or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

runaway snowboards

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
At least once if not twice a day I see a riderless board. These idiots never even holler a warning, they just stand there and gape.

What is it about boarders? They just can't seem to get it. Granted, you can't even buy skis without an automatic brake so this has been taken away from the ski side of the equation but ....... how do those things get loose so often?
post #2 of 28
Ideally, when carrying the board, the lease(long enough) should be around your arm.

Problem is, 1 - hate to say it, some instructors don't stress this safety aspect, 2 - there are short leases that barely make it from the boot to the binding. 3 - boarders aren't told to yell something when it runs away. 4 - boarders should put on the leash before strapping into the binding.

Rental boards are hard to keep leashes on. Kids take them off because they get in the way. You'll see beginners sitting on them and riding them down the hill. Plenty of run aways that way!!

Instructors and patrollers need to stress safety. Regular skiers should also mention something. We are all in this together!!

Last year when I found several of my students without leashes I investigated. There were none in the rental shop! They had been removed by the renters. I told management that this was unacceptable, especially during "Ski Safety Week"!!! and that I would call NSAA and the Capital. Leashes were then found, and by the following week, all boards had leashes again.

Don't know if they were used, that is the next item we all have to work on.
post #3 of 28
Up at snoqualmie where i work, the lift ops are told not to let people load if they don't have a leash on their board. however, a lot of people still slip by due to the fact that there are just too many people to check on each lift.
post #4 of 28
Really? Where do you ski? I skied for 12 years before switching over to the "dark side" of snowboarding. I've skied and ridden all over and probably get out 20-25 days a year. I've seen no more than 2-3 "runaway boards" EVER!!!! I just don't see this as a big problem...I guess I must be in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Most places I ride have someting on the lift ticket or posted at the base that says if you don't use a leash and lose your board, you'll lose your lift ticket.
post #5 of 28
State law in WA requires a leash. Any mountian that has a preponderance of kids/learners will have lots of runaway boards... kids hiking down, take board off to build jump, broken binding etc.

Irulan
post #6 of 28
Instructors especially need to stress the safety. Also make sure you tell your friends and others to not try to stop a fast moving board or ski. I have seen a run away ski break someones leg! Some guy was trying to stop a runaway and figured the hard skiboot would protect him. broke his tibia...
post #7 of 28
[RANT]

Runaway boards I would prefer to runaway boarders. My new slogan....

"Another day skiing, another snowboarder attack"

Yesterday a boarder jumped off an overhang onto a VERY (as in ALWAYS) busy run. He hit me from behind, diving into the back of my knees. Fortunately I was able to SIT on his back and belly surfed him (he was face down)to a stop. Once we stoped he said "Sorry, when I jumped I couldn't see the landing and didn't know if anyone was down there." Idiot!!! Would you rocket onto a busy highway and merge over three lanes without looking to see if another vehicle was there? I think not - so why do it on a ski slope?

After that I encounter several boarders off to the side of a run smoking pot. Great - stoned boarders, just what we need (same goes for skier).

[/RANT]

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ February 04, 2002 11:41 AM: Message edited 1 time, by Sugar Snack ]</font>
post #8 of 28
Saturday - spent 5 minutes of my life (may I have those back please) trying to explain to a 15 year old "yo dude" why we didn't want him launching air from behind a big spruce out into the intermediate run.

"But dude, it is the only nice hit like that with a sweet run-out." Perhaps he missed the frigging terrain park or the other 1200 acres on the mountain?

Mr. Playah Hater....
post #9 of 28
Sugar, Saturday two close encounters with boarders, one almost ended in a fist fight, but I don't think he was legal. Two boarders were sitting at the narrow opening at the end of little Portillo. In order for skiers and boarders to make it to the top they have to be going fairly fast and there is not a lot of room to go through there. I tried to politely explain that to the two rocket scientists, but they just wanted to give me a hard time. The other encounter was a boarder trying to jump the trail that goes to Right Angle Ridge. He almost hit two of us.
post #10 of 28
Hi,
I'm trying to find out more about accidents that are caused by runaway snowboards.
I'm looking for everything concerning the issue, articles, persons that have been hit by a runaway board or any other thing you can think of.
It seams to me tha you have a very strong oppinion on this and I hoping to get some help from you.
Thank you kindly

Jenny Wallmark
Sob
ps thake a look at www.boardbrake.com


<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by yuki:
At least once if not twice a day I see a riderless board. These idiots never even holler a warning, they just stand there and gape.

What is it about boarders? They just can't seem to get it. Granted, you can't even buy skis without an automatic brake so this has been taken away from the ski side of the equation but ....... how do those things get loose so often?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
post #11 of 28
I’m trying to do some research on what accidents runaway snowboards have done in the US. And I’m hoping that you might be able to help me since you seams to know a lot about the issue. I would like to find out everything about these accidents and the injuries they have caused. Everything you know is of interest for me so please contact me!

Thank you kindly

Jenny Wallmark e-mail: jenny@sob.se
sob

take a look at www.boardbrake.com


<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KeeTov:
Ideally, when carrying the board, the lease(long enough) should be around your arm.

Problem is, 1 - hate to say it, some instructors don't stress this safety aspect, 2 - there are short leases that barely make it from the boot to the binding. 3 - boarders aren't told to yell something when it runs away. 4 - boarders should put on the leash before strapping into the binding.

Rental boards are hard to keep leashes on. Kids take them off because they get in the way. You'll see beginners sitting on them and riding them down the hill. Plenty of run aways that way!!

Instructors and patrollers need to stress safety. Regular skiers should also mention something. We are all in this together!!

Last year when I found several of my students without leashes I investigated. There were none in the rental shop! They had been removed by the renters. I told management that this was unacceptable, especially during "Ski Safety Week"!!! and that I would call NSAA and the Capital. Leashes were then found, and by the following week, all boards had leashes again.

Don't know if they were used, that is the next item we all have to work on.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
post #12 of 28
Hi,
I’m trying to do some research on what accidents runaway snowboards have done in the US. And I’m hoping that you might be able to help me since you seams to know a lot about the issue. I would like to find out everything about these accidents and the injuries they have caused. Everything you know is of interest for me so please contact me!

Thank you kindly

Jenny Wallmarke-mail: jenny@sob.se
sob

take a look at www.boardbrake.com

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phillyuw:
Up at snoqualmie where i work, the lift ops are told not to let people load if they don't have a leash on their board. however, a lot of people still slip by due to the fact that there are just too many people to check on each lift.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
post #13 of 28
Hi,
I’m trying to do some research on what accidents runaway snowboards have done in the US. And I’m hoping that you might be able to help me since you seams to know a lot about the issue. I would like to find out everything about these accidents and the injuries they have caused. Everything you know is of interest for me so please contact me!

Thank you kindly

Jenny Wallmarke-mail: jenny@sob.se
sob

take a look at www.boardbrake.com

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Irulan:
State law in WA requires a leash. Any mountian that has a preponderance of kids/learners will have lots of runaway boards... kids hiking down, take board off to build jump, broken binding etc.

Irulan
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
post #14 of 28
Hi,
I’m trying to do some research on what accidents runaway snowboards have done in the US. And I’m hoping that you might be able to help me since you seams to know a lot about the issue. I would like to find out everything about these accidents and the injuries they have caused. Everything you know is of interest for me so please contact me!

Thank you kindly

Jenny Wallmarke-mail: jenny@sob.se
sob

take a look at www.boardbrake.com

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dchan:
Instructors especially need to stress the safety. Also make sure you tell your friends and others to not try to stop a fast moving board or ski. I have seen a run away ski break someones leg! Some guy was trying to stop a runaway and figured the hard skiboot would protect him. broke his tibia...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
post #15 of 28
Hi,
I’m trying to do some research on what accidents runaway snowboards have done in the US. And I’m hoping that you might be able to help me since you seams to know a lot about the issue. I would like to find out everything about these accidents and the injuries they have caused. Everything you know is of interest for me so please contact me!

Thank you kindly

Jenny Wallmarke-mail: jenny@sob.se
sob

take a look at www.boardbrake.com

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sugar Snack:
[RANT]

Runaway boards I would prefer to runaway boarders. My new slogan....

"Another day skiing, another snowboarder attack"

Yesterday a boarder jumped off an overhang onto a VERY (as in ALWAYS) busy run. He hit me from behind, diving into the back of my knees. Fortunately I was able to SIT on his back and belly surfed him (he was face down)to a stop. Once we stoped he said "Sorry, when I jumped I couldn't see the landing and didn't know if anyone was down there." Idiot!!! Would you rocket onto a busy highway and merge over three lanes without looking to see if another vehicle was there? I think not - so why do it on a ski slope?

After that I encounter several boarders off to the side of a run smoking pot. Great - stoned boarders, just what we need (same goes for skier).

[/RANT]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
post #16 of 28
Hi,
I’m trying to do some research on what accidents runaway snowboards have done in the US. And I’m hoping that you might be able to help me since you seams to know a lot about the issue. I would like to find out everything about these accidents and the injuries they have caused. Everything you know is of interest for me so please contact me!

Thank you kindly

Jenny Wallmarke-mail: jenny@sob.se
sob

take a look at www.boardbrake.com

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tanglefoot:
Saturday - spent 5 minutes of my life (may I have those back please) trying to explain to a 15 year old "yo dude" why we didn't want him launching air from behind a big spruce out into the intermediate run.

"But dude, it is the only nice hit like that with a sweet run-out." Perhaps he missed the frigging terrain park or the other 1200 acres on the mountain?

Mr. Playah Hater....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
post #17 of 28
Hey Jenny, we get the message that you are trying to do some reseacrh.

Runaway boards, runaway skis. As bad as each other, mostly avoidable, always going to happen. You must admit though, it is hilarious to watch a runaway careen over a cliff (provided no heads are underneath said cliff)
post #18 of 28
I caught a runaway board last season at Whakapapa. I managed to cut it off at the pass by hitting it with the tip if my ski which caused it to flip and tumble and land on its back. For those that know the area it was gonna either demo the valley T bar queue or take 100ft of air into broken leg, which was closed with no snow and would have resulted in a pretty nasty rescue mission.

I then took it to the bottom of the run and waited for the gaper who was lumbering after it. Imagine my surprise when this chap was wearing an instructors uniform.

Well I won't mention the name other than to say it starts with "M" and ends with "urray", and he is from the US somewhere (that narrows it down a bit - not).

Never did get the beers he was gonna buy for saving his arse either.
post #19 of 28
I assume Riccardo, that you wiped your bung with the board before returning it?
post #20 of 28
This is why mountains (such as Taos) that keep the boarders away, will continue to get my money. . .
post #21 of 28
My 4 y son was hit by a runaway board earlier this winter. Nothing happened since it missed his boots by and inch but nocked him down anyways. Nobody hollared!!! The kid that finally came and asked for the board got a 1 minute long lecture before I handed the board back. I was in uniform. His father didnt even come and apologize.

I think the reason nobody hollars is because they think they can get away with it since nothing hopefully will happen.

Worse was when a telemark ski crashed into a suvenier stand a few weeks ago.
post #22 of 28
Yeah, they are a progression from Big Feet, enough said.
post #23 of 28
Rock/Riccardo,
How did you get from snowboards to skiboards?

And in terms of progressions, if you're on twin tip skis, then you're riding long ski boards.

When was the last time you were on ski boards anyway?

Actually, don't answer that, I can't be bothered wasting my energy on a row with you.

S
post #24 of 28
Hey WTFH, my comment was a bit tongue in cheek, and I was actually replying to the other snowboard post but put it here by accident!

You know me, I am in favour of whatever turns each individual on.

post #25 of 28
Aha, that explains it - I thought it was very un-you to post something like that, off topic. I mean going off topic is something I don't like, and something that shouldn't be done.

OK, tomorrow is my last day before the computer gets packed up for my big move to England, so, everyone, prepare for a quiet weekend, with no fox around! I don't know exactly when I'll be back after tomorrow night, so don't miss me too much.


Now, what was I saying about going off topic?


S
post #26 of 28
Good luck for the move. Ah, sunny England.
[img]tongue.gif[/img]
post #27 of 28
Snowblades are a fad anyway. They are as camp as mono-skiing, and as challenging as noughts and crosses. They won't last.
post #28 of 28

mod note: spam and related posts have been removed.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion