New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Powder?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Just saw Belleayr's snow report. Claiming 12 inches of powder, with packed powder and powder moguls. First hand reports are of slush. other resorts do this as well. Come on. Rain, sleet, and heavy snow do not powder make. Why even try to hype it this late in the season.
post #2 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeski View Post
Just saw Belleayr's snow report. Claiming 12 inches of powder, with packed powder and powder moguls. First hand reports are of slush. other resorts do this as well. Come on. Rain, sleet, and heavy snow do not powder make. Why even try to hype it this late in the season.
Maybe because its true.

Yesterday Sunday 4/15 Belleayre had dry snow yes dry snow (not wet snow) and it was awesome. Was it JH/Alta dry fluffy snow absolutely not. Was it west coast cement absolutely not.

At 10:30am I had the only fresh new tracks down upper/lower Tongora in about 4 inches of new dry snow.
post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by catskills View Post
Maybe because its true.

Yesterday Sunday 4/15 Belleayre had dry snow yes dry snow (not wet snow) and it was awesome. Was it JH/Alta dry fluffy snow absolutely not. Was it west coast cement absolutely not.

At 10:30am I had the only fresh new tracks down upper/lower Tongora in about 4 inches of new dry snow.
I was going by what someone else wrote as I couldn't get off LI to get there. Did they really get 12" as reported. If so I feel a cold coming on for tommorow.
post #4 of 18
eyeski, skiing Sunday was awesome with fresh snow and very few customers to track it up. What happens tomorrow is the big question.
post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by catskills View Post
eyeski, skiing Sunday was awesome with fresh snow and very few customers to track it up. What happens tomorrow is the big question.
I hit it last Sunday when it was 4" dust on solid ice. Wasn't too enthused. But now I'm pissed I didn't go up Saterday night before all this hit. Another bad decision, especialy since my place is right up the mountain.
post #6 of 18
Catskills, do you work for Belleayre? Were you skiing at the same mountain as I was yesterday? It started pouring at about 2 pm. Before that, the snow was very wet. Admittedly, I got there late, at noon, so at best you had dry snow in the morning. But, to be honest, I find it very, very hard to believe. And there didn't seem to be anywhere near the 8" they were reporting by midday yesterday. If there is 12" up there now, it is the slushiest crap you could ever imagine.

PS I will agree with you, Catskills, that the skiing was really nice (other than the sleet pellets which were shredding my face and then the rain). The snow was soft and fast, but I just didn't find any dry snow anywhere on the mountain from noon onward.
post #7 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguljunkie View Post
Catskills, do you work for Belleayre? Were you skiing at the same mountain as I was yesterday? It started pouring at about 2 pm. Before that, the snow was very wet. Admittedly, I got there late, at noon, so at best you had dry snow in the morning. But, to be honest, I find it very, very hard to believe. And there didn't seem to be anywhere near the 8" they were reporting by midday yesterday. If there is 12" up there now, it is the slushiest crap you could ever imagine.

PS I will agree with you, Catskills, that the skiing was really nice (other than the sleet pellets which were shredding my face and then the rain). The snow was soft and fast, but I just didn't find any dry snow anywhere on the mountain from noon onward.
And now I feel better. Was getting conflicting reports.:
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguljunkie View Post
Catskills, do you work for Belleayre? Were you skiing at the same mountain as I was yesterday? It started pouring at about 2 pm. Before that, the snow was very wet. Admittedly, I got there late, at noon, so at best you had dry snow in the morning. But, to be honest, I find it very, very hard to believe. And there didn't seem to be anywhere near the 8" they were reporting by midday yesterday. If there is 12" up there now, it is the slushiest crap you could ever imagine.

PS I will agree with you, Catskills, that the skiing was really nice (other than the sleet pellets which were shredding my face and then the rain). The snow was soft and fast, but I just didn't find any dry snow anywhere on the mountain from noon onward.
I am a volunteer patroller at Belleayre. I truly felt the snow was on the dry side in the morning and excellent skiing. I agree the sleet pellets were painful in the afternoon. Even in the morning the snow was getting blown sideways with high winds. As for what is up there today on Monday it is difficult to say unless you are there on the Mountain. Fall and spring there is always a much wider temp difference between the Hudson Valley towns of Woodstock and Belleayre Mtn. I also live near Woodstock (West Hurley) where today we have been getting a lot of rain. Does that mean the snow is pure slush at Belleayre? Maybe but maybe not. One thing for sure, it was anything but slush mash potatoes on Sunday.

Give them a break, Belleayre is staying open for the enjoyment of their devoted customers. Be thankful they are still open.
post #9 of 18
Well, if the snow was dry in the morning, I'm sorry I didn't get my lazy butt up there sooner. Kudos for being a patroller up there. Hope I never need your services though.

It was pretty balmy down here today, so it's just hard to imagine that big a temperature difference up on the hill. But I'll be happy to be dead wrong if it turns out it's all powder.

As for cutting Belleayre some slack, not sure I can do that. Are they really doing it just for the skier? There's no money in it for the state, either in the short-term or, if they sell more season passes, long-term? Also, they've played pretty fast and loose with their snow measuring all season. Probably all the mountains around here do it, but I am so sick of it. All their competition is closed for the season. It would be so nice to see a nice, honest report from them for once. All that being said, Belleayre's still my favorite mountain in the Catskills.
post #10 of 18
Anyone think it's worth driving up to Belleayre from NYC for the $15 tickets this Friday? I'm strongly tempted to get one last day in but only if I can ski on something more snow than slush.
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguljunkie View Post
They've played pretty fast and loose with their snow measuring all season.
I remember in mid-January, the website had a YTD figure of 15 inches. Can't be much more honest than that.

The only time I noticed them being really off is this past weekend, when they predicted 30 inches and got a foot... but that storm ended up being a snow bust for practically everyone.
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdeluxe View Post
I remember in mid-January, the website had a YTD figure of 15 inches. Can't be much more honest than that.

The only time I noticed them being really off is this past weekend, when they predicted 30 inches and got a foot... but that storm ended up being a snow bust for practically everyone.
Well, you can't really lie about your totals when you're getting no snow, as was the case through January. I can live with a little exaggeration. I don't much care if there's 16" or only really a foot. But there's a big difference between 5" and a foot (they have, on more than one occasion, put on the front page of their website, where it says "New Snow," the amount forecasted and not what they actually got). It would also be nice if they mentioned whether it had rained up on the mountain. And also if they acknowledged that there was at least some "hardpack" or at least "frozen granular" rather than saying it's all packed powder after they get 2" of snow.

I still think Belleayre has better conditions by far than Hunter almost all the time. But I just want an accurate ski report. Is that really too much to ask for?
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschick View Post
Anyone think it's worth driving up to Belleayre from NYC for the $15 tickets this Friday? I'm strongly tempted to get one last day in but only if I can ski on something more snow than slush.
Last Sunday's snow was, according to skidbump, very heavy and sticky, since there was rain mixed in. By now, a lot of the mountain was probably groomed and would, I imagine, be in great shape. I'll be out there tomorrow and can report back. Maybe Catskills or skidbump were up there today and can comment.
post #14 of 18
I know Belleayre got about 16 inches of new snow. They had good snow coverage before the storm and they will have large amounts of snow on the trails through closing this Sunday April 22.

Weather report for Highmount, NY Friday, Saturday, and Sunday is warm and partly cloudy.

In other words expect AWESOME spring conditions.

Get there early in the morning. The best snow conditions should be around 9am to 1pm. Enjoy it while it lasts.
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguljunkie View Post
I'll be out there tomorrow and can report back.
The Tomahawk lift was down today. I just called and they said they're still waiting for a part and not sure if it'll be in by tomorrow.

I was planning to go up Thursday morning, but I'd rather wait until that lift is running.
post #16 of 18
Thread Starter 
If I wasn't going to K I would be there in a second. Very happy they stayed open and even if it is warm...thats what you want now! Thats when ALL the top runs are in great shape to hit, better than the icecapades you usualy get. I was there a few weeks ago when it was all corned up and it was great. Still one of the better places to paractice moguls, mainly because they have them on the blue runs, something Hunter does not.
post #17 of 18
Then I guess I'll be going up. Thanks for all the replies.
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdeluxe View Post
I was planning to go up Thursday morning, but I'd rather wait until that lift is running.
The Tomahawk is running!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion