or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How fast do you ski? - Page 3

post #61 of 297
Calling BS on 60+. Experienced speed event racer on the right gear in a speed event I'll buy it. Gaper with delusions of grandeur and a GPS "tuckin" ? NOT.
post #62 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer256 View Post
Calling BS on 60+. Experienced speed event racer on the right gear in a speed event I'll buy it. Gaper with delusions of grandeur and a GPS "tuckin" ? NOT.
Ohhh, another guy with racesomething in his name-he must be an authority!! And he's from mass.!
post #63 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer256 View Post
Calling BS on 60+. Experienced speed event racer on the right gear in a speed event I'll buy it. Gaper with delusions of grandeur and a GPS "tuckin" ? NOT.

Believe it or not, Jeremy Nobis has more than likely hit 60+ numberous times. Not tucking. In normal baggy ski clothes. In powder.

I agree that 60+ mph is stoopidfast, but if you think it only happens on a race course you need to broaden your horizons a bit.
post #64 of 297
post #65 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
And beyond, I'm saying that I think a lot of folks aren't going out TRYING to do those speeds, they ARE doing those speeds and we don't ever think about it. As best I could tell, 35-45 was the NORM, not the exception.
In my opinion 35-45 is fast, 50 is very fast, depending on skis, conditions, and skier, 50 is easily doable. BW and Zion were talking 65-70 mph as a normal recreational speed, and that's where I called BS.

These claims usually come down something like someone saying he was clocked doing 'x' mph, but was only skiing at 80%, so 'x' times 1.25 is easy. or, someone was clocked going 50 but he had his short skis on, so if he got downhill skis he could have easily done 60+... or he had to slow down for traffic, but if he didn't.....
by this logic, I was clocked on a speed run doing 74mph, using only about 600 vert feet. Since my mountain is 1600 vert. feet, I could easily go, WOW, 197.33 MPH!!!!

That extra 5 mph is a lot harder to attain than the previous 15mph....
post #66 of 297
Not an authority. Ex HS coach and avid Nastar guy with single dig nat HCP. My OPINION is that 60 is not a number most folks can hit.

As for MA and NE in general?

Well Bode is from NH. Two of the top 5 2007 Alpine NCAA teams are in NE. Dartmouth (#1 incidentally) and VT.

I have 5 MTs within 2 hrs of my house. I cannot count how many in 4 hrs drive.

Hey wax up. Maybe you'll hit 100.
post #67 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-turn View Post
In my opinion 35-45 is fast, 50 is very fast, depending on skis, conditions, and skier, 50 is easily doable. BW and Zion were talking 65-70 mph as a normal recreational speed, and that's where I called BS.
Work on the reading comprehension there bud. I said 60+ on hard, steep, snow with no turns. Thats not a normal recreational type thing.
post #68 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer256 View Post
Ex HS coach and avid Nastar guy
Well why didn't you say so! Don't be modest! Nastar...:


Quote:
I have 5 MTs within 2 hrs of my house. I cannot count how many in 4 hrs drive.
Oh yeah? Well... I have like 300 mountains within two hours of my place! So does Lonnie. So does Zigzag.

Neener neener.....:
post #69 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer256 View Post
My OPINION is that 60 is not a number most folks can hit.
Most folks? You're probably right, but you said it can't be done. This forum is full of guys that have skied 100+ days a year for alot of years. We're not talking about the typical drive-to-the-hill-on-the-weekend crowd.


Heh, the Mass thing, I'm just busting on you, one of the guys I ski most with is from mass, he's super solid and smooth.
post #70 of 297
Wow. You three, esp you Jer, are awesome. Ya know, 90 - is like totally do-able in powder wearing a pack and avalanche shovel on teles. I hit 90 at Wachusett in Feb. The cop car in the parking lot turned on his blues but then saw it was me that tripped the gun.

He was all -"Slow down!" And I was all like, "No way, pig!" It was cool.

155 is the world record btw. Can ya go 155 Jer? Can ya? Ya know, maybe if you ditched the mid fats and took off the parka for a run?

Silly goose.
post #71 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
This forum is full of guys that have skied 100+ days a year for alot of years.
So the number of days a year that you ski determines your speed???

so if I only ski 80+ days I can only go 48+ MPH?
post #72 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
Well why didn't you say so! Don't be modest! Nastar...:




Oh yeah? Well... I have like 300 mountains within two hours of my place! So does Lonnie. So does Zigzag.

Neener neener.....:
When you ski like Jer-ry Lewis, it just looks like you are going fast
post #73 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer256 View Post
Wow. You three, esp you Jer, are awesome. Ya know, 90 - is like totally do-able in powder wearing a pack and avalanche shovel on teles. I hit 90 at Wachusett in Feb. The cop car in the parking lot turned on his blues but then saw it was me that tripped the gun.

He was all -"Slow down!" And I was all like, "No way, pig!" It was cool.

155 is the world record btw. Can ya go 155 Jer? Can ya? Ya know, maybe if you ditched the mid fats and took off the parka for a run?

Silly goose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman View Post
So the number of days a year that you ski determines your speed???

so if I only ski 80+ days I can only go 48+ MPH?
I see you guys are running out of smart things to say to back up your positions.
post #74 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Ya think?

J/K most of the top end speeds were on steep but "short" pitches. Most of them were empty. There was a tuck or two thrown in for good measure.

EDIT: On a serious note, drag may have been the reason that we all seemed to max out at about the same speeds. Physicsman?

http://forums.epicski.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=51

Scroll down a bit further to see a graph illustrating terminal velocity. It sure is possible to have a bunch of similar size/weight skiers top out around the same speed.
post #75 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
it can be done just most on here dont have the strenght and skills to ski that fast
What is your deal? You ski out west a short while and suddenly you're the most arrogant poster on this forum. None of the great skiers here or on TGR talk as much crap as you (well, except for Highway Star). Are you even a level III instructor yet?
post #76 of 297
Somebody needs...

this.

post #77 of 297
Thread Starter 
Bob,

You can get radar guns on profrom for less than 2 Ben Franklin's....
post #78 of 297
^^^^endlesseason has one, we've used it, I posted what my results were. Where did that get us?
post #79 of 297
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
http://forums.epicski.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=51

Scroll down a bit further to see a graph illustrating terminal velocity. It sure is possible to have a bunch of similar size/weight skiers top out around the same speed.
You mean this graph?



So we have a bunch of folks with data from separate measured trials with multiple devices saying it's (50-60mph) is (easily) do-able, and real physics equations saying it's do-able and a bunch of naysayers saying it's impossible. Humm????
post #80 of 297
I satiate my need for speed early, when its cold, hard and empty. I've never come close to hitting anyone at top speed and never ski more than 70% of capacity any other time throughout the day.

After buying twin-tips this year I've tried to be more conscious of my 20 foot 'rooster tail' and I feel that it has improved my overall vision and anticipation of other skiers on the hill making me a safer skier.

The only time I've come close to hitting someone was on a nearly empty hill, in slightly chewed powder when I was completely absorbed in my turns. I was oblivious to everything around and was completely surprised when suddenly there was a guy hurtling towards me, coming across the hill. We missed each other by about 6 inches and it scared me something good.

This has lead me to recognizing that yes I'm probably gonna crash skiing and yes I could get hurt but hitting someone on a groomer because of my own idiocy is the worst way for that to happen.


./end life story.
post #81 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer256 View Post
155 is the world record btw. Can ya go 155 Jer? Can ya? Ya know, maybe if you ditched the mid fats and took off the parka for a run?

Silly goose.
The joke's on you, ya silly goose! I don't ski on skinny little mid fats. Everybody here knows that!

Stay safe on that Nastar course!
post #82 of 297

Okay, folks, my last post in this thread...

...if you want to go fast, stop the BS and get in a course. Every course I've ever been in has a known length...in which case, you can pretty much figure your average speed or there's somebody standing in the fast section with a radar gun, or both. I've been clocked at 74 m. p. h. Period. Not my opinion, that's what it was. I'm pretty comfortable going that speed, but you never start out going that fast in your non-stops...which are now mandatory for Super G, too.

I can also tell you that, after having raced probably 50 speed events over the last 15 years, 50 is quick, 60 is quicker, but the whole world changes exponentially when you get past 70. A bump you wouldn't notice at 50 suddenly kicks you 60 feet, and the world comes up at you a lot faster than you ever thought was possible. I have a good friend who I race with on the weekends and who drives Porsches on a track in the summer. According to him, most people think they can drive any speed, but the facts are that without a bunch of time getting used to really high speeds, at 130 m. p. h. and above, the average F1 wannabe is way beyond what he can handle. Same is true of speed on skis.

I have people running this number on me all the time: "Wow you ski race? That's really dangerous." Uh uh, Jack, what's really hazardous to your health is skiing with the public. Rocky Mountain Masters has some of the toughest speed events in the country, and we got through another year with no deaths and not many injuries, either. Not so fortunate was the skiing public in Colorado. Every year, X number of the skiing public kill themselves running into trees in Colorado. I think this year it was less than 10. Some years, it's in the double digits by January. Cause of the accident is invariably too much speed for the skier's ability.

So if you think you've been out cruising around at 60 plus on a blue run, you're either kidding yourself or you're stupid. I got center punched 5 years ago at Keystone by a snowboarder...but it could have just as easily been a skier, because they weren't doing anything smarter that day than this dude who turfed me...who, and this is the part I really like, as they were putting me on the sled, and I'm trying to figure out if I have some broken ribs or anything else besides a concussion and a broken collarbone, says "Gee...I don't know what happened. I was in perfect control!"

So there it is, as we used to say in Vietnam. At any speed over 60, perfect control is just an illusion. One of the things it took me less than a season to figure out is that if you're going to play with going fast on skis, you're going to eat it, probably sooner than later...and the only safe place to do that is in a course. I've won speed events, and I've also hit the fence...fortunately, only 4 times in 15 years, but every time, I was past 70, and I was sure I was doing just fine...until one nanosecond later I was taking a trip to McDonald's.

I walked away from all 4 with only minor injuries and two broken pairs of 212s, which I owe not to anything skillful on my part, but to luck. And also good course preparation, a TD who didn't just fall down with the last drop of rain, and copious amounts of fencing, padding, and so forth. Also useful was the fact that I was the only person at the scene of the crime; if there'd been anyone or anything else in my path...well, I wouldn't be ski racing any more, and I doubt I'd be walking very far, either, except maybe on crutches.

You want to play hardball? Fine, wear a cup, and keep out of everybody else's way until you know what you're doing.
post #83 of 297
My racing bike has a speedometer, and I ride a pretty similar tuck on the bike and on skis. I've noticed that at 15mph you start to push air enough to make it worth tucking, and the highest I've gone since getting the speedo was 45 (I'm pretty sure I've gone higher than that, since I've only had the speedo in the East, and the mountains out West are bigger and steeper, which applies to the roads too.) 45 on a race bike is enough to get significant wind chill. My finger tips, ears and nose get cold. The force of air resistance also gets pretty powerful - going upright can result in a loss of stability.

All that's not a very exact calibration, especially since I (usually) wear more when I ski. I'd say I've probably broken 40 on skis, but not often, and I'm generally one of the fastest on the hill. Except, of course, approaching those damn blind rises. But I'd jump at the opportunity to get radared.
post #84 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
And the epicskiers wonder why they get called gapers. I'm with the others, I've been clocked at 60+ mph with a radar gun and I would swear it's not the fastest I've ever been, just a long, hard, steep section with no turns. I predicted on page one that all of the racer beaters would chime in with the blah blah speedsuits, blah blah 210 gs, blah super fancy wax. Just because sitting in your Dallas office you can't imagine skiing fast with your jeans tucked into the tops of your boots, doesn't mean it can't happen. Please leave the talk of fast skiing to those that can actually ski fast and have the real estate to do it. I think it upsets some of your delicate egos to know there are those that can ski at those speeds.

And yes, I'm going to run over all of your families and there will be severed body parts everywhere because I always ski out of control and without regard for others.
CLASSIC!!! Hilarious post. This thread comes up here every freaking year and it kills me. All the peeps who pontificate on speed, and whether or not it's possible to break some imaginary speed barrier of 60+ on regular skis, while some of us just go out and do it.

I always seem to end up repeating the same thing over and over (if I had the desire or inclination I'd go back and do a search to see how many times I've repeated it): Beginning and intermediate skiers tend to overestimate their speeds. Expert skiers often underestimate theirs.

We've seen it time and time again when we do the annual radar speed skiing day, which, by the way is coming up very soon. Stay tuned to www.powdermaggots.com to find out when. And, if some of you are interested we'd be more than happy to have you join us for some fun. You might even surprise yourself with how fast you're going.

Or not.
post #85 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
You mean this graph?



So we have a bunch of folks with data from separate measured trials with multiple devices saying it's (50-60mph) is (easily) do-able, and real physics equations saying it's do-able and a bunch of naysayers saying it's impossible. Humm????
Maybe if you dressed like this...

Fastest american woman at 148 MPH... and she's from the east coast. (Hunter Mtn)
http://www.quickchick.com/
post #86 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiRacer55 View Post
...if you want to go fast, stop the BS and get in a course. Every course I've ever been in has a known length...in which case, you can pretty much figure your average speed or there's somebody standing in the fast section with a radar gun, or both. I've been clocked at 74 m. p. h. Period. Not my opinion, that's what it was. I'm pretty comfortable going that speed, but you never start out going that fast in your non-stops...which are now mandatory for Super G, too.

I can also tell you that, after having raced probably 50 speed events over the last 15 years, 50 is quick, 60 is quicker, but the whole world changes exponentially when you get past 70. A bump you wouldn't notice at 50 suddenly kicks you 60 feet, and the world comes up at you a lot faster than you ever thought was possible. I have a good friend who I race with on the weekends and who drives Porsches on a track in the summer. According to him, most people think they can drive any speed, but the facts are that without a bunch of time getting used to really high speeds, at 130 m. p. h. and above, the average F1 wannabe is way beyond what he can handle. Same is true of speed on skis.

I have people running this number on me all the time: "Wow you ski race? That's really dangerous." Uh uh, Jack, what's really hazardous to your health is skiing with the public. Rocky Mountain Masters has some of the toughest speed events in the country, and we got through another year with no deaths and not many injuries, either. Not so fortunate was the skiing public in Colorado. Every year, X number of the skiing public kill themselves running into trees in Colorado. I think this year it was less than 10. Some years, it's in the double digits by January. Cause of the accident is invariably too much speed for the skier's ability.

So if you think you've been out cruising around at 60 plus on a blue run, you're either kidding yourself or you're stupid. I got center punched 5 years ago at Keystone by a snowboarder...but it could have just as easily been a skier, because they weren't doing anything smarter that day than this dude who turfed me...who, and this is the part I really like, as they were putting me on the sled, and I'm trying to figure out if I have some broken ribs or anything else besides a concussion and a broken collarbone, says "Gee...I don't know what happened. I was in perfect control!"

So there it is, as we used to say in Vietnam. At any speed over 60, perfect control is just an illusion. One of the things it took me less than a season to figure out is that if you're going to play with going fast on skis, you're going to eat it, probably sooner than later...and the only safe place to do that is in a course. I've won speed events, and I've also hit the fence...fortunately, only 4 times in 15 years, but every time, I was past 70, and I was sure I was doing just fine...until one nanosecond later I was taking a trip to McDonald's.

I walked away from all 4 with only minor injuries and two broken pairs of 212s, which I owe not to anything skillful on my part, but to luck. And also good course preparation, a TD who didn't just fall down with the last drop of rain, and copious amounts of fencing, padding, and so forth. Also useful was the fact that I was the only person at the scene of the crime; if there'd been anyone or anything else in my path...well, I wouldn't be ski racing any more, and I doubt I'd be walking very far, either, except maybe on crutches.

You want to play hardball? Fine, wear a cup, and keep out of everybody else's way until you know what you're doing.
Just wanted to qoute this because you're so awesome (as we used to say in Nam)
post #87 of 297
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiRacer55 View Post
So if you think you've been out cruising around at 60 plus on a blue run, you're either kidding yourself or you're stupid. I got center punched 5 years ago at Keystone by a snowboarder...but it could have just as easily been a skier, because they weren't doing anything smarter that day than this dude who turfed me...who, and this is the part I really like, as they were putting me on the sled, and I'm trying to figure out if I have some broken ribs or anything else besides a concussion and a broken collarbone, says "Gee...I don't know what happened. I was in perfect control!"
I NEVER said I was cruising around @ 60ph. I said that was just about the fastest we went, when tucking. I said we were cruising around at 35-45mph. This speed felt "normal" and was just about what the rest of the folks on the hill were doing. We weren't doing anything superhuman. And really, what's the difference in hitting a tree at 40mph vs 60mph? Not much...

So 2 Turn,

How long would it take to get to the marked spot on the graph????

My guess is 6-7 seconds....
525x525px-LL-vbattach1682.jpg
post #88 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-turn View Post
Maybe if you dressed like this...

Fastest american woman at 148 MPH... and she's from the east coast. (Hunter Mtn)
http://www.quickchick.com/
No one can ski that fast in the east...air's too thick...everyone knows that.
post #89 of 297
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-turn View Post
Maybe if you dressed like this...

Fastest american woman at 148 MPH... and she's from the east coast. (Hunter Mtn)
http://www.quickchick.com/

Or on a MTB...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3oJ_o_jrDw

Sorry it's in Japanese...
post #90 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-turn View Post
Maybe if you dressed like this...

Fastest american woman at 148 MPH... and she's from the east coast. (Hunter Mtn)
http://www.quickchick.com/

Hunter also has Kusumi Naga who has skied at over 150mph! : He is one of the pacesetters for NASTAR at Hunter......gee what is the liklihood that anyone will be beating his times
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion