New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

When NOT to go to Whistler?

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
Hi there, I am looking into going to Whistler in the next few weeks. Can someone please tell me which dates are particulalry busy, eg school holidays and such.

Snow conditons seem to be very good right now....

Cheers.
post #2 of 24
Get there right now. The snow is fabulous and coming down in huge amounts. We had a month of crap and now it's back to wonderfulness. Don't wait around.
post #3 of 24
We're in a nice, cool & snowy weather pattern right now, but don't come until next week as it's insanely busy due to the US holiday week. I had to wait in a 20-minute lift line this morning for the first time ever!
post #4 of 24

one more thing...

I wouldn't recommend skiing in Whistler during the months of August, September or October. Any other month is just fine!
post #5 of 24
GO NOW! I am so jealous...I absolutely love that place.
post #6 of 24
Quote:
Get there right now. The snow is fabulous and coming down in huge amounts. We had a month of crap and now it's back to wonderfulness. Don't wait around.
Darn! If I could only afford the flight and hotel fare otherwise I can ski for free there. I will be in Seattle next week on business but can't get away.
post #7 of 24
Does anyone know how crowded Whistler gets over the BC school break from March 19-23? I'm flying out there for that week and I didn't realize this until yesterday. Thanks.
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
Get there right now. The snow is fabulous and coming down in huge amounts. We had a month of crap and now it's back to wonderfulness. Don't wait around.
Crap it was - and we hit the apex of it. We were there from Feb 12 to 18, and caught the worst storm weather (30 to 40 mph wind, spare snow and icy, hard boilerplate) in 2 years, according to a local ski instructor. A pro-patroller told us serious accidents were abundant, with several helicopter evacs per day. Snowboarders were having the worst of it - tough to hold an edge.

A local ski shop manager went to Whistler yesterday and said conditions were fabulous.

The mid-winter break will jam the lifts a bit. But, if you can avoid the conditions we encountered, you're a winner.

Still, the worst day skiing is still better than work. It's a lottery.
post #9 of 24
We were there last week also, and the only real horrible day was Thursday the 15th when the wind closed the peak. Even then you could find your spots, but had to be satisfied with repetition. All the other days had things to recommend them, nobody on the mountain on Wednesday, groomers for Fresh Tracks with a bunch of new snow after that. Stayed up in the bowls on Mon, Tuesday and Friday without too many problems. Peak to Creek for fun to end the day on Wednesday and can say I went through 5 different snow conditions on 1 run for the first time in my life.
post #10 of 24

The skiing was still fun

The skiing was still fun even though the weather was variable. Thursday I went up the Glacier chair right before it closed due to wind. On the way up Spanky's Ladder the wind was gusting high enough that one gust flipped my skis off my shoulder (at which point I hit the deck to ride out the gust). It was fun skiing though once you got 20 feet down off the ridge. I asked patrol later that day and they told me the wind was up to 108 km/h when they closed the chair.
post #11 of 24

Another Storm Coming In!

Check the weather reports--another large Pacific storm is headed for Whistler this weekend with snow of 10-20cms predicted. Yeah! I am headed up there in a week:
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex C View Post
Does anyone know how crowded Whistler gets over the BC school break from March 19-23? I'm flying out there for that week and I didn't realize this until yesterday. Thanks.
If possible avoid this week, you might also want to check when Seattle schools are out for Spring Break (or whatever it is called these days).

I usually take a week after Easter, good snow and far fewer people.

As a side note, yesterday (Friday) was excellent and another front is arriving today.
post #13 of 24
Nobody should ever go to Whistler .
Its a horrible place with lousy terrain, poor snow, inflated prices , and long lift lines.
Those of us who live close by only ski there because its convenient but NONE of the rest of you should put up with the aggravation . Especially from about the beginning of December, thru to the end of April.
And if by some fluke you've had a pleasant experience, please don't tell anybody.
post #14 of 24
And don't forget that it rains to the top every single day of the ski season!
post #15 of 24
You guys are funny! I have plane tickets to W/BC via Seattle for 4/7-4/12 and I am holding off on hotel rsesies until late in March so I can see what the weather patterns are looking like. I would hate to travel 3000+ miles and not have at least very good conditions. With this strange winter the NE may actually be a better (and cheaper) choice by then. We shall see...only time will tell.
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by gores95 View Post
You guys are funny! I have plane tickets to W/BC via Seattle for 4/7-4/12 and I am holding off on hotel rsesies until late in March so I can see what the weather patterns are looking like. I would hate to travel 3000+ miles and not have at least very good conditions. With this strange winter the NE may actually be a better (and cheaper) choice by then. We shall see...only time will tell.
You needn't worry.

By that time, Whistler's weather is almost like Colorado - lots of sun. Spring, IMO, is the best time to ski Whistler. You won't get the huge dumps, but you get "hero" snow, corn (if you time your day right), and blue-bird days with sun.

I once lived at Whistler for 3 years. Mid-winter can be epic - but the weather is coastal, with a lot of grey days. Fog and rain come and go, and wind is sometimes an issue. But, it's a fair price for tons of snow and the best terrain on earth. Even in the worst weather (like we had) it can be a hoot.

In spring, the terrain is still awesome, the snowpack is huge and the sun shines. I'll see you there.
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Strato View Post
You needn't worry.

By that time, Whistler's weather is almost like Colorado - lots of sun. Spring, IMO, is the best time to ski Whistler. You won't get the huge dumps, but you get "hero" snow, corn (if you time your day right), and blue-bird days with sun.

I once lived at Whistler for 3 years. Mid-winter can be epic - but the weather is coastal, with a lot of grey days. Fog and rain come and go, and wind is sometimes an issue. But, it's a fair price for tons of snow and the best terrain on earth. Even in the worst weather (like we had) it can be a hoot.

In spring, the terrain is still awesome, the snowpack is huge and the sun shines. I'll see you there.
Ditto. But most years, you'll find powder in the high alpine until late April (unlike the East).
post #18 of 24
Hey Whistler guys. Thinking of staying over at First Tracks at Creekside base that time of year (4/7-4/12). With all the great snow this year do we have a shot of actually skiing down to the base or will we have to take the Gondola down? How is it usually then?

Thanks.
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by gores95 View Post
Hey Whistler guys. Thinking of staying over at First Tracks at Creekside base that time of year (4/7-4/12). With all the great snow this year do we have a shot of actually skiing down to the base or will we have to take the Gondola down? How is it usually then?

Thanks.
Gores: Your chances are good. This has been a good snow year for Whistler (almost 400 inches so far). Sun, and peak to valley runs are what make Whistler magical at a time when most resorts have closed.

Plus, the social scene in April is relaxed and buoyant.
post #20 of 24
the way the base is accumulating even at village/creekside there should be decent ski out well into april. I skied knee pow in april of last year. unless "global warming" intensifies exponentially in the next month or so the spring skiing this year should be epic!! if you'd like a taste of the "real goods" drop me a pm
post #21 of 24
My experience has been that it may be possible by that time, you're usually swimming in the snow by the bottom.
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by gores95 View Post
Hey Whistler guys. Thinking of staying over at First Tracks at Creekside base that time of year (4/7-4/12). With all the great snow this year do we have a shot of actually skiing down to the base or will we have to take the Gondola down? How is it usually then?

Thanks.
Quite honestly, they don't put as much effort into keeping the Creekside open until that time of year, but this year is looking promising. If you'd like a guaranteed ski-out with a more solid base, book a place on the slopes of Blackcomb, or in Whistler Village.
If it's a very quiet surrounding you're looking for, then Creekside is the ticket. It's also nice to be able to stagger back from apres at Dusty's next door!
When you get here, be sure to drop by the Coast Range Heliskiing office (next to Citta's) in the village and we could do a few morning turns.
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaviaman View Post
If possible avoid this week, you might also want to check when Seattle schools are out for Spring Break (or whatever it is called these days).

Unfortunately thats the only week my friend and I could get off work at the same time. Ah well. I'm generally pretty good at avoiding lineups, but any tips to avoid the crowds would be appreciated.
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex C View Post
Unfortunately thats the only week my friend and I could get off work at the same time. Ah well. I'm generally pretty good at avoiding lineups, but any tips to avoid the crowds would be appreciated.
Peak chair on Whistler is usually light on traffic.

Might also want to try the new Symphony chair, and Harmony.

Avoid: Excelerator, Solar Coaster and 7th Heaven on Blackcomb.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel