New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

lightweight bindings

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
I've got a line on Dynastar's version of the Naxo 21, cheap, and I'm wondering if it makes sense to mount them on a ski that I'll ski 95% of the time alpine inbounds. Looks like my 179 Bros are on the way, made at the AK factory in Switzerland.(Hooray!) I want to match them with something ultra light weight. Most powder days involve a lot of hiking with skis over the shoulder or skating, going herringbone, and generally schralping uphill on traverses and such, but not touring or skinning, per se- I have an AT setup for that with Dynafits.
So, question is, what is the weight/performance tradeoff and would I be better off with Sollie Z-12's (I've read the cons) or a the lightest Look/rossi/Dynastar I can find. The Bros work pretty great on ice at high speed so I don't want to elimnate that use. I only do bumps when they're in the way on a pow day, but I do them fast, so I question the wisdom of the Naxos. At the same time, if I decide to do more touring, the'yre already set up. And how about releasing the heel on a long skate/climb like at Devil's Castle? . I've seen lots of Freerides up there but didn't notice if anyone had the heel free. Thanks.
post #2 of 21
I'd see if I could find some salomon s914 ti's.

I wouldn't bother with the z series.
post #3 of 21
If you've already got Dynafit compatible boots, I'd mount Dynafits on the Bros.
post #4 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinedad View Post
If you've already got Dynafit compatible boots, I'd mount Dynafits on the Bros.
Too limiting- I have a lightweight, real soft Dynafit three buckle boot from a few years back and want the Bros to work with my Alpine boots too- I'm a flexon holdout-. I guess what I was looking for was an opinion on the Naxo's suitability for mostly inbounds work- where the lightness would ease hiking but it would need to rip- not land massive air or anything, just be stable at high speeds. An At binding would make the setup more versitile. I've read about the Marker Duke, but then that's $400 again... Meantime, I've found some s912s around at a good price- I've never needed the 14 dins- I don't go over ten at my weight- so I may go that way.
post #5 of 21
Duke is heavy.

Some of the Z12 observations came out of my household. My kid hits it pretty hard & he's he one who had them blow out. I don't think either of us makes those kinds of demands on our bindings. I had no issues with mine last year. And, honestly, not having to screw with those toe wings is a big win on the Zs. I could see going up to STHs, etc to get more beef -- but all other things being equal, I'd go for the Z vs the S.

I also heard a rumor they were beefing up the little metal gizmo that fits in the plastic mounting bits this year (and receives the brake insert tabs). This is what, along with the plastic itself, tore apart for my kid. And I believe it was part of what tore apart for Tyrone (I'd have to check old threads to be sure). Anyone know if anything is really changing on the plastic and metal mounting bits? If so, the binding would go way up in my estimation. Especially since it weighs about nothing & seems well behaved from a release POV.
post #6 of 21
Is the Naxo actually lighter than a standard binding?

All else being equal, I'd go for Mojo 15s or Looks.
post #7 of 21
If you're up for a bit of DIY you could have the best of both worlds. I've fitted threaded inserts in our skis so that I can quickly mount and unmount our Freeride bindings. You could do the same with your Naxos. Then you could make some interfaces out of cutting board and put some downhill bindings, eg Sally 914s, on top. Then you could fit either.

More detals some way down this thread:
http://www.backcountryworld.com/showthread.php?t=233

I too have some Dynafit (TLT3) boots and bindings for touring but prefer to hang on to my Flexons for downhill use. Oh, what I would give for some Flexons with a Vibram sole and Dynafit inserts! A bit like these I spotted earlier in the year:

http://warringtonbears.org.uk/temp/sml_5223.jpg
post #8 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by altis View Post
If you're up for a bit of DIY you could have the best of both worlds. I've fitted threaded inserts in our skis so that I can quickly mount and unmount our Freeride bindings. You could do the same with your Naxos. Then you could make some interfaces out of cutting board and put some downhill bindings, eg Sally 914s, on top. Then you could fit either.

More detals some way down this thread:
http://www.backcountryworld.com/showthread.php?t=233

I too have some Dynafit (TLT3) boots and bindings for touring but prefer to hang on to my Flexons for downhill use. Oh, what I would give for some Flexons with a Vibram sole and Dynafit inserts! A bit like these I spotted earlier in the year:

http://warringtonbears.org.uk/temp/sml_5223.jpg

Interesting idea, too handy for me, but those vibram Flexons! Let's cc Full Tilt on that. As it is, I have to be careful not to break my neck on wind scoured rocks...
post #9 of 21
Mr. Crab, if you're skiing 95% inbounds/ Hike terrain get an alpine binding, the Naxo is good for what it is, but it is lifted off the ski quite a bit and the interface is very sloppy compared to a high performance alpine binding.

I've spoken with Full Tilt about a Vibram sole, they seem to think the market is too small to be economically feasible. I did talk to them about it though, maybe a few more voices will convince them?

As for the threaded inserts, I've gotta give you props for the effort...but the cost of a second binding vs. the cost of ruining a pair of skis + the time and effort put into the project doesn't seem to be worth while to me.
post #10 of 21
I plan on getting a pair of Coombas, and I'm wondering what bindings to put on them. Nearly all will be inbounds I reckon (and heli skiing , I don't see me doing much hiking. I was looking at the Duke but they are heavy, not to mention expensive!

Any ideas? The Coombas are light so I guess it would be a good idea to some lighter bindings.
post #11 of 21
All you're packing up is your skis, maybe boots and a light lunch, what difference is a couple of pounds going to make (coming from someone who portages on week-long canoe trips).
post #12 of 21
If you're not going to skin, let alone hike why would you even think about an AT binding? They are lifted way off the ski, they have multiple moving parts that develop slop and can break, they are a compromise between strength and weight and they are expensive...about 2X the cost of a race quality alpine binding, if you pay FULL PRICE for the alpine binding. WHY???

Get a good alpine binding, try a Jester if you like the looks of the Duke but don't need the AT function. the wider mounting base is a bigger deal than most people think it is. It's a killer binding for fat skis and it is ridiculously light.

...or find a left-over binding really cheap.
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post
If you're not going to skin, let alone hike why would you even think about an AT binding? They are lifted way off the ski, they have multiple moving parts that develop slop and can break, they are a compromise between strength and weight and they are expensive...about 2X the cost of a race quality alpine binding, if you pay FULL PRICE for the alpine binding. WHY???

Get a good alpine binding, try a Jester if you like the looks of the Duke but don't need the AT function. the wider mounting base is a bigger deal than most people think it is. It's a killer binding for fat skis and it is ridiculously light.

...or find a left-over binding really cheap.
Yeah the Jester looks like a better choice. I'll check it out
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
All you're packing up is your skis, maybe boots and a light lunch, what difference is a couple of pounds going to make (coming from someone who portages on week-long canoe trips).
Not sure if you're just responding to the OP or just saying this in general, but my pack for most bc days is 40lbs+.

skins, trekkers, avalanche probe and shovel, 100oz water, camera, couple lbs of food, ice axe, crampons, extra layers, first aid kit, and maybe some hiking shoes is its springtime. Throw a pair of skis and ski boots on there, and you've easily got 50lbs.
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post

I also heard a rumor they were beefing up the little metal gizmo that fits in the plastic mounting bits this year (and receives the brake insert tabs). This is what, along with the plastic itself, tore apart for my kid. And I believe it was part of what tore apart for Tyrone (I'd have to check old threads to be sure).
yep. that's what broke on mine (on both bindings). I should have taken photos of it.
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGGOT View Post
Not sure if you're just responding to the OP or just saying this in general, but my pack for most bc days is 40lbs+.

skins, trekkers, avalanche probe and shovel, 100oz water, camera, couple lbs of food, ice axe, crampons, extra layers, first aid kit, and maybe some hiking shoes is its springtime. Throw a pair of skis and ski boots on there, and you've easily got 50lbs.
Wow, you must have been a boy scout. You are really prepared!
I guess I never got proper training nor far enough off the beaten path, but what you say makes good sense. How long do you stay out for? I always made it back to the groomed within a half dozen hours. Of course I was just a lucky fool who didn't know any better.
post #17 of 21
Ski touring is not about making it back to the groomed. Its about getting your line and returning to the car alive. That is not what the OP asked. He is interested in an alpine setup with minimal weight for boot packing. IMO, this is not an application for AT bindings that have significant downhill compromises in return for uphill skinning capability.
post #18 of 21
Thread Starter 
What got me thinking were those half price Naxo's. I've got some s912's I was saving for a friend, but I 've got some only-used-twice Markers I can give him instead... The Z-12's are so light it's worth waiting a bit to see if they fixed it. Thanks.
post #19 of 21
Oh, FWIW - I think that metal/plastic mounting bit on the Z12 heels is the same as on the s912 heels. If anyone knows for sure for sure...

A little beefing up certainly would be nice. But again, unless you are truly hard charging, large, or both - the Z12 is likely plenty solid IMO. And again, the "no adjustment" thing is nice.
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGGOT View Post
Not sure if you're just responding to the OP or just saying this in general, but my pack for most bc days is 40lbs+.

skins, trekkers, avalanche probe and shovel, 100oz water, camera, couple lbs of food, ice axe, crampons, extra layers, first aid kit, and maybe some hiking shoes is its springtime. Throw a pair of skis and ski boots on there, and you've easily got 50lbs.
Wow, Maggot- that's quite a load. I have most of the things you listed (no trekkers, but also headlamp, 5oz emergency bivy, probably less food (I don't think I carry anything close to a couple of pounds on a day trip)), and my pack is probably 20-25 lbs max. Maybe it's 50 lbs on an overnighter (add more food, stove, fuel, cookset, part of the tent, sleeping bag...). I guess if you count the skis its an additional 12-13 lbs or so. Of course, with AT boots, those are on your feet, so it doesn't count as much if you aren't carrying the boots.

I certainly agree that the Naxo's are probably a waste if you aren't skinning.
post #21 of 21
Just to answer the couple peaople that quoted me:

Most of my backcountry days happen in the springtime, when access can involve a few hour hike across dry ground to get to snow, so you carry skis and boots on your back. Snow can be frozen at first so crampons and ice axe are a necessity, if you plan on skiing anything steep and can't get to it an easier way than straight up. Its not really a bring everything you might need type thing as much as it is just needed a lot of gear. I'm really not masochistic enough to carry all that stuff just because, believe me.



For mellower earlier season bc days, yea my pack is maybe only 15-25lbs, skins, trekkers, extra layers, food, water, camera, the boots never leave my feet.


Just wanted to let everyone know I'm not crazy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion