EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Ski Instruction & Coaching › Ugly from the side (or the I got squished thread)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ugly from the side (or the I got squished thread) - Page 2

post #31 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
Yes but the I think you mentioned the main difference in your post. I am about the same size (6'3", My poles are 48") but I use my poles very aggressivily and plant on every turn I make (when my arms not in a cast that is). So I'm wondering if since my poles are a little short, will I have to bend over farther to get my pole in the snow?
Steeper terrain ,yes, Bumps no.
post #32 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
Yes but the I think you mentioned the main difference in your post. I am about the same size (6'3", My poles are 48") but I use my poles very aggressivily and plant on every turn I make (when my arms not in a cast that is). So I'm wondering if since my poles are a little short, will I have to bend over farther to get my pole in the snow?
I still bet otherwise. First, I know you spend time on decently steep slopes. As noted in one of the mainstream rags last fall, the steeper the slope gets, the less and less you can really count on a pole plant for anything other than guiding movement (I'm not sure they even allowed that) - and at 45 degrees the dropoff to make a true plant or even touch is virtually impossible. Further - in Stevens environs style mank/slush you can have to drive many inches deep before there is meaningful contact with anything on a typical turn. Even using powder baskets. So under those conditions I doubt an inch or two of pole is the driving issue...
post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by borntoski683 View Post
The picture of the guy in the red jacket? Please. That hurts my back just thinking about it. There is no need or functional use for having to bend so far forward at the waist like that, other than compensate for poor hip positioning to maintain fore-aft balance.
At least you got one part of that statement above correct!
post #34 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
Yes but the I think you mentioned the main difference in your post. I am about the same size (6'3", My poles are 48") but I use my poles very aggressivily and plant on every turn I make (when my arms not in a cast that is). So I'm wondering if since my poles are a little short, will I have to bend over farther to get my pole in the snow?
For whatever its worth, my current poles are slightly on the short side at 48" and I am 5'9". Yea your poles are short dude.
post #35 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by borntoski683 View Post
Phil,
Don't be too hard on yourself. In that snow, a lot can happen. It would be better if we saw video of a set of turns to look for recurring patterns and movements and perhaps find something for you to work on. Or we might see no problems at all and just the dynamics of a 50F PNW snow day.

All that being said, I completely do not agree with the other posters about the hips so far back behind your feet being "ideal". The picture of the guy in the red jacket? Please. That hurts my back just thinking about it. There is no need or functional use for having to bend so far forward at the waist like that, other than compensate for poor hip positioning to maintain fore-aft balance.
You don't see this as a frozen moment in time where is a making a reaching pole plant amd is going to turn around it on a steep slope. It looks like good skiing to me. Maybe I suck but I could easily see the reach and turn on a firm surface. The snow looks like ankle high on a firm undersurface.
post #36 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryZ View Post
You don't see this as a frozen moment in time where is a making a reaching pole plant amd is going to turn around it on a steep slope.
No I don't see it that way.

While planting your pole is a good thing, having to bend way over like that just for the pole plant is not where its at, so no I don't buy that as an acceptable reason.

Given the source of the pic, its typical CSIA stance. Don't get me started.
post #37 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryZ View Post
Lots of semi locals are PNW skiers. Maybe lure some of the Oregon folks up too

Where we going?
post #38 of 44
dude if thats heavy wet sticky snow the only thing you could do is get some Zardoz Notwax. and tons for structure.

Maybe soem midwinter pictures next time?
post #39 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by memosteve View Post
Where we going?
Meet for a gathering next year. How about Baker or Crystal ?
post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by borntoski683 View Post
No I don't see it that way.

While planting your pole is a good thing, having to bend way over like that just for the pole plant is not where its at, so no I don't buy that as an acceptable reason.

Given the source of the pic, its typical CSIA stance. Don't get me started.
In a place where you had to make a turn at one spot and only that spot you would stop your sideways motion plant a pole and turn around it and make a choice for your next option. If he was out in the open I would think differantly but to make a turn on a steep and connect through a narrow section or through an opening . Why wouldn't this be good tactical skiing to fit terrain and turn shape?
post #41 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
dude if thats heavy wet sticky snow the only thing you could do is get some Zardoz Notwax. and tons for structure.

Maybe soem midwinter pictures next time?
Bushwacker, this is washington. Our mid-winter snow falls heavy and wet and often at above freezing temperatures.

Actually 1st and very last pic were mid ish winter (april) and probably around or below freezing and snow was not as bad (if your counting 7" on coral reef better than glop).
post #42 of 44
Thread Starter 
See the place I was going with the whole pole things is maybe I wouldnt have to lean over as much with a longer poles.
post #43 of 44
PhilT,

Quote:
See the place I was going with the whole pole things is maybe I wouldnt have to lean over as much with a longer poles
I'm 5'10 and use a 50" pole. At 6'3, I would guess that you would benefit from poles longer than 48". The nice thing is if you get longer poles and don't like them, they can be cut down.

RW
post #44 of 44
I used to use 52s at 6-2 then I changed to 50s. I definitely ski more bent over now though. But I thought that was the new thing - more athletic or something.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Instruction & Coaching
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Ski Instruction & Coaching › Ugly from the side (or the I got squished thread)