or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Favorite NON-skiing/winter related car
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Favorite NON-skiing/winter related car - Page 2

post #31 of 127
Favorite car... hmm...
One car that I miss is my old '90 Audi Coupe Quattro 20V. It wasn't all that fast, but I realy liked it. I would have liked an S2 more, but oh well. I liked it better than the S4s I've owned. I'm hoping that an S5 can live up to it and take it's place soon.

Favorite car that I've driven was a '99 Bentlety Continental T. It's like driving Bill Gates' wallet really really fast. It's hard to believe that a colossal cube of a car can fell nimble and quick, but it does.

One of my all time dream cars would have to be a 959, but that sorta doesn't count for this thread. How abount a 911 GT3, can I say that's my fave?

How about Formula Dodge? Driving that car at Skip Barber may have been the most fun thing ever. If I had a choice between a week of heli-skiing with guaranteed dumpage every day or lapping at Lime Rock in the Formula Dodge for a few days, it would be a hard choice.
post #32 of 127
Epic,
Speaking of laps, here's a toll-road I wouldn't mind riding or driving on.
http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/
Be sure to check out the video section.
post #33 of 127
[quote=nfp158;729235]Yo,

second philpug's older miata 1996-ish, then,

-jackson racing supercharger w/bigger pulley
-free-flow exhaust
-lower with adjustable shocks and bigger sways
-keep 15" Wheels, but get ones as light-weight as possible
-sticky tires eg toyo proxes t-1r/s
-get aggressive wheel alignment
-cut yourself down (chainsaw will work) to 5'-10" or less
-oh, install a real rollbar

blow boxters, s2ks, and bimmers away...only challenge corvettes on twisties..

There,.... almost as much fun as you know what,..... and powder skiing

And you'll probably spend $8k...

nfp158
post #34 of 127
If I'm driving my Mustang, I won't mess with you; if I'm driving this, better get outta my way!
525x525px-LL-vbattach1936.jpg
post #35 of 127
[quote=nfp158;729410]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfp158 View Post
Yo,

second philpug's older miata 1996-ish, then,

-jackson racing supercharger w/bigger pulley
-free-flow exhaust
-lower with adjustable shocks and bigger sways
-keep 15" Wheels, but get ones as light-weight as possible
-sticky tires eg toyo proxes t-1r/s
-get aggressive wheel alignment
-cut yourself down (chainsaw will work) to 5'-10" or less
-oh, install a real rollbar

blow boxters, s2ks, and bimmers away...only challenge corvettes on twisties..

There,.... almost as much fun as you know what,..... and powder skiing

And you'll probably spend $8k...

nfp158
you wont have any traction with out something stickier than t-1r/s I would go with 205/50R15 Toyo Ra-1. any wider and the tires will never heat up unless your driving the car at 10/10ths...10/10th in car like that would mean 70mph corning speeds too 120mph straight away speed on road say like Little Cottonwood Canyon.

the last run in this video is me driving a roughly 250whp mazda miata on 13/8 rims with hoosiers.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=7

very intense car to drive its nto remotely the same as a stock miata. For starters a stock miata doesnt power oversteer at will.

Most wheel alignments on car like will actually be done to cut down on the oversteer it wont be what a racer considers "aggressive", these car will be set up to understeer on throttle so that you can drive more aggressively.


ITs just funny that alot of the cars (including my own dream cars) we talk about are stupid fast. A car like my civic, a supercharges miata, a ZO6, elecet are so fast and handle so well that speed limits dont just get double in some case they will get tripled. Unless you are tracking your car they are quite pointless to own unless you are willing to not give a damn about traffic laws and are able and willing to gasp outran a couple crown vics every once in awhile. Trust me in cars that we have in possession you would be an idiot to pull over or is it the other way around?.

Just sayin that alot of these cars I couldnt imagine owning with out tracking them
post #36 of 127
FD RX7, though I sadly have not yet been able to own one. Someday.

GE MX6, because its an odd duck. And I like my ducks a bit odd.

Miata, for all the reasons Phil put forth.

There are reasons why Mazdas make up >40% of the club racing scene with less than 2% of sales...
post #37 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarCube View Post
If I'm driving my Mustang, I won't mess with you; if I'm driving this, better get outta my way!
SC, the more I see of you, the more I think we were separated at birth!
You have NO idea how this does my heart good!
post #38 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
If you know how to drive a fast 4 wheeled car is much quicker down a twisty road than any sport bike. sport bikes just doesnt have the Lateral Grip of a well designed car.
No doubt, but

1 The bike is much cheaper
2 I find it more comfortable taking corners fast on two wheels (not get pulled sideways), The rhythm of riding a series of curves up a mountain road (Route 17 from Bristol to the top of the App Gap for example) is much more intoxicating on two wheels than on four, though both methods are fun.
3 While the lateral grip is greater on the car, few stock (as built) cars, other than very expensive one provide near the acceleration of mid-range bike.
4 Riding is much closer to the experience of skiing than driving is.

As far good cheap ones, I liked riding the SV650 series (though I've never owned one). I like my large Bandit it does (with some cheap suspension upgrades) provide a good mix of power and handling, though it is too heavy and crude to really handle like a sport bike, it is entertaining, powerful (at least low down), and does well on the sections of interstate that connect the two laners together. My Buell I haven't owned long enough to really comment on other than to say handles well, makes nice noises, and very entertaining.
post #39 of 127
For a few years, I always had a 2nd "weekend" car. The problem was, even though I was single at the time, my insurance company was charging me full boat premium on two cars. I could only drive one car at a time so it didn't make sense to me to pay two full premiums. Anywho, my car these days has to do everything so I'm kinda out of "fun" cars at the moment but if I were in the market I would be looking for one of the following... an older Miata, Pontiac Solstice or a Mini Cooper.

On a side note, my 88 year old father just traded in his station wagon and bought a Chrysler Sebring LSI Convertible. He took delivery in April and the only time he has the roof up is when it rains. He loves sliding up next to my diesel Jetta and shaking his head

I just thought of the "fun" car I'd really like to own... The VW Golf GTI from a few years ago with the VR6 and 6 speed manual trans that was awd. I think it was called the R332 or something like that. I drove one in Princeton when they 1st came out. Amazing car.
post #40 of 127
post #41 of 127
stoweguy it was called the R32.

TC you can get one with a charger for that much. 9200 still sounds too much for any miata. There are ever s2000 coming in below 10000 grandnow.
post #42 of 127
Not my plan to buy any more toy's just now.
I could put a fraction of that money into the 57 and have it in show condition. Its almost show condition now.

I do love driving the 57
post #43 of 127
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
stoweguy it was called the R32.

TC you can get one with a charger for that much. 9200 still sounds too much for any miata. There are ever s2000 coming in below 10000 grandnow.
where are you seeing S2k's for under 10k?

That Miata has NA wheels from 90-93, plus its a base, no LSD. 94 and 99 are the two best Miata's for power to weight ratios. I agree, 9200 is a tad much for that car, but not too much, it is a 8K car.
post #44 of 127
My girlfriend's neighbour changed an S2k for a Z4. I think it was a mistake.

But, I'm still saying:




Although, I'm happy with...
post #45 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
where are you seeing S2k's for under 10k?

That Miata has NA wheels from 90-93, plus its a base, no LSD. 94 and 99 are the two best Miata's for power to weight ratios. I agree, 9200 is a tad much for that car, but not too much, it is a 8K car.

www.honda-tech.com www.racepa.com

I had a line on a 2000 S2k for 8000k with 70,000 miles on it.

and not that you guys could get it but I have seen them at the auction for around that price too but that doesnt really count to the general public.
post #46 of 127
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
www.honda-tech.com www.racepa.com

I had a line on a 2000 S2k for 8000k with 70,000 miles on it.

and not that you guys could get it but I have seen them at the auction for around that price too but that doesn't really count to the general public.
I will look at the Manheim numbers again, but I would sooner buy a S2K for 8-10K as a toy than another Miata. Now just to get Ty through school.
post #47 of 127
If your looking at Manheim itself the cars at the particular auction will be much more than the smaller auction a common practice is too buy cars at butler in pittsburgh do nothing to them and shipp them out to manheim for more profit.
post #48 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wear The Fox Hat View Post
My girlfriend's neighbour changed an S2k for a Z4. I think it was a mistake.

But, I'm still saying:




Although, I'm happy with...
Bellissimo!

Michael
post #49 of 127
barrettscv,
Thanks. If I had more hair, I'd probably trade mine in for the rag top.
Still, the Brera is fun to drive, sounds amazing, looks amazing, and is paid for!
post #50 of 127


Pass the Rose'. Pay no attention to those motorheads trying to get by.
post #51 of 127
[quote=BushwackerinPA;729452]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfp158 View Post

you wont have any traction with out something stickier than t-1r/s I would go with 205/50R15 Toyo Ra-1. any wider and the tires will never heat up unless your driving the car at 10/10ths...10/10th in car like that would mean 70mph corning speeds too 120mph straight away speed on road say like Little Cottonwood Canyon.

the last run in this video is me driving a roughly 250whp mazda miata on 13/8 rims with hoosiers.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=7

very intense car to drive its nto remotely the same as a stock miata. For starters a stock miata doesnt power oversteer at will.

Most wheel alignments on car like will actually be done to cut down on the oversteer it wont be what a racer considers "aggressive", these car will be set up to understeer on throttle so that you can drive more aggressively.


ITs just funny that alot of the cars (including my own dream cars) we talk about are stupid fast. A car like my civic, a supercharges miata, a ZO6, elecet are so fast and handle so well that speed limits dont just get double in some case they will get tripled. Unless you are tracking your car they are quite pointless to own unless you are willing to not give a damn about traffic laws and are able and willing to gasp outran a couple crown vics every once in awhile. Trust me in cars that we have in possession you would be an idiot to pull over or is it the other way around?.

Just sayin that alot of these cars I couldnt imagine owning with out tracking them
hey bush,

i see you are a small car guy too'.
i have 13x8 rims and hoosiers for auto xing, but the toyo 1ses are pretty good street tires,,,i also have volk racing te-37 rims with goodyear f1-g3s for smooth track (no potholes) racing with adjustable konis, racing alignment, water injection, and a blueprinted motor.....i find places in california to drive fast, but i really enjoy the twisties eg along hwy 1, the coast highway, in northern cal......go do it.....whatever IT is.....i stay far away from crown vics...
post #52 of 127
A Miata is a pretty good winter car as well. Scroll down to see the Number 68 car: http://www.icerace.com/sl.htm

BK
post #53 of 127
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
If your looking at Manheim itself the cars at the particular auction will be much more than the smaller auction a common practice is too buy cars at butler in pittsburgh do nothing to them and shipp them out to manheim for more profit.
MMR NE (inc. Butler):Two cars sold for under 10K, one with 115K and one that was "below ave" condition w/71K. All other 00's were in the 11-13K range. I have run Butler and Manheim, there isn't "thousands" in difference. Could one slip through? yeah, but highly unlikely. To pass up on a $8k S2000 that was in ave or better than ave condition when you could flip it at Manheim isn't good math.
post #54 of 127
Just thinking... I'm only in France for another few weeks. Should I take a 30 mile trip down the road to Moslheim?
post #55 of 127
Yes, yes you should.

Pick me up a Type 35C while you are in town, kthx. (or at least a photo or two?)
post #56 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
MMR NE (inc. Butler):Two cars sold for under 10K, one with 115K and one that was "below ave" condition w/71K. All other 00's were in the 11-13K range. I have run Butler and Manheim, there isn't "thousands" in difference. Could one slip through? yeah, but highly unlikely. To pass up on a $8k S2000 that was in ave or better than ave condition when you could flip it at Manheim isn't good math.
we didnt we owned it for 1 week last summer....

115 for under 10k I would love to buy for myself, its a honda that motor has 100k easy left on it.
post #57 of 127

.....

Nissan XTerra 4wd w/Cepek Mud Countrys, then start adding mods...., but one has to return to paved roads sometime(sigh;-). At that point....I'm stumped Phil...but then there's my Prius!;-)
post #58 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfydog View Post
Citroen 2-CV

The ultimate statement that "I have all the time in the world to get where I'm going".

Definitely not a snow car.
Actualy quite good in the snow ! But not a (uphill) moutain car.

And PRAGMATICSKIER nailed it : Any self respecting skier should be on 2 wheels anyway. Cagers don't lean...
post #59 of 127
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post
How abount a 911 GT3, can I say that's my fave?
I had soem lap time at Pocono in this bad boy....

post #60 of 127
My favorite non-skiing auto is not a car but the full size American pickup truck,. It hauls my tools, makes me money and takes care of the families' needs all summer long. Can you name a more versatile automobile ?
Mine is the Chevy Silverado ton and half extended cab 4x4. This truck does it's job and doesn't look bad doing it. The mileage sure sucks though. 15 mpg. Half of what my Subie gets.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Favorite NON-skiing/winter related car