EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Crossfire owners Beware :D
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Crossfire owners Beware :D

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
If you ride K2's Crossfires, you won't want to demo the 07-08 update (only real change in the Apache line for next season) unless you're ready to buy.

I made half a dozen runs on the new version yesterday and that ski is going to be a big seller anywhere the main terrain surface is firm.

They've given it a full sidewall, extended the damper structure a bit and come up with a ski that has better bite and tolerates cut up stuff like the Recon. It's two millimeters wider throughout the length, so the sidecut is the same. The sidewall stiffens it a bit, but whatever they did to the modtronic feature keeps it smooth.

I didn't want to give 'em back.
post #2 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson View Post
If you ride K2's Crossfires, you won't want to demo the 07-08 update (only real change in the Apache line for next season) unless you're ready to buy.

I made half a dozen runs on the new version yesterday and that ski is going to be a big seller anywhere the main terrain surface is firm.

They've given it a full sidewall, extended the damper structure a bit and come up with a ski that has better bite and tolerates cut up stuff like the Recon. It's two millimeters wider throughout the length, so the sidecut is the same. The sidewall stiffens it a bit, but whatever they did to the modtronic feature keeps it smooth.

I didn't want to give 'em back.
I have skied it as well, and agree with everything you have said. Very sick ski and a helluva lot of fun. Personally the entire K2 line up skied very well, and the improvements have shown on the hill and in my store sales (K2 is my number 1 selling brand this season, which considering my wall is lined with Atomic, Rossi, Salomon, Line, and Head, is/was an amazing change in my business),
post #3 of 17

What are you guys working for k2?

Hey there, I got it - you guys are on the K2's payroll. I mean "please". How much is K2 paying you for this? Head Supershape, Atomic SX, are way better then any K2 crap made in China.

Rossignol Z9 is hands down better. Come On...
post #4 of 17
I have never fell in love with a ski..lust yes, love no.
post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypeak View Post
Hey there, I got it - you guys are on the K2's payroll. I mean "please". How much is K2 paying you for this? Head Supershape, Atomic SX, are way better then any K2 crap made in China.

Rossignol Z9 is hands down better. Come On...

I don't believe I said anything about the new Crossfire's rank compared to any other brands. I said it outperforms the original Crossfire, and that if a skier likes the original, he'll love the new version. Have you skied either?
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypeak View Post
Hey there, I got it - you guys are on the K2's payroll. I mean "please". How much is K2 paying you for this? Head Supershape, Atomic SX, are way better then any K2 crap made in China.

Rossignol Z9 is hands down better. Come On...
LOL! I have had more warranty returns from Atomic this year than I have had from the China Crap. And by saying those model of skis are better, I am just curious if you have ridden any of the 07/08 K2 products, or is this just your biased views?
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson View Post
I don't believe I said anything about the new Crossfire's rank compared to any other brands. I said it outperforms the original Crossfire, and that if a skier likes the original, he'll love the new version. Have you skied either?
IMO......Absolutely correct. I just did about 50 skis in three days and among the biggest improvements, the Crossfire is right there. Is it the best hard snow ski out there?....no it isn't. But it IS the best K2 that I have been on lately and possibly the best K2 I've ever been on.

SJ
post #8 of 17

Chinese K2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty_C View Post
LOL! I have had more warranty returns from Atomic this year than I have had from the China Crap. And by saying those model of skis are better, I am just curious if you have ridden any of the 07/08 K2 products, or is this just your biased views?
Yes I have ridden new Crossfire - nothing special - it was a lousy ski and still is. Now Rossignol Z9 - far better ski, so is atomic sx 10 b5, b2...etc...

So I have tried Crossfire and I'm biased. Skis made by european dudes who roam free and drink beer will always be better then skis build by slave labor in China.

Here is where I have problem with k2 - they make a lousy skis in China with the costs one tenth of those made in Europe or US (actually because of this no one makes skis in US anymore). K2 skis should not sell more then $200 - $400. Having gorged on huge profits generated by slave Chinese labor they go our and buy another company (LINE skis) and convert them to slave labor too.
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypeak View Post
So I have tried Crossfire and I'm biased. Skis made by european dudes who roam free and drink beer will always be better then skis build by slave labor in China.

Here is where I have problem with k2 - they make a lousy skis in China with the costs one tenth of those made in Europe or US (actually because of this no one makes skis in US anymore). K2 skis should not sell more then $200 - $400. Having gorged on huge profits generated by slave Chinese labor they go our and buy another company (LINE skis) and convert them to slave labor too.
Wow. Reading that as a guy with no dog in this fight, that sounds way more like a political statement than an objective review...
post #10 of 17
So, Jaypeak...how do you feel about Volkl???
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post
So, Jaypeak...how do you feel about Volkl???
.................................................t hat's good

SJ
post #12 of 17

Same two opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post
So, Jaypeak...how do you feel about Volkl???
Opinion about the skis. Volkls are great skis, they earned their reputation. Yes they do make great product. Yes thay are better then K2 hand down.

Opinion about manufacturing process. The quality and reputation will eventually decline, once they completely transform to slave Chinese labor.

K2 set this in motion, making the skis in China with enslaved employees (if you can call them that), asking the same price for their skis as made in Europe - read giant profit margin. No I will not buy them either and a lot of other people wont.
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty_C View Post
I have skied it as well, and agree with everything you have said. Very sick ski and a helluva lot of fun. Personally the entire K2 line up skied very well, and the improvements have shown on the hill and in my store sales (K2 is my number 1 selling brand this season, which considering my wall is lined with Atomic, Rossi, Salomon, Line, and Head, is/was an amazing change in my business),
I can't wait to ski the new Crossfire, even though I thought the old one was a good niche ski for K2's typical customer. Did any of you seen new differences in K2's other product for 07/08? They didn't sell that well at our shop: Dynastar and Elan seem to get the nod in head-to-head demos against the Recon, although the Stryker was a good seller. Alot of people bought the Recon based on a recommendation from their friends, but most customers who demoed preferred another ski.
post #14 of 17
Seems to me, that the Recon is the "X-Scream" of this generation of skis. Folks have heard about it and ask for it without even really knowing what it is. As you say, the current models fit their target customer pretty well and sell well based off of that. The differences within the other models are not IMO, terribly dramatic.

SJ
post #15 of 17
I'm wondering who pi$$ed in jaypeaks rice bowl.....
post #16 of 17

My Rice Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by vail snopro View Post
I'm wondering who pi$$ed in jaypeaks rice bowl.....
Well if someone asking. Skiing this Sat on my brand spanking new Fischer World Cup RC - First Run, great snow, great day, the skis feel awesome - probably the best skis I've been on. To make the long story short - I made it to the bottom with Ski Patrol - fearing ACL is gone, too early tool tell - I may get lucky and walk away with sprain...Lots of pi$$ in my rice bowl this weekend....

Next season will probably be posting in snowboard review still will ride Burton over K2...
post #17 of 17
I'm a big fan of K2 but haven't tried the Crossfires. I always thought the quality was quite high at K2. I like French skis too. The best product gets my money. Period. I've had similar discussions over Japanese cars. It's a complex issue. I just like to ski. Sorry to hear about the injury jaypeak. Hope things work out for the best.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Crossfire owners Beware :D