EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › KILLINGTON: "...1 strike! .....Ski/ride closed trail = losing pass!"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

KILLINGTON: "...1 strike! .....Ski/ride closed trail = losing pass!" - Page 4

post #91 of 113
No way, way to start off with a bang: They probably won't have any ski patrol on week days either:
post #92 of 113
So they take your pass if you ski out of bounds at killington? Big deal, last time I skied at killington, there was barely enough snow to ski IN BOUNDS.
post #93 of 113
It's odd, they are intending to enforce their rules this season. Weird.

Alan Iverson's rant about practice keeps running through my head when I read this thread:

"Poaching, is that what we're talking about? Poaching? You want to talk about Poaching...POACHING? We're talking about poaching? Poaching?...is that what we're talking about? sheesh...poaching?"

Poaching is skiing somewhere you shouldn't be skiing...getting in trouble if you get CAUGHT is what makes it POACHING.
post #94 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post
It's odd, they are intending to enforce their rules this season. Weird.

Alan Iverson's rant about practice keeps running through my head when I read this thread:

"Poaching, is that what we're talking about? Poaching? You want to talk about Poaching...POACHING? We're talking about poaching? Poaching?...is that what we're talking about? sheesh...poaching?"

Poaching is skiing somewhere you shouldn't be skiing...getting in trouble if you get CAUGHT is what makes it POACHING.
Wisdom speaks.

Two ways to play it if/when getting caught:
- weasel like a child
- take your lickin's and keep on tickin'
post #95 of 113
This thread was an interesting read.

All you folks here that like ducking ropes and skiing closed trails would make excellent ski patrollers. You should seriously think about volunteering your time as a member of the National Ski Patrol.

Ski patrolling is more about helping people when they are hurt and very little about pulling tickets. Patrolling forces you to get out of bed early in the morning with a pounding hang over to go patrol. The patrol director (PD) in the morning will assign you trail(s) to open and then say something like be very careful when you ski it. You may need to put a close sign on it. Or the PD may give you the best trail on the mountain to open to put down first tracks after a 24 inch dump that night.

From what I have read, this thread is full of potential ski patrollers who could handle either one of those two scenarios.

One thing you may want to think about. If you are the first, 2nd, 3rd to duck a rope to ski that closed trail because you are an awesome skier or boarder, you may want to think about the other people that will follow your tracks and get seriously hurt or even die because they are not as good as you. Without your tracks there those other folks may not have gone down that closed trail. You may want to ask yourself if that happens am I responsible even just a little bit? I know what your going to say. Hey they ducked a rope with a closed sign, its their responsibility. Unfortunately, we all know what happens after a few tracks on a closed trail.
post #96 of 113
I remember skiing at a resort in the Early 1980s with blue jeans, an ordinary winter coat and the longest rentals they had in the shop, and asking a local where the steepest runs were. He proceeded to lead me past a rope to the top of a cliff that varied from under cut to 90 to 80 degrees depending on where your were. I asked if you were allowed to go past the rope, and he assured me he knew the owners didn't really mind, it was just a safety thing so nobody accidentally fell and for liability purposes. He also said that skiing on unmarked trails was fine too, but that there was at times a danger due to avalanche, but that conditions were good today. He also showed me a longer cliff-like trail behind the mountain, and told me there was no problem skiing there, but if I broke my leg nobody would come looking for me, and if I didn't make it back on my own they might never find the body. I had a blast that day!

I wonder how the owners feel about it today. I also wonder if he was kidding and thought it might be funny to see a gaper fall off a cliff.
post #97 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
I also wonder if he was kidding and thought it might be funny to see a gaper fall off a cliff.
Ghost, I would go with the funny gaper falling off a cliff theory. Locals are always doing funny stuff like that.
post #98 of 113
And to think, all these years I've been grateful to him for introducing me to some great lines and back-country skiing!
post #99 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by catskills View Post
This thread was an interesting read.

... you may want to think about the other people that will follow your tracks and get seriously hurt or even die because they are not as good as you. Without your tracks there those other folks may not have gone down that closed trail. You may want to ask yourself if that happens am I responsible even just a little bit?
This is a valid point. And the reverse also applys. Just because you see tracks doesn't mean it's a good choice. People will follow others tracks.

I think this is why many mountains don't mind skiing a closed trail if you duck in from the sides via the woods.
post #100 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
Just found out: the K1 lodge will not be open midweek for food, just the bathrooms will be open.

Strike 2? or are we up to double digits?
Do you mean during the winter? Isn't that pretty much the main lodge? I think it's only one of two that I've ever been in.
post #101 of 113
I'm so glad to ski where there is no "moutain owners", but just "lift operators".
post #102 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post
Do you mean during the winter? Isn't that pretty much the main lodge? I think it's only one of two that I've ever been in.
YEP, During the winter. I was talking to the guy that was running the MTNbike section, he said we will be running Ramshead and that will be the main lodge and K1 will only be open for food on weekends but the bathrooms and the rest will be open.
post #103 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
YEP, During the winter. I was talking to the guy that was running the MTNbike section, he said we will be running Ramshead and that will be the main lodge and K1 will only be open for food on weekends but the bathrooms and the rest will be open.
Could this relate back to the ski/ride closed trail=lost pass thing. Are they planning to run a minimal operation during the week, saving all the trails for the tourists on the weekend?
post #104 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
Could this relate back to the ski/ride closed trail=lost pass thing. Are they planning to run a minimal operation during the week, saving all the trails for the tourists on the weekend?
Very well it could. I could see them blowing snow on a trail then keeping it closed till the weekend.
post #105 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
Very well it could. I could see them blowing snow on a trail then keeping it closed till the weekend.
Aug 7, 2007

Hi Phil and HS:

IF TRUE, that is really DIRTY POOL:. Especially if they are threatening "loss of pass" for skiing on a "saved for weekend/tourist/gaper trail". That's just not right. NOT RIGHT!!!

PASSHOLDERS OF THE WORLD UNITE. YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOST BUT YOUR CHAINS:::!!!

CP

PS: I very much dislike using the word "gaper", but I will make an exception in this instance.
post #106 of 113
This is reminding me of when I yell at my kids and they haven't done anything wrong yet. It's just in case they do.

Killington hasn't even opened and they have closed the lodge during the week. Blown perfect snow on trails but kept them closed, and taken away my pass for looking down a closed trail:

I think that people will still buy their passes, pay for day tickets and spend money like crazy at Killington. Americans come with their mastercard and they don't ask how much. It's still is the only game in town for the southern teir of new england.

How can you close K1 lodge, farm man-made snow, and take away HS's season pass?
post #107 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Jones View Post
How can you close K1 lodge, farm man-made snow, and take away HS's season pass?

Well one out of three ain't bad.
post #108 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Jones View Post
This is reminding me of when I yell at my kids and they haven't done anything wrong yet. It's just in case they do.

Killington hasn't even opened and they have closed the lodge during the week. Blown perfect snow on trails but kept them closed, and taken away my pass for looking down a closed trail:

I think that people will still buy their passes, pay for day tickets and spend money like crazy at Killington. Americans come with their mastercard and they don't ask how much. It's still is the only game in town for the southern teir of new england.

How can you close K1 lodge, farm man-made snow, and take away HS's season pass?
Slow down there cowboy..I said sounds like...never said that they were doing that.
post #109 of 113
For the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone would ski at Killington.

How much is a lift ticket there?
post #110 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
Slow down there cowboy..I said sounds like...never said that they were doing that.

sorry, couldn't resist
post #111 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
For the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone would ski at Killington.

How much is a lift ticket there?
Neither can I/$72.00.
post #112 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
Slow down there cowboy..I said sounds like...never said that they were doing that.
So you are saying that I should have bought my pass:
post #113 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by philippeR View Post
I'm so glad to ski where there is no "moutain owners", but just "lift operators".
Ditto!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › KILLINGTON: "...1 strike! .....Ski/ride closed trail = losing pass!"