or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Travel insurance for France?

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
As I finalize my trip to 3 Vallees in April, I'd like to pick up insurance for the unlikely event that something goes terribly wrong when I'm off-piste. Have you done anything like that? Any recommendations?

post #2 of 6
Someone else here posted insuremytrip.com and they have a pretty good set of offerings.

I looked it over, and seeing that LM and I were doing several out-of-country trips this calendar year, including skiing, I picked up a full-year multi-trip self-and-spouse coverage from them, with their skiing waiver, for $360. It's a policy they sell from Multinational Underwriters, the "Atlas Professional" policy name, "Multi-Trip Medical". I think it's also available for a single trip, but it was only maybe $100 more to cover all foreign trips for a full year.

It's a supplement to existing medical coverage, only valid out of country, and only valid if you have an active medical policy. But it has emergency evacuation, dental, on-trip medical coverage up front, plus some extras like some trip interruption and baggage coverage. Also, for US citizens only, there is a partial waiver of their pre-existing condition waiver. So a sudden onset of a previously-controlled condition or injury does get some coverage at a reduced level, instead of being excluded entirely. I take that to mean, for example, that if my shoulder dislocates again when it was otherwise healing up, they'd cover up to the lower limit.

There's a hazardous sports waiver that cost $60 to cover skiing (and other "risky" sports", but I think there's another level of it you need to buy if you're skiing outside the bounds of the ski area or "against the advice of the ski school" (again, think the government-established ski schools in France). You may need to call them to find out which level of waiver you want.

Insuremytrip offered up several companies' policies but this seemed the best available to US folks based on the extra coverage and the partial preexisting conditions coverage.

Hopefully won't need it when Lisamarie and I are lounging on the beach in Cabo next week for our anniversary. Is "too many margaritas" a pre-existing condition?
post #3 of 6
Somewhere I read there's an insurance you can buy right at the resort that covers on-mountain evacuation (such as by helicoptor, etc.). Might be worth asking your friends in France about that.

I think regular medical insurance covers any medical procedure, even if it's a result of accident. My insurance does cover me world wide. But I dont' think every insurance does. You need to check the fine print. If your does, you're pretty close to fully covered. If not, you'll need to purchase something solid.

Even if your medical insurance works world wide, you might still want to consider adding a regular travel insurance just to bridge whatever gap there still is. I think it usually cost around 10% of your trip cost. It covers trip interruption, luggage theft and such.
post #4 of 6
Thread Starter 
Thanks, at_nyc... One interesting challenge: parts of my trip are being paid with miles and points. Wonder how that works...

But, I found the Carte Neige, and it seems I should be able to get that at the resort. Thanks again for all your help. Other thoughts, folks?
post #5 of 6
Buy a Carte Neige at any ticket counter over there - includes coverage for rescue and evacuation in the French Alps. Not expensive, do a Google search.
post #6 of 6
Yes, definitely buy a carré neige (or a carte neige).
The Carré neige is a short term insurance that will cover all costs associated with a search and rescue operation and a medical evacuation. Some medical expenses are also covered, but to a small amount. It's not a medical insurance.
You can buy it with your pass. Just tell the cashier you want a pass "avec assurance". It will cost you around 2 or 2.5 E / day. No paperwork, your pass is the proof of your insurance.
Actualy, even if you had another insurance, I would recommend a Carré neige, as it is ubiquitous in France and can spare you long explanations in a foreign language while in a stretcher...heaven forbid.

The Carte neige has similar benefits, but is typicaly purchased for the season, by frequent skiers. It's frequently associated with a license from the French Ski Federation. The daily rate is cheaper, but you wont need it.

Now, I don't know if you're (officialy) going to France as an instructor or as an "amateur" : The Carré Neige does not cover you as a professional.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel