New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tahoe Gathering Roll Call - Page 4

post #91 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider View Post
The easiest route is California 88. Just head to Jackson, CA on SR4 East to the Antioch bridge SR 160 N, then East on Rt 12. It intersects with SR 88 near Lockeford. Be sure to go Left toward Jackson at the light past Clements. Stay on 88 all the way in to Kirkwood. I'd tell you about the Ridge road cutoff but its not that important early in the day. Your mileage is about 155 miles. Count on mainly dry roads. The Highway Patrol makes good money in Amador County.
Thanks CR.

Yes, will be taking it easy. CHP has made enough money out of me already this year
post #92 of 111
Thread Starter 
I heard from Skifex (nicola) tonight and unfortunately she is having just too good of a time at Squaw, so we'll miss her this tirp. Truthfully, her trip involves some business for her skis, and Squaw is apparently a target rich zone.

Look forward to seeing everyone tomorrow at Kirkwood. I guess we'll figure this out so everyone has a chance to get together. I'll be in a Black Nissan Murano parked near Chair 6, and we'll be tailgating between runs. If you get lost, just meet there at noon.
post #93 of 111
Well it looks like the weather may poop on Sunday's festivities. They're now calling for light precip w/ a snow level over 7k (probably more like 8k). I may put myself on the fence for Alpine...we'll see how much fun I have skiing w/ you peeps on Saturday


Big snow Monday/Tuesday
post #94 of 111
Thread Starter 
Day one at Kirkwood was "Epic". Over a dozen bears and ripping bearettes attended this sunny spring event. A trip report will happen, but a very fun day with great skiing, BBQ tri tip, superior beer and single malt Irish whiskey. This community is better in person.

I'm tired. Later!

PS to XEastcoaster...quit proving that Californians are pansy's. The east coast crowd represented, and 2-turns and his wife even did the main chute above sisters. I was impressed.
post #95 of 111
Glad you had fun today...I should have bagged work and came down.

So what are you insinuating with that comment cirque...that I need to go easy on you guys tomorrow?? How about you crazy big mountain California ski studs go easy on us East Coast hackers


So where/when is the hookup manana??

Does 9:00 by the ski racks in front of the cable car entrance work?? (no big rush to get out there as it'll probably be frozen until 11:00 or so)

If for some reason we don't end up with a hookup spot look for me and the wife. Me: green krypton pros, probably my 10:EXs or big red nordicas (9.1ff), grey pants, black giro 10mx, perhaps a festive top (depends on the temp). wife: blue krypton storms, probably public enemies to start, cream pants w/ maroon zippers, blue giro 10mx
post #96 of 111
Thread Starter 
Actually, I was noticing the East Coasters were setting the pace yesterday

I hope the rain forecast is wrong and that we see some big snow later in the week. The spring conditions really sweeten up after a bit of a thaw, but rain wouldn't make for good quality deck time. It would be great if you are up there. The group has been big enough to spot and you're right about things being frozen in the morning. I'll try to roll in about 9:00. use radio channel 11-7
post #97 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider View Post
Actually, I was noticing the East Coasters were setting the pace yesterday

I hope the rain forecast is wrong and that we see some big snow later in the week. The spring conditions really sweeten up after a bit of a thaw, but rain wouldn't make for good quality deck time. It would be great if you are up there. The group has been big enough to spot and you're right about things being frozen in the morning. I'll try to roll in about 9:00. use radio channel 11-7
Tom, any lunch plans for today? By the pool? In the lot? Cheryl is taking the day off from skiing but will "shop" like a bear!
post #98 of 111
Thread Starter 
We made up some specialty teriaki burgers last night and will have the grill ready. Side dishes and condiments?

I'm out the door right now.
post #99 of 111
Is there are meeting spot for Sun at Alpine Meadows?

I'll be up in the Kids' zone until about 8:50. Otherwise, look for black Mantras w/ Alta & Snowbird stickers. Those black Mantra will probably be next to a pair of Aura.
post #100 of 111
Thread Starter 
hi stormday, we'll be on the deck from about 9am.
I'm currently on the balcony of my room (it's WTFH here) with Cirquerider and mkevenson. Just had a great bbq, a couple of glasses of wine, and a whiskey or three.
Excellent day today at Squaw. Great snow, great sunshine, and a drink or two afterwards...

See you tomorrow!
post #101 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider View Post
Day one at Kirkwood was "Epic". Over a dozen bears and ripping bearettes attended this sunny spring event. A trip report will happen, but a very fun day with great skiing, BBQ tri tip, superior beer and single malt Irish whiskey. This community is better in person.

I'm tired. Later!

PS to XEastcoaster...quit proving that Californians are pansy's. The east coast crowd represented, and 2-turns and his wife even did the main chute above sisters. I was impressed.
I did get a picture of looking down the sister chute we skied but have no idea how to insert it without a url. we traversed above the Wall, then walked on loose rock behind a cliff band and got to the chute. it was about 15 feet of 50 degree rock and ice. we climbed down to the snow line, put on our skis and skied about 30 feet down a 50 degree narrow chute to where it opened up to a beautiful 35 degree snowfield. After the snowfield, we hit this avalanche alley, that had sweet soft slabby packed powder on one side, and frozen on the other. We stayed on the soft snow side.
Jeannie was happy that she finally got that adrenaline rush.
post #102 of 111
MTT, CR and others....

good to see ya and meet some of you for the first time. always interesting to put a face to an internet "handle". sorry i couldn't head out for some turns, but hopefully another time. definitely a nice day just to be out and soaking up some Sierra corn!

-chili
post #103 of 111
Friday was indeed the day of the three, in terms of turn-out, tail gate action and all around connections, mostly due to the proximity to the lifts from the parking lot. Squaw was a great day, but also due to the size of the place a little more hectic to keep all the cats herded. Sunday I believe only the "hardcore" were still in action.



It was good meeting the lot of you and skiing with a few of you (Cirque and Scotskier on Friday, Cirque, X-East Coaster and the Mrs. on Sat). If I didn't ski with you it wasn't personal, we just seemed to naturally break off into smaller groups after a few introductory runs together. I just sort of kept skiing with whomever seemed to be headed toward the terrain I was headed toward.

Sorry I sort of bailed on Sunday. I managed to drag my old college chum and his partner out and I just figured that since Alpine is rather small we'd bump into you guys sooner or later. I shoulda called Cirque in the morning, but we started riding some sweet spring bowl action off of the Saddle and had a run all to ourselves that I kind of forgot about anything other than making some sweet arching turns in semi-fresh untracked leftovers.

At any rate, I still have a 12er of beer that WTFH unloaded on me on Friday, so I'll make sure to lug it along to the next Tahoe shindig!

Oh yeah, thanks to all of you who purchesed KW tix from me! You totally saved me from eating 8 tickets for which I am eternally grateful.

I still have 1 KW ticket left, plus i bought the Alpine Meadows spring pass, so I'll be up a few more times if any of the locals wanna re-connect.
post #104 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormDay View Post
BTW: current rumor is that Alpine Meadows is planning on closing April 15th.
this is the same rumor i heard which is ridiculous. i am off the FL on the 14th... and we know what happens in Tahoe when i head to warmer climates during ski season
post #105 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
Friday was indeed the day of the three, in terms of turn-out, tail gate action and all around connections, mostly due to the proximity to the lifts from the parking lot. Squaw was a great day, but also due to the size of the place a little more hectic to keep all the cats herded. Sunday I believe only the "hardcore" were still in action.
You can call us hardcore, since Sunday was our hardest ski day of the week at Heavenly. Started on the Nevada side, which sucked (frozen),but then we got to Mott Canyon at 10:30 opening and did laps on Milky way bowl (sweet unbumped corn though the trees) to Mott Canyon (nice steep chutes and spring conditions). We left there around 2:00 cause we needed lunch, wolfed down lunch, did another Mott, then Dipper was top to bottom sweet bumps, and finshed the day with 2 runs down Gunbarrel, which finished me.

Quote:
It was good meeting the lot of you and skiing with a few of you (Cirque and Scotskier on Friday, Cirque, X-East Coaster and the Mrs. on Sat). If I didn't ski with you it wasn't personal, we just seemed to naturally break off into smaller groups after a few introductory runs together. I just sort of kept skiing with whomever seemed to be headed toward the terrain I was headed toward.
Yeah, same happened to us on Saturday at Squaw. After a late start, we looked for you guys on Shirley Lake, didn't find you and found some great stuff on Granite Chief and kinda forgot everything else. We ended the day on KT-22 where 75 chute and the west side of KT was skiing sweeeet.
It was great meeting you all on Friday, and we'll have to do it again.
I didn't forget about Mount Washington, Dookie, we'll talk about it some more as the date (5-5-2007) gets closer.
post #106 of 111
April 15th?

The rumor I was hearing was April 21st for an AM close.

Oh well. Guess I'm skiing Alpine this Saturday AND Sunday.



Hey Cirque! I wouldn't mind seeing that picture of me in that gully @ Squaw you took when you and X-EC were waiting for me to catch up (I think you snapped me hacking the hardpack back there off the Shirley lift).
post #107 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider View Post
I heard from Skifex (nicola) tonight and unfortunately she is having just too good of a time at Squaw, so we'll miss her this tirp. Truthfully, her trip involves some business for her skis, and Squaw is apparently a target rich zone.
so sorry i missed you at squaw by just one day.


we left some skis to test for those who are interested with tamara mc kinnley, you can contact her via http://www.pinnaclerealestate.com/agents.htm
post #108 of 111
Looks like everyone had a blast! Did you vote on where to have next year's Gathering?
post #109 of 111
yes we did. It was unanimous that we go back to Utah again-LCC.
post #110 of 111
Ah! That could be fun! When will it be?
post #111 of 111
UPDATE! This just in from Uncle Louie who's phoning in it from I-70 in Topeka, Kansas: we're in!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home