or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs › Newbie Question - Base and Edge Tuning
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Newbie Question - Base and Edge Tuning

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
I'm relatively new to the whole ski tuning stuff, so I appreciate the feedback I've been getting but I have a question regarding the frequency of base and edge tuning.

I was buying some was the other day, and the gu at the shop told me to avoid base sharpening and I noticed in the SWIX manual that for race prep, they only talk about edge sharpening.

So my question is, how often do you sharpen the base of your skis?

Thanks.
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiNut View Post
I'm relatively new to the whole ski tuning stuff, so I appreciate the feedback I've been getting but I have a question regarding the frequency of base and edge tuning.

I was buying some was the other day, and the gu at the shop told me to avoid base sharpening and I noticed in the SWIX manual that for race prep, they only talk about edge sharpening.

So my question is, how often do you sharpen the base of your skis?

Thanks.
Once after a stone grind and bevel set and then I don't touch the base edge again

If your skis are new, not until you have them stone ground and then rule #1 above applies!
post #3 of 12
I don't do the base edge. I use a guide to sharpen the side edges, once in a while with a file first, usually with a pair of stones. Should I need a base (not just the metal edges) grind or if I decide to change the base bevel, I will let a shop do a complete tune including the base.
post #4 of 12
post #5 of 12
Like the others I focus on the side edges for tunes. However, if I hit a rock I may need to knock down any metal on the base edge that protrudes from the base.
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiNut View Post
I'm relatively new to the whole ski tuning stuff, so I appreciate the feedback I've been getting but I have a question regarding the frequency of base and edge tuning.

I was buying some was the other day, and the gu at the shop told me to avoid base sharpening and I noticed in the SWIX manual that for race prep, they only talk about edge sharpening.

So my question is, how often do you sharpen the base of your skis?

Thanks.
To answer the question that hasn't been answered yet, when ever you feel that there is a burr developing on the edge or part of the edge give it a polish with the diamond stone.

I tend to do mine every 2-3 days but that amounts to a few light passes with a 600 and then 1000 grit diamond stone to take off the damage caused by hard snow/ ice and the debris around the mountain.

I check them every day when I dry the bases and edges down with a cloth (to prevent edges rusting and remove any grit or oils from the bases coming into contact with the snow in the lift area/ articificial snow etc).

A well tuned ski requires 30% less effort to ski so it is worth the effort to keep them in good condition. The other good reason for keeping edges well maintained is that a good percentage of skiers skid on ice or hard snow because they tense up and stop edging - if you know that your edges are good you can confidently turn through hard snow/ ice, again making your skiing day more enjoyable.
post #7 of 12
And don't forget about that pesky hanging burr after side edge work which requires some base edge polishing with an Arkansas stone (or other options) :





The why you don't spend much time on the base edge is as you cut the base edge, you will start cutting into the base itself, requiring base removal (base grind or scraping) to even things out again.

post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew R View Post
A well tuned ski requires 30% less effort to ski so it is worth the effort to keep them in good condition.
I'm wondering what tests were done to come up with the 30% figure?
post #9 of 12
if you are a newbie to skiing, a dull edge should keep your ACL safer.
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew R View Post
To answer the question that hasn't been answered yet, when ever you feel that there is a burr developing on the edge or part of the edge give it a polish with the diamond stone.

I tend to do mine every 2-3 days but that amounts to a few light passes with a 600 and then 1000 grit diamond stone to take off the damage caused by hard snow/ ice and the debris around the mountain.

I check them every day when I dry the bases and edges down with a cloth (to prevent edges rusting and remove any grit or oils from the bases coming into contact with the snow in the lift area/ articificial snow etc).

A well tuned ski requires 30% less effort to ski so it is worth the effort to keep them in good condition. The other good reason for keeping edges well maintained is that a good percentage of skiers skid on ice or hard snow because they tense up and stop edging - if you know that your edges are good you can confidently turn through hard snow/ ice, again making your skiing day more enjoyable.
Over bevelled base edges a good tune do not make!!!!
post #11 of 12
Given that I am talking about side edges you are refering to what????
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew R View Post
Given that I am talking about side edges you are refering to what????
Did you say that??? : No!:
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs › Newbie Question - Base and Edge Tuning