EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Slowly losing my mind over Nordica boot fitting
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Slowly losing my mind over Nordica boot fitting

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
: Well, I finally broke down, went to see one of the top boot fitters Vermont had to offer and decided on a pair of Nordica Hot Rod Nitrous boots.

Unfortunately, after the fitter made 3 attempts to grind out the problem, I still have some pretty serious pain in my right foot, just above the heel (actually, precisely between the ankle bone and the heel). The strange part for me is that I do not feel any specific pressure in the boot or pinch points and yet, 10 mins into my ski day, I have the pain.

The fitter has continued to try to grind out the boot where the problem is, but this has not solved the problem. As an aside, the boots fit tight as heck (as the fitter recommended) and to the point where it's very difficult to get the boots on and off if they're the slightest bit cold, but once on, everything feels fine except for the heel.

I am now at my wits end, with having skied in the boots some 4-5 times, so certainly broken in, but I'm running out of answers here....HELP!!

These are the boots I bought:

http://www.nordica.com/skiboots/sche...s=8&target=484
post #2 of 13
I purchased speed machine14's this yr after fighting a losing battle with my dalbellos for 2 seasons .I had skied them about 45 days so far but due to a back injury i stopped skiing for 7 days and ever since i have had a problem with left heel pain.The pain is from heel going to sleep and it feel like its rubbing.The heel isnt actually rubbing but it does get real uncomfortable.I unbuckle on lift to get heel out of pocket and it will feel fine for a while.I am to lazy to go back to shop ,spent way to much time at one all last yr and beginning of this yr.But if pain persist into next week i will return and have them try and grind out Achilles area to take pressure off.
post #3 of 13
I had pain and pinching on the side of my heel. I had the boots dremmeled and it really did provide much relief. I have flat feet and pronate badly. As a result, if my heel isn't stabilized, it collapses and rubs against the side of the boot's heel pocket.

I put a stock Super Feet foot bed($30) in the boot and the rubbing and pain went away. The Super Feet footbed has a deeper heel pocket that will not allow my heel to collapse as much . Something to ask your boot fitter about.
post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundturns View Post
I had pain and pinching on the side of my heel. I had the boots dremmeled and it really did provide much relief. I have flat feet and pronate badly. As a result, if my heel isn't stabilized, it collapses and rubs against the side of the boot's heel pocket.

I put a stock Super Feet foot bed($30) in the boot and the rubbing and pain went away. The Super Feet footbed has a deeper heel pocket that will not allow my heel to collapse as much . Something to ask your boot fitter about.
I will definitely ask, but unsure, based on how tight the fit currently is, whether or not Superfeet will fit my boot....thanks for the suggestion!
post #5 of 13
Paul... you may want to get an xray. This problem actually happened to me earlier this season. I race on the east coast and got new boots this season. the plug boot was much much tighter than my foot was used to and i got pain in the SAME exact spot. turns out, i had a micro stress fracture on my heel bone caused by the new boots (and one fall didnt help either). honestly. you could or could not have a stress fracture... but a simple xray (possibly MRI) which sdhoudl be covered by your insurance may save you some aggrivation. check it out
post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRacetiger View Post
Paul... you may want to get an xray. This problem actually happened to me earlier this season. I race on the east coast and got new boots this season. the plug boot was much much tighter than my foot was used to and i got pain in the SAME exact spot. turns out, i had a micro stress fracture on my heel bone caused by the new boots (and one fall didnt help either). honestly. you could or could not have a stress fracture... but a simple xray (possibly MRI) which sdhoudl be covered by your insurance may save you some aggrivation. check it out
Actually, after doing some research, does not sound too far fetched...external compression from the likes of a ski boot that's a bit too tight can cause retrocalcaneal bursitis...unsure if this is what I'm suffering from, but in light of the fact that I feel no other pinching of the heel within the boot, it potentially makes sense.

Now the real question is what best to do....a) go back to the fitter (for the 4th time) and hope that he gets it right, b) demand my money back after wearing the boot some 4 or 5 times or c) ask for a credit and buy another pair??...again, the boots are so tight (as he recommended) that if the boots are cold, they will not go on and each time pulling them off is a bit of a chore.
post #7 of 13
im impressed you did the research. good work! firstly... if it is a stress fracture on the posterior section of the calcaneous (back park nearest heel of boot), it will take a few weeks to go away. i work with college athletes as i am an exercise science major and we usually boot kids with stress fractures in feet. it does really sound like these boots are too tight. secondly these arent exactly a race boot. im not sure why he had you get a SUPER tight pair. granted i know you want snug, but theyres a HUGE difference from snug to too tight. i would highly doubt theyll just toss you another pair.... but hey, if they give you a credit. get a bigger size. alot of it also depends on foot structure.

ex) narrow feet fit better in Langes and Tecnica seems to have wider footbeds (for the MOST part). if you like the way the boot works, stick with the hot rod line.

lastly, in regards to it being stiff and very difficult to get on/off when cold... thats jhust they way theyre made now. i would recommend heat sticks and pre warm your boots before putting em on. if this is a HUGE problem for you.. im positive Tecnica makes a Hotform option in the Diablo line (i believe the Magma and Magnesium) have the hotform where they come with an aparatus that warms the liner and somewhat the shell while your driving to the mountain so you can heat them in your car. also, they have a AC adapter so you can plug into any outlet and warm them up during say lunchtime.

Personally... if your having this issue, and its really a big deal, id buy the tecnica's. ive raced on both lange and tecnica, skied recreationally on both as well, and the technicas just are overall more comfortable in my opinion. Theyre liners just seem to have a little more padding, even in the diablo line compared to other race lines. Good luck with the search, and if all else fails... i have a GREAT bootfitter in Holyoke Mass. Hes a master B.F. and half of our team, UMass and numerous other colleges go to him. hes a magician when it comes to boots.
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul horowitz View Post
: Well, I finally broke down, went to see one of the top boot fitters Vermont had to offer and decided on a pair of Nordica Hot Rod Nitrous boots.

Unfortunately, after the fitter made 3 attempts to grind out the problem, I still have some pretty serious pain in my right foot, just above the heel (actually, precisely between the ankle bone and the heel). The strange part for me is that I do not feel any specific pressure in the boot or pinch points and yet, 10 mins into my ski day, I have the pain.

The fitter has continued to try to grind out the boot where the problem is, but this has not solved the problem. As an aside, the boots fit tight as heck (as the fitter recommended) and to the point where it's very difficult to get the boots on and off if they're the slightest bit cold, but once on, everything feels fine except for the heel.

I am now at my wits end, with having skied in the boots some 4-5 times, so certainly broken in, but I'm running out of answers here....HELP!!

These are the boots I bought:

http://www.nordica.com/skiboots/sche...s=8&target=484
Paul - I too own the Hot Rod Nitrious and have a pain in my right heel. I am not sure if it is the same thing. I have a large bump developing on the rear of my foot, maybe an inch or some above the bottom of my heel and an inch below my ankle bone (but on the back not side of my foot). I have narrow heels and put some heel holds in them. That seemed to help and I had only minor pain during 4 straight days of skiing last week.

My sister-in-law does prosthetic and orthotic engineering and she called it a "pump bump." I guess that is the slang because it looks like the pump on the old reebok pump sneakers. Is this what your's looks like?

Now for me, I thought my pain was because of a looser fit and snugging it up seemed to help. However, my sister-in-law said people get my injury from wearing tight things. Who knows . . . And who knows if our injuries are the same. But one thing is certain, Nordicas have a very small heel pocket. Perfect for me, but not good for everybody. Maybe the Nordica heel is just too tight for you no matter what grind is done. Tecnicas will be much roomier back there.

Other than then the noodly flex on warm days, the Hot Rod has been a great boot for me though!

As for getting them on and off. That is the way it goes with these boots. They are essentially a Dobermann with softer plastic. Yet clear plastic that is very hot/cold sensitive, so when it is cold look out, they aren't coming off easily!
post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kestner9 View Post
Paul - I too own the Hot Rod Nitrious and have a pain in my right heel. I am not sure if it is the same thing. I have a large bump developing on the rear of my foot, maybe an inch or some above the bottom of my heel and an inch below my ankle bone (but on the back not side of my foot). I have narrow heels and put some heel holds in them. That seemed to help and I had only minor pain during 4 straight days of skiing last week.

My sister-in-law does prosthetic and orthotic engineering and she called it a "pump bump." I guess that is the slang because it looks like the pump on the old reebok pump sneakers. Is this what your's looks like?

Now for me, I thought my pain was because of a looser fit and snugging it up seemed to help. However, my sister-in-law said people get my injury from wearing tight things. Who knows . . . And who knows if our injuries are the same. But one thing is certain, Nordicas have a very small heel pocket. Perfect for me, but not good for everybody. Maybe the Nordica heel is just too tight for you no matter what grind is done. Tecnicas will be much roomier back there.

Other than then the noodly flex on warm days, the Hot Rod has been a great boot for me though!

As for getting them on and off. That is the way it goes with these boots. They are essentially a Dobermann with softer plastic. Yet clear plastic that is very hot/cold sensitive, so when it is cold look out, they aren't coming off easily!
Thanks for the response...no bumps as of yet. I have now reached out to tech support from Nordica to see if they can help resolve, but these things are tough to remedy via the internet...next stop, back to the fitter this wkend!
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul horowitz View Post
Thanks for the response...no bumps as of yet. I have now reached out to tech support from Nordica to see if they can help resolve, but these things are tough to remedy via the internet...next stop, back to the fitter this wkend!
Well, that is good news. If it is just pain caused by the boot then at least perhaps you don't have a potential foot injury.

It is entirely possible that you just aren't a good "fit" from Nordicas. They have very narrow heals as I said above, so maybe it is your bootfitters fault for putting you in a Nordica, but not his fault for not being able to grind out the problem. Good luck!
post #11 of 13
You have only been back 4 times, Your know where near done yet. Boot fitting is a slow art. You can't make big changes. It needs to be done slowly.

Do you have custom foot beds?

I tend to buy my boot's in late Feb. I ski every weekend. It will take until Dec of the next season to get the boot to fit great.

Going back 3 or 4 times is nothing.
post #12 of 13
Paul...Any chanced you have large calves? Also, as mentioned earlier, do you have any type of custom footbed? Any range of motion problems..ie limited dorsilflexion at ankle joint? (ever been tested)
post #13 of 13
Have you always had issues like this when buying boots?It shouldn't be such hard work to get your boots to fit properly. It sounds like you were put into a boot that is not cut right for your feet. I would ask for a different boot from another company.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Slowly losing my mind over Nordica boot fitting