EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Traveling from Germany to USA/Canada to ski..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Traveling from Germany to USA/Canada to ski..

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
Hi!

I'd like to know what the best way is to travel from Germany to USA or Canada to ski. Anyone got some experiences traveling across the atlantic to ski? We'd like to go to Banff, Aspen or Whistler.. Some good companies arranging vacations or some good tricks? ANYTHING!?

- Kasper
post #2 of 21
Thread Starter 
Comeon German people! Help me!
post #3 of 21
People are just getting up hold on
post #4 of 21
Thread Starter 
Yeah I know but I posted it long time ago - when the Germans were awake
post #5 of 21
Lufthansa non-stop Frankfurt-Vancouver.

Book everything DIY for Whistler at http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/index.htm

Can't get any easier than that.
post #6 of 21
Lufthansa also flies non-stop Frankfurt to Denver. You can also DIY for lodging at the colorado resorts. Aspen has great variety -- and you can connect in Denver to fly to Aspen, although flights sometimes are canceled due to inclement weather. There are also many other choices in CO -- Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Copper Mountain, Keystone, A-Basin, and Loveland are all more or less on your way from Denver to Aspen if you choose to drive (about 4.5 hours in winter) from DIA.

Mike
post #7 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ami in berlin View Post
Lufthansa non-stop Frankfurt-Vancouver.

Book everything DIY for Whistler at http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/index.htm

Can't get any easier than that.
Is this also the cheapest way?
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrooK View Post
Is this also the cheapest way?
It very well could be.

Personally I think you're better off doing it DIY than getting a package through a tour operator, but others may disagree.

I've only taken ski vacations from Germany to NA in connection with visiting my family there, so I have no experience with tour operators. But I think you'll find that resorts in NA have their operations integrated a lot better than in Europe (one stop shopping on the website for accom., lift tickets, rental, lessons). You could book your entire Whistler vacation in a matter of minutes right now. I'm not saying it's cheap, but it is convenient.

The first thing I'd do is price out flights (www.kayak.com is my favourite site for transatlantic flights), and if anywhere is considerably cheaper (for example if Denver were €200 cheaper than Vancouver) make your ski arrangements with that in mind.

Be prepared: lift tickets and lodging will be considerably more ex*****ve than in Europe, but food and drink can be quite a bit cheaper.
post #9 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ami in berlin View Post
It very well could be.

Personally I think you're better off doing it DIY than getting a package through a tour operator, but others may disagree.

I've only taken ski vacations from Germany to NA in connection with visiting my family there, so I have no experience with tour operators. But I think you'll find that resorts in NA have their operations integrated a lot better than in Europe (one stop shopping on the website for accom., lift tickets, rental, lessons). You could book your entire Whistler vacation in a matter of minutes right now. I'm not saying it's cheap, but it is convenient.

The first thing I'd do is price out flights (www.kayak.com is my favourite site for transatlantic flights), and if anywhere is considerably cheaper (for example if Denver were €200 cheaper than Vancouver) make your ski arrangements with that in mind.

Be prepared: lift tickets and lodging will be considerably more ex*****ve than in Europe, but food and drink can be quite a bit cheaper.
Okay! thank you for that If anyone got some tour operator knowledge please let me know.
post #10 of 21
Try www.whistler.com as they don't exclude companies that may be in competition with their owners (i.e. both heliskiing companies are listed here).

Colorado gets more sunshine on average, but people who now come to Whistler have said that they prefer not having to deal with the altitude issues.
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrooK View Post
Hi!

I'd like to know what the best way is to travel from Germany to USA or Canada to ski. Anyone got some experiences traveling across the atlantic to ski? We'd like to go to Banff, Aspen or Whistler.. Some good companies arranging vacations or some good tricks? ANYTHING!?

- Kasper
Kasper, have you checked out the EpicSki Academy described here on the site? It would get you an opportunity for group rates in Aspen, and there are often a number of folks coming from Europe (most frequently the UK). Worth a study, at the very least, I think.

Lufthansa is a United Star Alliance partner, and Denver is a United hub, so it's pretty easy getting here from there.
post #12 of 21
Check LTU for nonstop flights out of Düsseldorf or Frankfurt into Calgary, Vancouver and (I think) San Francisco if you intend to ski the Tahoe area.

Check SkyTeam (Air France, KLM) for same options out of Paris or Amsterdam, maybe you can add Denver/Colorado to the sestination list.

United and Lufthansa provide regular connections out of Düsseldorf and Frankfurt to Chicago, from there proceed to Denver or Salt Lake City. But like the other options better.

Avoid BA out of London by all means.
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowHog View Post
Avoid BA out of London by all means.
I second that. In about 10 attempts in all, I have never arrived at my destination with my luggage when transfering at Heathrow.
post #14 of 21
I just realized that Lufthansa also flies non-stop Munich to Denver as well as non-stop Frankfurt to Denver. Sure, Whistler is a great area, but it is not much above sea-level and the snow conditions can be quite variable. Colorado, on the other hand, will assuredly have much drier snow than you would experience at Whistler and probably in Europe as well. Steve also had a great suggestion of attending ESA -- it is a great camp.

Mike
post #15 of 21
If you have the money to burn and have a group that is all at about the same (moderate to expert) ability level, you might consider CMH for some snowcat/heli skiing... droooooool.
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ami in berlin View Post
Lufthansa non-stop Frankfurt-Vancouver.

Book everything DIY for Whistler at http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/index.htm

Can't get any easier than that.
For accommodations, try the search engine at www.alluradirect.com - the prices will be much cheaper than going through the resort.
post #17 of 21
Thread Starter 
Aha, guess we're going to Aspen then We Europeans are use altitudes, and my reason for going to the US is because I'd like to experience REAL POWDER ..
post #18 of 21
how much time do you have? Your best chances for deep dry powder are probably in Utah rather than any of the places you mentioned. Also, what kind of skier are you, and how much experience do you have off-piste? And do you have any backcountry experience, and is that the type of skiing that you are looking for?

If you are looking for deep powder and off-piste skiing, then I would point you to either Alta/Snowbird (greatest chance of deep dry powder) or Jackson Hole/Grand Targhee (a bit behind Alta in deep powder, but a better opportunity for really long steep terrain and endless out of bounds options). I'm not sure, in fact I doubt, that there are non-stop options from Europe to Salt Lake, but both Salt Lake and Jackson are only an hour's flight from Denver.

Mike
post #19 of 21
I second the comments being made here: don't come to Whistler/Blackcomb if you're determined to find deep dry powder... you're more likely than not to get heavy crud.

That being said, the terrain at Whistler/Blackcomb is incredible, and occasionally there are some incredible powder days.
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthill View Post
That being said, the terrain at Whistler/Blackcomb is incredible, and occasionally there are some incredible powder days.
Like it was on April 3rd... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ubUXLv-6iw
Actually, we probably had over 30 days with this kind of powder this past season.
If that isn't dry snow, I don't know what is...
post #21 of 21
Back to the topic, how could I forget to mention this option out of Paris..

http://www.flyzoom.com/
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Traveling from Germany to USA/Canada to ski..