New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

head im88 review

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
I originally posted the review of my new skinny skis on TGR but probably this ski is more interesting/ suitable for this forum. SInce posting the review, I have had many more days and the impression is the same: they ski like a midfat GS ski. great on groomers and crud. Jury is still out on deeper powder adn tight spaces/ bill goating.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ight=head+im88
post #2 of 14
raj,

what do you have for bindings and what side edge bevel have you set them to?

thanks

br
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Bindings are Rossignol Axia2 120 pro (basically the new axials, 12 DIN binding without the old turntable heel).

I use older style Rossi/ Look axial/ turntables on all my skis. These are the first of the new model I tried and am lukewarm compared to the old style. Forward pressure adjustment is kludgy instead of the old, accurate worm drive. They are heavy. Not totally sold on the new style Rossi/ Look bindings.

Edge bevel: I use base 1 degree and side 1 degree on all my skis. I am on the west coast and more aggressive side edge is not necessary on my local terrain (real ice is rare).
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj View Post
(real ice is rare).
then you must come out to the east coast next year; i can show you plenty!!

we have all shades of real ice. there's the gray ice, which can hold an edge if you have sharp skis. but then there's the dreaded blue ice, and you can ski over it as long as turning isn't involved.

thanks for the info.
post #5 of 14
I am also out West and can't agree with the 1 & 1 on the Monster 88.

All my skis are 1 & 3, except my i.M88. I put a 2 degree side edge on them after skiing on the factory tune a few times and they became my favorite ski. Initially i liked the ski but didn't love it. the 2 degree made all the diffference.

No downside in soft snow and crud and they perform
much better in all other conditions with a 2 then with a 1 degree side edge.

If you get a pair, try them as they are from the factory and see what you think. I would highly recommend you go to a 2 side edge.
post #6 of 14

Im88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman View Post
I am also out West and can't agree with the 1 & 1 on the Monster 88.

All my skis are 1 & 3, except my i.M88. I put a 2 degree side edge on them after skiing on the factory tune a few times and they became my favorite ski. Initially i liked the ski but didn't love it. the 2 degree made all the diffference.

No downside in soft snow and crud and they perform
much better in all other conditions with a 2 then with a 1 degree side edge.

If you get a pair, try them as they are from the factory and see what you think. I would highly recommend you go to a 2 side edge.
I thought factory was 1 & 2??
post #7 of 14
All I can tell you is when I put a 2 side edge on them a fair amount of material came off and they skied much differently. Muxch better. I think they maybe 1 & 1 from the factory even though the rep I got mine from said a 1 & 2 other filks on Epic have said they come 1 & 1
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
When I tuned mine for 1 &1, not much material came out so I am thinking Atomicman is correct about factory setting (but obviously my view is just based on amount coming off so could be inaccurate). I put 1&1 on all my skis because I mostly ski off-piste adn we don't get much ice here. If 1&2 made a big difference for you, maybe I will give it a shot for next season. Good input.
post #9 of 14
All retail Heads are 1:1
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post
All retail Heads are 1:1
I want a map that is 1:1, but I am not sure where I would keep it.
post #11 of 14
I can't imagine using 1:1 on the east coast. I have a pair of 07/08 88's coming and will start with a 2 degree side. I kept my PE's at 2 and they were fine. I'm hoping the Heads will be fine as well. Has anyone gone 3?
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by B R View Post
I can't imagine using 1:1 on the east coast. I have a pair of 07/08 88's coming and will start with a 2 degree side. I kept my PE's at 2 and they were fine. I'm hoping the Heads will be fine as well. Has anyone gone 3?
Not on the Monster 88, A 3 would work just fine! But I did put a 3 degree on my Supershape Speed and i.Sl Rd. A vast improvement!

All of our Atomic's are 3 degree also.
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman View Post
Not on the Monster 88, A 3 would work just fine! But I did put a 3 degree on my Supershape Speed and i.Sl Rd. A vast improvement!

All of our Atomic's are 3 degree also.
supershape speed, head im 88's??? Atomicman you're going to need a new handle (though "head"man might not be all that advisable either )
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
supershape speed, head im 88's??? Atomicman you're going to need a new handle (though "head"man might not be all that advisable either )
Yeah, that is not going to happen!!!! Maybe Skihead! or Headtuner, or Gethead (I like that!)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Gear Reviews