005 Fischer WC RC in 175cm.
2007 Fischer RX9 in 175cm.
2007 Head XRC1200 in 177cm.
2007 Head Super Shape Speed in 177cm.

I still have the 2007 Fischer World Cup RC's in both 175cm and 180cm as well as a pair of 2005 & 2007 Rossignol 9S Oversize both in 173cm.

Thanks again,
Buckwild
post #18 of 20
Think about last year's Stockli XL, which was stiffer than the 08, and can handle everything from steep ice to boot-top chop or powder. The new Laser Cross's are a bit quicker, bit less float, otherwise fill same niche. Lot of ex-racers swear by them; I own the XL's and think they're the most versatile ski made.
post #19 of 20
I also own last years Stormrider XL's and agree, I won't be trading them for the new 2008 non-wood core model!
post #20 of 20
Head Supershape, four flavors to choose from.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Ex-Racer starting to ski again - need ski advice