post #61 of 68
4/1/07 at 8:59pm
Forget out west.
Forget Outer Limits, Skidder and the other rectangle bump runs.
Think Goat, Bubble Cuffer, Castlerock, MRG, glades anywhere east -- after some snow, a freeze/thaw or two, maybe a tad of drizzle, some wind and another freeze/thaw (or was that thaw/freeze?)
Think east coast, tight-and-narrow, gnarly, bumped (but not in an orderly zipperline), hardpack mixed with ice, crud, some crust, and a touch of PP or Pow to keep you on your toes. Did I mention rocks? Mostly black pitch with maybe a tad of double-black pitch thrown in.
You want a ski that is quick, light, and nimble to negotiate these eastcoast adventure trails in less than optimum conditions.
You also have to get to and from these trails and you don't switch skis every run so you want something that works the rest of the mountain for at least 50% of your day.
Norcica HotRod -- 74mm waist, nice in what east-coast powder we get and even floats in crud. Softer than the R11 and bends a nice arc in a medium radius. Sluggish when you have to move really quick.
You are asking for a classic midfat. The Nordica HotRod Modified is a classic midfat and meets all the criterion you specified. If quickness is an issue, you might want to get something with a stiffer, more energetic tail, that will help with popping quick turns. If on the other hand you just want something light to throw around, a foam, graphite, or lighter wood core ski like a Solly 1080, fischer Bigstix 8.0 or K2 Enemy would be money. Just remember on ice tune is 70% of the skis performance and all other characteristics are the remaining 30%.
Just based on the fact that you are missing the obvious reality about your quiver and becuase you want something "really quick" it sounds like you are trying to talk your self into a SL based ski. First off this is not what you asked for in the OP. However they are good on anything 2-D and can work well in smooth rounded bumps if you use the ski school technique (turn shape) for skiing bumps. However they stink for a more dynamic combination approach using shape and A-E. They also stink in, "crud, some crust, and a touch of PP or Pow to keep you on your toes. Did I mention rocks?"
First of all, it would be closed. Second, if it's a crusty shell at all, the slalom carver gets incredibly hooky. If the ski is wider and straighter it's a little more predictable there. If we're talking three days of rain into a January sub-zero blast, let's be realistic, go find a trail the groomer has been on. If you duck that rope, the reaper is coming in behind ya.