EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › How did Marker fall from grace?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How did Marker fall from grace?

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
Just curious ?It seems like only 25 years ago, they were popular bindings.

Discuss :
post #2 of 25
The explodomat binding which blew itself apart on any landing was the beginning of the end. And their reputation for pre-release throughout the 80s and 90s (and today) was well known among those who spent a bit of time around gear. Luckily for Marker their gear looked the part and was an easy sell to beginners because of all the 'high tech' features - but all those 'high tech' features just meant more things to go wrong.

The continued existence of Marker is a triumph of marketing despite bad design.

Having said that the design isn't bad as such. It just strongly favours release over retention which is fine if you are a beginner. But it is downright dangerous if you are getting into tricky situations where you don't want to release. The usual reaction was just to blame the DIN setting and crank them up but this is dangerous in itself.
post #3 of 25
I blame chronic pre-release at the toe, Selective Control and plastic toe/heel pieces that self destruct.
post #4 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
Just curious ?It seems like only 25 years ago, they were popular bindings.

Discuss :
Troll. You ARE bored aren't you?
post #5 of 25
Two words: Biometric. Toe.
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
Just curious ?It seems like only 25 years ago, they were popular bindings.

Discuss :
Are you going to make me look up more financial statements?
post #7 of 25
Actually by reviewing the K2 Inc financials the company looks pretty healthy... now if you're referring to brand image... that is another story.
post #8 of 25
The WC auto-eject feature wasnt well received....who would've thunk it!
post #9 of 25
I have skied Marker for years. I don't have the problems that all of you describe.

In fact, I have pre-released from my solly 912s, and never from my Markers 14s.

I ski my Sollys at a 10 and Markers 11
post #10 of 25
Can you say "Pre-release"?

Since I switched to Rossi's and Looks, I haven't had one.
post #11 of 25
My Markers didn't release at all last year... Is that good or bad?
post #12 of 25
I haven't had problems with markers for many years, but I will be the first to admit that the "logic" toepiece pre released.. '95ish??

I think they are pretty solid now. I will however add that I only have experience with 14.0's and 18.0's. Mostly 18's. They are all metal and have been bomber for me. Others may have had different results, but I haven't heard many complaints about the 18.0's.
post #13 of 25
No problems with the current design of Marker bindings here. I love them.
post #14 of 25
I bought a pair of Marker Titanium 13.0 Pistons 2 seasons ago because 1. they were recommended by Ski Magazine (and I hadn't bought new bindings in over 20 years) and 2. I found 'em cheap at REI.

They worked fine for me (I mounted them on a pair of first gen Mantras and rode the hell out of those skis for the whole season).

The only complaints were: 1. they were heavy as hell and 2. we couldn't tell the difference between the piston being on and off, thus making the giant switch up by the toe piece rather hilarious (and a great conversation starter on the lift).

I've since fallen in love with the Mojo 15, so that's my binding of choice now (along with some Solly S912s on my Spats and a pair of Look P12's waiting in a box).

The new Duke bindings, however, seem like they might restore Marker's rep. I demoed a pair of those at Loveland on some Icelantic Shamans and they seemed burly as all get out.
post #15 of 25
Duke will save the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sidecountry all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.P. Racer View Post
I haven't had problems with markers for many years, but I will be the first to admit that the "logic" toepiece pre released.. '95ish??

I think they are pretty solid now. I will however add that I only have experience with 14.0's and 18.0's. Mostly 18's. They are all metal and have been bomber for me. Others may have had different results, but I haven't heard many complaints about the 18.0's.
I dont know what model was used and am not sure of the venue (it was this past Olympics or WC) but at least three female skiers prereleased on Markers, the announcer was quick to point out what bindings they were using. Being that these women are probably on DINs upwards of 12, it was enough for me to say no thanks. But YRMV.
post #17 of 25
How do you fall on a Marker binding? It's easy just ski it!

Oh sorry not the question you asked ... something to do with pre-release as the person suggested maybe.
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie-Rich View Post
I dont know what model was used and am not sure of the venue (it was this past Olympics or WC) but at least three female skiers prereleased on Markers, the announcer was quick to point out what bindings they were using. Being that these women are probably on DINs upwards of 12, it was enough for me to say no thanks. But YRMV.
I watched a TV show one time where a woman driver beat a team of men in a race. Even after watching that, I was still not completely convinced that the Trans Am was a better car, or that the chick was the better driver....

...Maybe she was... :
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.P. Racer View Post
I watched a TV show one time where a woman driver beat a team of men in a race. Even after watching that, I was still not completely convinced that the Trans Am was a better car, or that the chick was the better driver....

...Maybe she was... :
Ha ha! touche', but that was open to the producers discretion and editing.

Professionals popping out of bindings on a live unedited TV broadcast is a different story.
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie-Rich View Post
Ha ha! touche', but that was open to the producers discretion and editing.
Excuses, excuses.....

In all seriousness, all bindings pre release from time to time. Remember the dude in the Olympic aerials that had both skis just fly off for no reason as he left the jump? Those were Look P18's. Supposedly those are the LEAST likely to pre release... People are always spouting off about "elastic travel" All I saw was those skis traveling straight up into the air.
post #21 of 25
i am truely afraid to ski them......i had a number of pre-releases. all from the toes. i went to soli & look & have never had an issue.
post #22 of 25
But do you really have a choice anymore? If you are not willing to ski with a Marker binding, then you have to pass on buying a Volkl, K2, Nordica or Blizzard Ski.

I've used both Look and Marker bindings and I've never had a problem with either bindings. They did what they are suppose to do. In fact, my favorite skis (Nordica Doberman and Nordica Hot Rods) are equipped with Marker bindings.
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiNut View Post
But do you really have a choice anymore? If you are not willing to ski with a Marker binding, then you have to pass on buying a Volkl, K2, Nordica or Blizzard Ski.
????????????
I've got a pair of Sanouks with 916's and a pair of Explosivs with Freerides. Could have sworn I've seen lotsa guys without Markers on Pontoons, Seths, AK's, PE's, Blowers, Titan Pro's, Gotamas, Katanas, Sumos, etc. Maybe I exsist in some wierd parallel universe?
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
Maybe I exsist in some wierd parallel universe?
Yes, you do -- but that's only partially relevant here.

All the skis Jer lists are sold flat, not with a binding system.

At least K2 typically makes both system and flat versions of several skis, such as the Recon and Crossfire. Your local shop may carry only the system version, but that's as good a reason as I can think of to buy mail order.

Volkl is more difficult. To the best of my knowledge, neither the SuperSport line (or whatever they call it these days) nor the AC line are available flat.

As far as the original question -- "do you really have a choice anymore?" -- of course you do. For one thing, you can choose not to buy any system ski, regardless of the manufacturer. Or you can choose to buy only system skis that actually use bindings you like and trust.
post #25 of 25
i just bought a pair of these, in the box, for 85 bucks!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › How did Marker fall from grace?