So I snapped up some new PEs on SAC for a couple hundred bucks. Sweet! Then I checked out the graphics. Suck! So I followed Billy's example and painted 'em up to my unique liking. Had some trials along the way but it was fun and now they look....Sweet!
I got some 220 grit sand paper and roughed up the top sheets, cleaned 'em good with turpentine then put on about ten coats of black that I got from ArtPrimo.
Next I borrowed my wifes quilting stuff and cut some painter's tape into a bunch of thin strips. I tried using a carpenter's square and for this, the quilting stuff rules.
So I applied the first couple of strips of tape, decided to reposition them and....WTF.... the paint came right up... WTF?
Further experimentation revealed that, damn, the paint wasn't stuck to the ski all that well. Guess I better start from the beginning. Taking the paint off was the easiest stripping job I've ever done....... well ya know..... when I wasn't on a stage I mean.
So the 220 didn't get the job done. A quick search of my tool chest found one other choice; 40. Uh, yeah..... it did a number on the top sheets, that's for sure.
Well I really liked the idea of starting with black but I was running out of black paint and patients. Back to the tool chest... I found... farm implement yellow.
Made a cardboard template and got to work applying tape.
Here are the colors I decided to use and the beer label that inspired the choices (Bell's Oberon).
Next I splattered a layer of black.
Then taped off half of the diamonds. The Rolling Rock was just my beverage for the evening.... different kind of inspiration.
Half way done. I tried a technique of using little random triangle of paper to mask some of the paint. I moved 'em a bit after each layer. It didn't work like I wanted so I skipped it for the second batch.
Masked off the already painted diamonds then forgot to snap a pic before the first splattering.
I actually like the look of my "drop cloth" better than the skis themselves.
I epoxied a couple bottle caps to the tips and sprayed them with six coats of polyurethane.
All in all I think they look pretty cool but not quite what I had envisioned when I started. I wanted the diamonds with orange in them to be much more orange and much less..... poached salmon. Also, I think they would be much better if I would have started with black rather than yellow. There's always next year..... or next month.
Also of note is although the paint seems much more durable than it was (obviously) the first time around, I don't have much confidence that it will stand up very well to the beating I plan on giving them this winter. That's ok though, I think I'll hang 'em on the living room wall for a few months while they're pristine.