EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Vermont ski visits down 7%.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vermont ski visits down 7%.

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
All I can say is, I'm doing my part!

From FirstTracks.com:
Quote:
Vermont ski areas recorded 3,820,431 skier visits for the 2006-07 ski and snowboard season, a seven percent decline from a year earlier, according to the Vermont Ski Areas Association at its June 6 Annual Meeting at Sugarbush Resort. This represents a slight decrease from Vermont’s 10-year average of 4.1 million skier visits. Total skier visits for the country are estimated to have declined by seven percent while the Northeast region also suffered a seven percent decrease, according to preliminary reports from the National Ski Areas Association (NSAA).
Who's slacking off here?????
post #2 of 21
June 7, 2007

Dear All:

"... Total skier visits for the country are estimated to have declined by seven percent ..."

No blame here for the national decline, I skied 60 days this season with no regrets.

CharlieP
post #3 of 21
I invested my share of dollars into the ski industry this year.
post #4 of 21
Hmmmm.

Let's see....a good season goes from mid-November through late March or a solid 4.5 months. Skiing sucked in the east through mid-February or more than 50% of the season. The fact that the numbers were only down 7% seems like either the figures lie or the liars figured. I know my first day wasn't until the last week of January.
post #5 of 21
Believe what you want but a few resorts in Vermont, Jay is one, actually had an increase in skier visits.
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHrefugee View Post
Believe what you want but a few resorts in Vermont, Jay is one, actually had an increase in skier visits.
Numbers? Links? Ain't true 'till you show us verifiable numbers.
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHrefugee View Post
Believe what you want but a few resorts in Vermont, Jay is one, actually had an increase in skier visits.
WEll of course Jay had an increase. The Ski Diva's had an outing up there!
Who can resist skiing with the Divas?
post #8 of 21
Oh yeah, the Divas rip!
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski now work later View Post
Oh yeah, the Divas rip!
Here's a group of women who definitely helped the skier count go up in the East
http://www.theskidiva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1081
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdr View Post
Numbers? Links? Ain't true 'till you show us verifiable numbers.
The only place that has those numbers is the VSAA and they don't share the info with member resorts. Some members do share among themselves tho. There is a press release out there about Jay, but they think they were the only resort in Vermont to have an increase. Just passsing along pretty much word for word what I was told from a reliable source.

Like I said believe what you want...no skin off my nose.
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohansson View Post
Hmmmm.

Let's see....a good season goes from mid-November through late March or a solid 4.5 months. Skiing sucked in the east through mid-February or more than 50% of the season. The fact that the numbers were only down 7% seems like either the figures lie or the liars figured. I know my first day wasn't until the last week of January.
Exactly!!!

Either people actually ski more in such a short season, or the figure is just nonsense!

(or a lot of people just skied crappy snow during Nov-Feb as much as they did in a "normal" year)

[EDIT]
Oh yes I admit skiing a lot of my days at 1/2 price because a bunch of people who went up during X'mas/New Year got "comp" tickets when there's no snow. Ticket they had no time to use and gave them to me.

So I don't know if those of my days were counted or not.
post #12 of 21
Let's see, one thinks the numbers are bogus cause he didn't start skiing until the last week in January. The other cause his half days might have been counted. Sound logic....: Unreal...

Here are some facts, by Jan 25th most of the resorts in northern Vermont were 100% open. the Bush was 100% open on Jan 21st. The Bush even got 10" New Years Eve and the skiing was excellent on New Years day. BTW real skiers do ski in crappy conditions I guess that leaves you guys out...

The number of skiers over the President's holiday in Feb were record breaking in Vermont.
http://www.skivermont.com/central/pr...s.php?tid=3119

Since the previous season was a down season(-6%) and last week of Jan, Feb, March and April was very busy the -7% works plus there is no reason for the VSAA to lie about the numbers. Due to great snow conditions and alittle thing called pent up demand the resorts did better in Feb, March and April than previous years.

Course if there were a few that has increases over the previous season than a few resort did worse than -7%, probably the ones you guys went to......
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Here are some facts, by Jan 25th most of the resorts in northern Vermont were 100% open. the Bush was 100% open on Jan 21st. The Bush even got 10" New Years Eve and the skiing was excellent on New Years day.
Yeah, right! *Northern* Vermont! What percentage of skiers do they take in in the *entire* Vermont? 10%?

It's like saying Wisconson has great snow condition so the whole country must have a great season! Get real.
post #14 of 21

100% Increase

The family and I got 40 skier days in Vermont this year. That's 100% increase from last year. Lot's of freshies.

I even got a few sweet powder days at Jay.

I did my part, but I'll try harder next year!

180 days and counting........
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by at_nyc View Post
Yeah, right! *Northern* Vermont! What percentage of skiers do they take in in the *entire* Vermont? 10%?

It's like saying Wisconson has great snow condition so the whole country must have a great season! Get real.
Well, northern Vermont is Sugarbush, MRG, Bolton, Smuggs, Stowe and Jay, more than 10% and I think a few resorts south like Okemo had decent numbers considering.
post #16 of 21
The unofficial insider information I have is that the Catskill Ski Resort skier/rider visits are down 20% from normal. I could see where Vermont Ski Resorts may have benefited from the Catskill Mountain Resorts lower cusomter visits and even worse weather than Vermont. Obviously this is just one big theoretical guess on my part with no real data also known as spreading rumors.

Just for kicks lets ask a different question. Would 10 percent of Catskill's ski resorts 700,000+ (btw this number is another guess on my part) skier visits per year help Vermont numbers enough to even notice. Lets say Vermont got an extra 50,000 or even 100,000 skier visits that would normally have gone to the Catskill mountains but because of bad weather and bad ju-ju folks decided to ski further north this year. Would this have helped Vermont's numbers enough to even notice. ? How about if we add in lost skier visits from other states like PA, MA, and CT where skiers may have traveled further north to get in their ski and rider visits.
post #17 of 21
That seems to agree with my experience too - N Vt did have a season this year. Central on south had a much more condensed version, although they had their days mid/late.

I would be curious to know what the % visits are for N Vt vs the whole state.
post #18 of 21
Stowe had a lot of snow but was down for the year.
post #19 of 21
I'm going to take a wild guess and say Killington did pretty well early season......on many days, I would run into people who had come over from other resorts that were barely open.
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHrefugee View Post
Let's see, one thinks the numbers are bogus cause he didn't start skiing until the last week in January. The other cause his half days might have been counted. Sound logic....: Unreal...

Here are some facts, by Jan 25th most of the resorts in northern Vermont were 100% open. the Bush was 100% open on Jan 21st. The Bush even got 10" New Years Eve and the skiing was excellent on New Years day. BTW real skiers do ski in crappy conditions I guess that leaves you guys out...

The number of skiers over the President's holiday in Feb were record breaking in Vermont.
http://www.skivermont.com/central/pr...s.php?tid=3119

Since the previous season was a down season(-6%) and last week of Jan, Feb, March and April was very busy the -7% works plus there is no reason for the VSAA to lie about the numbers. Due to great snow conditions and alittle thing called pent up demand the resorts did better in Feb, March and April than previous years.

Course if there were a few that has increases over the previous season than a few resort did worse than -7%, probably the ones you guys went to......
I HATE TO POKE HOLES IN YOUR ARGUMENT BUT SINCE YOU USED ME AS AN EXAMPLE....FLAME ON

What's the biggest week for skier days at most resorts???? Christmas week, of course. Oh wait, Christmas week was before January 25th???? I guess I really don't get it. :::

Check out my home...I didn't get a single day in Vermont this year. I rarely get more than 3 or 4 every year. I was merely trying to point out that the weather sucked all over the Northeast until late January. I think that a 7% decrease given the lousy weather seems to be an underestimation.

How were the conditions at ESA Stowe this year????
post #21 of 21
Guilty as charged. Injuries kept me away and since I am the "ring leader" and resident ski nut, that made my clan, all 6-10 people, stay away as well. We promise to make up for it this year.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Vermont ski visits down 7%.