EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › My review of the movie 'Steep'...Incredible!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My review of the movie 'Steep'...Incredible!

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Today I was fortunate to go to the Tribeca Film Festival in NYC and attend a screening of the documentary film 'Steep'. I felt the movie was excellent. It covered the chronological order of the history of modern steep skiing from Bill Briggs to Patrick Vallecant to Schmidt to Coombs to McConkey/Morrison/Davenport. The film also had great interviews with Lou Dawson and Andrew McLean. There was a scene with Andrew McLean climbing a face in Iceland where they triggered a huge slide and the cameraman was so close you could see the 3 climbers/skiers go into the avalanche within 20 yards or less on screen, it was amazing footage and everyone survived. The center of the film was around Doug Coombs and it had a lot of different footage of him, especially in the Chugach and in LaGrave days before his unfortunate death. It was really nice to see all the interview footage of Doug and watch his progression over the years. Even at 47, Doug was still an unbelivably fast ripping skier, he was apart of steep skiing scene through 3 decades.

My only criticism of the film was they didn't have any female footage other than Ingrid Backstom. Now Ingrid is easily the greatest female free skier in the world at the moment and it was awesome watching her charge huge lines at Seth and Shane speeds, but I think the film makers should have included Kristen Ulmer who had many many first descents both solo and as first female. She was the first female to descent the Grand Teton as well as many other routes throughout the world. Not to name drop, but John Egan told me years ago that Kristen Ulmer had the biggest balls of any skier he every skied with.

Overall the movie was fantastic for any die hard ski fan. The director stated they were working on getting the film released sometime next fall. If they don't (as many film festival films do not get released) I hope at least they are able to get a DVD release out of it.
post #2 of 15
Skijunkie - nice review. Too bad it's not showing here in the middle of the pacific, the epicenter of skiing.
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoki View Post
Skijunkie - nice review. Too bad it's not showing here in the middle of the pacific, the epicenter of skiing.
Thanks G, thanks for letting me know about the film or I would have probably missed it, I went in spirit for you and L (Even though L could have gone, but he put work first, what a loser) hopefully it will come out on DVD later this year....
post #4 of 15

I was better dealed

Skijunkie-

Great review. I hope I get to see the flick. Would have love to have gone but I guess I ain't good enough. Inviting me would not have helped your career, right?
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi View Post
Skijunkie-

Great review. I hope I get to see the flick. Would have love to have gone but I guess I ain't good enough. Inviting me would not have helped your career, right?
Ah, but he did invite you and you declined by not replying.
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=55799

If I lived closer, I'd have been his date!!!

Thanks for the review! Looks like one more to add to my library wish list.

Luigi, You coming to ESA Stowe again?
post #6 of 15
Would love to BUT only if Highway Star is my ski instructor
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi View Post
Would love to BUT only if Highway Star is my ski instructor
Only if ESA moves to Killington.

Sorry i missed the showing. I am a buyer when it hits DVD.
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by skijunkie View Post
My only criticism of the film was they didn't have any female footage other than Ingrid Backstom. Now Ingrid is easily the greatest female free skier in the world at the moment and it was awesome watching her charge huge lines at Seth and Shane speeds, but I think the film makers should have included Kristen Ulmer who had many many first descents both solo and as first female. She was the first female to descent the Grand Teton as well as many other routes throughout the world. Not to name drop, but John Egan told me years ago that Kristen Ulmer had the biggest balls of any skier he every skied with.
Might be as simple as having something to do with who own's rights to the footage and how many $$$ the owner wanted to let it be included. The rights to make derivative works can be very expensive for small indie producers working with a fixed budget.
post #9 of 15
Ingrid is the greatest women freeskier of all time. There are girls that I know and know of that someday IMO can be better. A couple kids here at the bird around 20 are really pushing what girls can do on skis.

one of them is this girl

post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
Ingrid is the greatest women freeskier of all time. There are girls that I know and know of that someday IMO can be better. A couple kids here at the bird around 20 are really pushing what girls can do on skis.

one of them is this girl
Chicks on Sticks?
Changes the term........"That looks like something your mother would ski!"
post #11 of 15
Tribeca Film Festival sneak peek:
http://lx.com/drinks/2007/04/20/trib...special-steep/

I've always appreciated their guts and talent, but this brought a whole new perspective!!!
post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking kaj View Post
Might be as simple as having something to do with who own's rights to the footage and how many $$$ the owner wanted to let it be included. The rights to make derivative works can be very expensive for small indie producers working with a fixed budget.
Nah wasn't the case, they had many skier interviews and footage that just didn't make the film. I spoke with the director for awhile after the screening, he stated that even people like Jeremy Nobis wound up on the cutting room floor. Bottom line is they just couldn't include everyone.
post #13 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi View Post
Skijunkie-

Great review. I hope I get to see the flick. Would have love to have gone but I guess I ain't good enough. Inviting me would not have helped your career, right?
No I think you going would have not helped your career
post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekchick View Post
Ah, but he did invite you and you declined by not replying.
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=55799

If I lived closer, I'd have been his date!!!

Thanks for the review! Looks like one more to add to my library wish list.

Luigi, You coming to ESA Stowe again?
trekchick I am sure my gf would have enjoyed your company as well

Definitely one worth owning for the collection.

Luigi said it best, if HS is his coach he would be there, I think it's great that Luigi has finally find the perfect person to mentor him in his skiing and teaching
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by skijunkie View Post
trekchick I am sure my gf would have enjoyed your company as well

Definitely one worth owning for the collection.

Luigi said it best, if HS is his coach he would be there, I think it's great that Luigi has finally find the perfect person to mentor him in his skiing and teaching
And my husband.

And I thought I was the real mentor at ESA
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › My review of the movie 'Steep'...Incredible!