or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Conditions in Steamboat after Week of Higher Temps?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Conditions in Steamboat after Week of Higher Temps?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
The family has a spring break trip planned for Steamboat March 10-17. Looks like we're going to arrive a couple of weeks too late. In watching the weather, we were excited to see all the new snow recently, but the current 10 day forecast shows the high temps for every day in the low 40's and lows in the upper teens to lower 20's. Sun, clouds and even rain are forecast for the upcoming week.

Mid base is reported at 85" now. How will next week's weather affect the snow? We typically stick to February ski trips and have taken only one other trip in March to ski (Killington) and conditions were horrific (slush, puddles of water, basically the mountain melting around us). Living in Texas, spring conditions to us means it's time to turn on the air conditioning. Can someone give me an idea of what one week of warmer temps will look like on the mountain?

I had not found Tony Crocker's invaluable information on Family Ski Trips and his ratings of each ski area for Christmas and Spring Breaks until after everything was booked. I suppose I will make a more informed decision ext time around.

post #2 of 10
I jsut talked to Finndog who has a place there, he said ignore theweatherchannel they are never right when it comes to Steamboat. It should be fine. I will report in mid week too.
post #3 of 10
Ahh, Springtime bumps on Whiteout.

It doesn't get any better.

Look at it this way. If it's Spring conditions, you can sleep in and there's no rush to get to the mountain as it would be on a powder day. Get there late, ski late. Give the frozen cord time to soften up.

Planning ski trips is always a crap shoot. That's why you gotta do three trips a year at least. Historically, March is Colorado's biggest snow month. You'll have fun don't worry about it.
post #4 of 10
Originally Posted by Lars View Post
That's why you gotta do three trips a year at least.

Lars, I'll use that quote on my wife! I knew there was a good reason for multiple trips!
post #5 of 10
I was there few years ago in March when they had aprrox 17 days of high temps and no snow. Snow was great from 11 am to 2 pm and until 4 pm on some trails. Early am was too icy for me. March is typically a big snow month and I have had great powder days in early April at the boat. I'm planning a trip in end of March and have no worries about the snow conditions. Enjoy.

www.snowforecast.com and www.snow-forecast.com
post #6 of 10
No guarentees but that forecast is not so accurate. Steamboat has a few microclimates and the temps on one side of the range can be very different from over on the mountain. http://avalanche.state.co.us/Forecasts/Steamboat/

Here is a site that I have told is more accurate. I doubt it's going to stay that warm for the whole week. Look at the highs for tomorrow and the forecast for Saturday night. I doubt that the temps are going to start off at below zero and get to the 40's that quickly. Will the pow stay light and dry? I doubt it but with over 5' this week PLUS 11" last night and more this weekend I can't imagine that you are going to have a massive melt-off or a huge slush-fest. The trees are still going to hold well with that much pow. It may get a bit sticky but its so deep right now. Go have a blast and I will be cheering you on!

FYI- at 11:35 Am, its 4 degrees..... The forecast was for a high of 18.
post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Thanks Finndog. This sets my mind at ease. I've already seen where the Weather Channel has been way off in the past couple of days.
post #8 of 10
I was just going to ask this same question. Worries me that it is going to be in the mid 40's the whole time I am there. I will be there from 3/7 to 3/11....I am also kicking myself for not making it a week earlier but Oh well I guess it is luck of the draw....what ever the conditions, it's better than the skiing here in Florida.
post #9 of 10
Keep in mind, if it's 40 in town, it's only 30 on the Mountain. Besides, worrying about something you have no control over isn't going to do you any good.

You're going to have a great time reguardless.
post #10 of 10
Skied today. Soft but good. Just follow the sun. The woods were too heavy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Conditions in Steamboat after Week of Higher Temps?