I won $5 once, but that wouldn't even buy lunch at a ski area
If I ever had a really big win, I'd take a portion of the money and pay off the mortgage and other bills, take care of family members, give money to charity, etc. I'd invest the rest so my wife and I could live comfortably. Some travel ideas I have are:
- Northern Hemisphere Ski Trip: Spend January thru April skiing around the world, hitting resorts in the US, Canada, Norway, Switzerland, Austria, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Andorra, Romania, Russia, Japan, and China.
- Southern Hemisphere Ski trip: Spend June through October skiing around the world, hitting resorts in Chile, Argentina, Australia, and New Zealand.
- Warm Weather Trips:
- Motorcycle tour of Europe
- Motorcycle tour of the US and Canada
- Hike the Pacific Crest Trail
- Mountain Bike the Kokopelli Trail
- Bicycle the Blue Ridge Parkway
...and on and on. I think $1Billion sould do it