or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Off-Season Sports & The Lighter Side › General Sports › What's Wrong with me? - Watching the British Open
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What's Wrong with me? - Watching the British Open

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Less than a year ago, I posted that I'd rather watch Jello set, than watch golf on TV.
Then I was told to watch golf from time to time to get used to the terms and get a better idea of the game, so I tolerated it, and THEN Phil posted a thread about the masters, which I watched from time to time as I could catch it.

Today, my husband calls me to meet him for lunch at Ruby Tuesdays. As we are seated by the hostess, I actually hear myself say to my husband, "Can I sit in that chair? I can watch the British open from there"
:

Please tell me there's help for me!!!:

http://sportsline.com/golf/tournaments/britishopen
post #2 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekchick View Post
Less than a year ago, I posted that I'd rather watch Jello set, than watch golf on TV.
Then I was told to watch golf from time to time to get used to the terms and get a better idea of the game, so I tolerated it, and THEN Phil posted a thread about the masters, which I watched from time to time as I could catch it.

Today, my husband calls me to meet him for lunch at Ruby Tuesdays. As we are seated by the hostess, I actually hear myself say to my husband, "Can I sit in that chair? I can watch the British open from there"
:

Please tell me there's help for me!!!:

http://sportsline.com/golf/tournaments/britishopen
Sorry to be the bearer of BAD news:, there is no hope! Oh and Iv'e only been thinking about skiing daily since the last snow fall. Yikes
post #3 of 18
Have you ever noticed the little white specs floating through green Jello when it sets? You have to watch golf for at least an hour before you can see them.
post #4 of 18

Hope?

Trekchick - youre gone/no hope. Next equipment junkie, velocity parameters of a 2 piece ball vs. __________. Loft, Lie, shaft stiffness, etc. etc. When you get your lst eagle then you will be a certified died in the wool addict. Then you can officially go out and ruin a good walk. On in 1 AND 3 putt followed by on the 5 and 1 putt. Etc. Etc. As of today Sergio is in 1st and Choi in 2nd. I betcha Sergio crashes and Choi grinds on but Furyk is close. Not like an exciting WC race but sort of intriguing if you've played. Just think of the plus side. You have a winter and summer outlet. I keep having trouble getting my fishing to fit in to my golf schedule.
post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete No. Idaho View Post
Trekchick - youre gone/no hope. Next equipment junkie, velocity parameters of a 2 piece ball vs. __________. Loft, Lie, shaft stiffness, etc. etc. When you get your lst eagle then you will be a certified died in the wool addict. Then you can officially go out and ruin a good walk. On in 1 AND 3 putt followed by on the 5 and 1 putt. Etc. Etc. As of today Sergio is in 1st and Choi in 2nd. I betcha Sergio crashes and Choi grinds on but Furyk is close. Not like an exciting WC race but sort of intriguing if you've played. Just think of the plus side. You have a winter and summer outlet. I keep having trouble getting my fishing to fit in to my golf schedule.
Oh!
I'm sooooooooooo already there!
I'm having a hard time deciding if I should Golf, Bike, or Play volleyball:
The day I got my first birdie, I thought I was going to do a back flip. I am not holding out hope for a double eagle.
X my fingersX
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekchick View Post
Less than a year ago, I posted that I'd rather watch Jello set, than watch golf on TV.
Then I was told to watch golf from time to time to get used to the terms and get a better idea of the game, so I tolerated it, and THEN Phil posted a thread about the masters, which I watched from time to time as I could catch it.

Today, my husband calls me to meet him for lunch at Ruby Tuesdays. As we are seated by the hostess, I actually hear myself say to my husband, "Can I sit in that chair? I can watch the British open from there"
:

Please tell me there's help for me!!!:

http://sportsline.com/golf/tournaments/britishopen
Are you watching Sergio?

The nice thing is the coverage of "The Open" is better than a lot of the drivel that currently passes for golf coverage. Now if they would just let us have the audio feed of the British announcers.
post #7 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewil View Post
Are you watching Sergio?

The nice thing is the coverage of "The Open" is better than a lot of the drivel that currently passes for golf coverage. Now if they would just let us have the audio feed of the British announcers.
I was at Ruby Tuesday's. The TV was on TNT's coverage.
All I know is..............A year ago, I'd have never cared where I sat at a restaurant with televisions.
post #8 of 18
It is an addictive sport.
post #9 of 18
Part of the fun of watching the Open on TV is British coverage that's inevitably inserted into the event. Their approach and insight are entertaining, and they talk less and let the play speak for itself.
Did you catch the BBC feed with the long shot of the mature, chubby lady gently rubbing the behind of her equally chubby hubby. It's the kind of stuff you don't get on ABC.
Links golf is also more entertaining because of all the goofy bounces and impossible recovery shots. I've had the good fortune to spend two days at the Masters' and two days at the Open and as great as the Masters is, the Open is even better.
post #10 of 18
Thread Starter 
No luck watching it this morning. My husband has control of the TV, which means Speed TV.
post #11 of 18
Thread Starter 
The wonderful world of the internet.
How fast can this stuff pop up on Youtube?
post #12 of 18
I am disappointed that I haven't seen one shot of "The Open". I am hoping tomorrow, I will be able to catch some in the AM before I head to the mountians, later in the day.
post #13 of 18
Thread Starter 
The question today is..........
Who is more likely to perform well on a wet course?
Seems that they had a significant rain last night.
For those who can't catch the tv coverage, check this.
http://www.opengolf.com/mediaworld/radio.sps
post #14 of 18
Everone to Andres Romero....[Indigo Montoya voice]Who are you?[/Indigo Montoya voice]
post #15 of 18
Thread Starter 
What happened to Stricker?
When I went out to do some yard work, he was 2nd. Came back in to fill my water bottle
(and check the BO ) and he's 5th-ish???
post #16 of 18
Congrats to Padraig...I'll be slamming some Guinness here shortly.

TC, there's no turning back now...You'll be watching the Golf Channel several hours a week, just like the rest of us.

I think that watching golf can be a bore until you really understand what's going on. Once you get it, you understand the attraction. It's one of the few sports in the world where you can pretty much feel exactly what the pros are feeling, from shot to shot. That's why I think most serious golfers can love watching the pros on tv.

It's also been proven that by watching a good amount of golf will actually improve your own game.
post #17 of 18

Golf

Trekchick, Strickers' putting went south way south like Antartica. thought Sergio was going to win when Harrington went into the water twice on the 18th. No such luck.
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewil View Post
Are you watching Sergio?

The nice thing is the coverage of "The Open" is better than a lot of the drivel that currently passes for golf coverage. Now if they would just let us have the audio feed of the British announcers.
Well done that man. A lot of traditionalists get upset if it is called the 'British Open' and resent Faldo using the phrase on US TV.

Which commentators do you get ? Peter Alliss is quite soothing and avuncular, though he is getting on a bit and sometimes forgets what year it is. The rest of them are a bit of a mixed bag.

I was delighted to see Harrington win. He is due a major. I hope Sergio gets one too. He is a very likeable young man and I hope bounces back from runner up again.

Nice to see Tiger out off bounds with an iron, proves he is human after all. If he could manage an air shot too it would give hope to all us weekend golfers.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Sports
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Off-Season Sports & The Lighter Side › General Sports › What's Wrong with me? - Watching the British Open