EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Unusual Weather Report Honesty
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Unusual Weather Report Honesty

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
I usually find weather reports from ski areas to be notoriously optimistic, or willfully oblique.

For example: Whister/Blackcomb's "Alpine Report" reads like a meteorological survey, studiously avoiding the "R-word".

In stark contrast, I just pulled the following info off the Mt. Baker website. You've gotta love the "direct" approach:

Yikes! The front came in this afternoon, it warmed up and it is raining nuts and bolts. No kidding, it is wet out. This is forecast to continue through part of tomorrow. However Sunday looks good with very low freezing levels, 2000 feet, and fresh snow in the morning. So stay tuned.

Tomorrow the skiing will be OK, wet spring snow, so bring your rain gear and you’ll be fine. Remember, there’s no such thing as bad weather, you either just have a bad attitude or inappropriate clothing.
post #2 of 29
you either just have a bad attitude or inappropriate clothing. It's better than working.:-)
post #3 of 29
Another ski area today advises its potential customers:

Quote:
Be sure to bring the rain gear because it is going to be a wet and wild day for the slopes!!!
post #4 of 29
Jay Peak: Some chairs and the tram will be on wind hold today but we expect it to clear up. .....We arrived to 80 mph winds and a frozen wasteland, 2 chairs running.
post #5 of 29
OUCH nasty . Yep unfortunately that's really typical area marketing hype especially this time of year HOW's that you say " fast rocks and slow grass, and nasty ass little ice clumps "
post #6 of 29
Captain you can also go here for actual weather reporting: http://www.nwac.us/mtnweather.htm It is all accurate and the site does have forecasts available.

Mark
post #7 of 29
It's supposed to start snowing tonight (Saturday) at Baker with snow levels lowering to 2000 ft. and NWAC predicts 2-3 inches of water equivalent to fall at Baker on Sunday. That's a buttload of new snow.
post #8 of 29
Mad River Glen in Vermont is famous for honest snow reports. I've seen them describe their conditions as "attrocious" and "virtually unskiable, but you're welcome to try". :
post #9 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinF View Post
Mad River Glen in Vermont is famous for honest snow reports. I've seen them describe their conditions as "attrocious" and "virtually unskiable, but you're welcome to try". :
That's rich!
post #10 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
It's supposed to start snowing tonight (Saturday) at Baker with snow levels lowering to 2000 ft. and NWAC predicts 2-3 inches of water equivalent to fall at Baker on Sunday. That's a buttload of new snow.
Wet or foggy, if it's fresh, I'll be there.

Posaune, are you headed up tomorrow? Should we pool?

Considering the dismal weather we've had over the past month, crowds should be nascent.

Thus, if we get the goods, it could one of the better pow days of the year. Finally, a chance to give my new fat boys a run.
post #11 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
Captain you can also go here for actual weather reporting: http://www.nwac.us/mtnweather.htm It is all accurate and the site does have forecasts available.

Mark
Thanks!

Thats a nice resource.
post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
It's supposed to start snowing tonight (Saturday) at Baker with snow levels lowering to 2000 ft. and NWAC predicts 2-3 inches of water equivalent to fall at Baker on Sunday. That's a buttload of new snow.
Ummmm how much is a buttload of Snow?
post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider View Post
Ummmm how much is a buttload of Snow?
A pantload.
post #14 of 29
If you go to www.weather.gov and drill down to the local page, there is a link for "forecast discussion" in the list on the lower right. It shows you the person behind the dry weather-speak.

The Jackson Hole forecast shows someone whose priorities are in the right place. Right now, near the end of the discussion it says "REGARDLESS... AM HOPING FOR DECENT PRECIPITATION TO FINALLY FALL ACROSS AREA." (emphasis added). A weatherman with his heart in the right place.
post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider View Post
Ummmm how much is a buttload of Snow?
Probably my buttload is a lot more than yours.
post #16 of 29
MRG this morning
Quote:
We have picked up 1-2" of wet snow overnight giving us yet another opportunity to ski some "powder". It's foggy morning that should turn warm with some sunny skies as the fog burns off. Come on up and enjoy some of our wacky spring skiing conditions.
post #17 of 29
Woke up Sunday to a report of 2" new at Baker. Left my avi gear at home -oooooomybad. Still, a deserted area at 0900 with the 2" grown to a foot or better of light-for-the-Cascades-in-late-March snow over yestersays slush. Good enough to leave dust in the air behind you.

And empty lifts.

Lapped sticky drops to Canyon for the first part of the morning, then moved to *censored* and kept lapping virtually untracked snow through lunch.

Weather wierded out, thoush with a fast cold front setting up the slush by late morning, followed by an extremely fast warming that brought things back to Spring in the afternoon.

The nice thing about Baker is you WILL learn to ski everything, because you may see it all in one day.
post #18 of 29
It was great to have some new snow. I was there too Harry. My "buttload" turned out to be 2". Oh well.
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
It was great to have some new snow. I was there too Harry. My "buttload" turned out to be 2". Oh well.
Yes, 2" on chair 5 and 8....but a whole lot more if you werre higher up and further out...
post #20 of 29
Thread Starter 
We saw a lot of people trekking up the ladder on Chair 8, and off the lift right on Chair 5. It looked tempting, but a lot of the terrain off of Chair 8 had slid. Hence, a bit dicey.

We saw two guys way off Chair 8 left, preparing to descend an area that appeared to have had several recent slides. They seemed nonplussed.

Weather was weird; a different climate system on each chair ride.

Skiing was wonderful - actual SUN on Mt. Baker.

I just love Baker when the hill's uncrowded like that.

We'll be up there a lot over the next 2 months - which may be the best season for PNW this year.
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Strato View Post
. We'll be up there a lot over the next 2 months - which may be the best season for PNW this year.
You were not skiing during November and December were you? It was epic day after epic day until January and then a bunch of great skiing in February too. And, yes, I got several days of sun in the Cascades.
post #22 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
You were not skiing during November and December were you? It was epic day after epic day until January and then a bunch of great skiing in February too. And, yes, I got several days of sun in the Cascades.
Nah, I missed those months. I broke my ankle on Nov. 3rd at Keystone. I started skiing again in January, but it was tentative.

Some friends had passes at Baker this year, and they were grumbling about the gloomy weather this year.

I suspect much had to do with the miserable conditions in March - no sun and lots of wet.

People tend to skew memories toward the most recent experience.

Still, I love spring. Next to fresh powder, it's my favorite part of the year.
post #23 of 29
MRG IS the best, I have seen them post..."Do not come up today. Do your errands..."
post #24 of 29
Nice to see you enjoying your time at Baker...sometimes you get a little negative about it.

November was the best month so far this season, but there has been good stuff to be had, along with some dry spells and gloom.

The Avi danger was not nearly as bad as it looked. Slow slides, not too deep. Really funky slush layer.
post #25 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Morgan View Post
Nice to see you enjoying your time at Baker...sometimes you get a little negative about it.

November was the best month so far this season, but there has been good stuff to be had, along with some dry spells and gloom.

The Avi danger was not nearly as bad as it looked. Slow slides, not too deep. Really funky slush layer.
It's true, Baker's not my first choice. I got spoiled living in Cottonwood Heights of Utah for a year; dry snow, 500 inches, and sparkling sunshine.

But, when Baker is what's here, be grateful. We could be in Iowa.

I think everyone gets used to what they have, and becomes proud of it, as they should. It's theirs (ours).

I actually like the slush layer. It's fun to smear in. And, when crowds are thin, and the sun's out - not too shabby.

Baker may throw a lot of challenges at you (weather, wet snow, winding terrain, flat light), but it makes you a better skier. If you can handle Baker, you can ski anything.
post #26 of 29
they lie in japan. (in case you care.)

english translation is roughly- "We received light snow and the sun is supposed to come out. mild winds."
=
Blizzard. go home if you're not a storm skier, (which most japanese are not.)

Japanese resorts are notorious for 'under' stating recent snow falls to not scare off the tourists. 2-3 cm means 20-30, in my experience. So if you ever venture off your bum and make it out here, don't get discouraged by the lame reports.
post #27 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai View Post
they lie in japan. (in case you care.)

english translation is roughly- "We received light snow and the sun is supposed to come out. mild winds."
=
Blizzard. go home if you're not a storm skier, (which most Japanese are not.)

Japanese resorts are notorious for 'under' stating recent snow falls to not scare off the tourists. 2-3 cm means 20-30, in my experience. So if you ever venture off your bum and make it out here, don't get discouraged by the lame reports.
That kind of lying I can live with.

It's amazing how the two cultures have opposite values regarding fresh snow.

Yet, our cultures find union in a common denominator: dubious snow and weather reports from ski resorts.

It's an encouraging sign of global harmony - something we can all share.
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Strato View Post
Baker may throw a lot of challenges at you (weather, wet snow, winding terrain, flat light), but it makes you a better skier. If you can handle Baker, you can ski anything.
I have to agree. Just look at Sunday - your choice of deep windpack, cornices, blowing graupel, weather breaks, slush, hard packed groomers, rails and tables, cliff drops, avalanches, gullies and untracked tree skiing - all in one day.
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Morgan View Post
Just look at Sunday - your choice of deep windpack, cornices, blowing graupel, weather breaks, slush, hard packed groomers, rails and tables, cliff drops, avalanches, gullies and untracked tree skiing - all in one day.
Seemed like a normal day at Baker to me. It's fun to have challenges. Those cornices that you can't see are really invigorating.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Unusual Weather Report Honesty