EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Ski Instruction & Coaching › Am I doing what I should be doing?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Am I doing what I should be doing?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Hey everyone. I am currently 13 years old, and went skiing for the first time in 3 years yesterday. I had decided to try snowboarding, but ended up hating it, and went back to skiing. I took 4 years of lessons (So starting when I was 7ish) and get the basic gist of it. My dad is the only person that has advice for me, and the only thing he said was to keep my skis as close as possible and parrellel, and to turn by first starting with bent knees and straightening them to "lighten" myself and then sliding my skis into the new direction.

Basically, I am scrambling for any advice you guys have for me. What to practice, etc. I have no poles at the moment, but hope to get some if I go enough to need them.

I am sorry if this has been posted multiple times before, I couldn't figure out the search button. I will continue to look around the forums and hopefully get some advice!

Thanks!
post #2 of 13

What to Do

SkierToBe, Welcome back to skiing and welcome to Epic. Where are you, where do you ski? Can you afford or your dad afford some lessons?
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete No. Idaho View Post
SkierToBe, Welcome back to skiing and welcome to Epic. Where are you, where do you ski? Can you afford or your dad afford some lessons?
I am down in central NH. I skiied yesterday at McINTYRE for a getting-back-into-it supersmall hill (If you have ever been there this doesn't need explaining). I am in driving length of Mt. Sunnapee, Pats Peak, Crotched. That area.

I was thinking about taking 1 lesson for technique improvement. It isn't really a problem cost-wise.

Thanks for the welcome!
post #4 of 13

Doing

SkierToBe, by all means take a lesson as soon as you can. When you take the lesson be on "new" ski's with some shape. Your dad is obviously trying to help but his advise is very dated and not probably right. Obviously I haven't seen you ski so take a lesson, listen very carefully and jot down some notes right after the lessson. Then if you want you can come to Epic and discuss your lesson and the WHYS of skiing.

You can't learn how to ski on Epic you have to "do it", but you can use Epic as a resource for information. There are some very good instructors on Epic.

Good luck in your ski goals and post so we can follow your progress and maybe even help you along. Pete
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
It looks like I am going to Sunapee on Sunday. I am also probably taking a lesson there.

Oh, and I found some poles in my garage. Outdated, yes, but a pole is a pole... Right? Should I bring them?
post #6 of 13
Poles are a "yes". If nothing else, they'll make it easier to get around, but at 11 years old, you are likely strong enough and coordinated enough to add them into your skiing.

As was suggested earlier, also try to get on some "shaped" skis for your lesson. You should be able to get something from the rental shop at the hill that'll work just fine.

Cheers,
Bryan
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
Poles are a "yes". If nothing else, they'll make it easier to get around, but at 11 years old, you are likely strong enough and coordinated enough to add them into your skiing.

As was suggested earlier, also try to get on some "shaped" skis for your lesson. You should be able to get something from the rental shop at the hill that'll work just fine.

Cheers,
Bryan
dude, he's not 11, he is 13. There is a big difference
post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
Poles are a "yes". If nothing else, they'll make it easier to get around, but at 11 years old, you are likely strong enough and coordinated enough to add them into your skiing.

As was suggested earlier, also try to get on some "shaped" skis for your lesson. You should be able to get something from the rental shop at the hill that'll work just fine.

Cheers,
Bryan
Yeah, as PhilT pointed out, im 13. And who said I didn't have good skis? (Unless I am missing the correct definetion for the word "Shaped?") The skis I have now preform on par with my sisters brand new Heads. I am sure that the Heads will be better if we both get good, but for our skill level now, it doesn't really matter. When I get better, I'll get better skis, but for now, mine work fine.
post #9 of 13
You have a mature writing style for a 13 yr old.

"shaped skis" simply means that the tip and tail are significantly wider than the waist. modern skis have this sort of shape. make sure you're using modern skis ... modern skiing techniques are what's taught today.

poles are not important to start.

if you want to "get good" at skiing there are a couple of things that you can do off-snow that will make a real difference:
- develop a strong core
- do balance and sliding activities (rollerblading as an example)

skiing is a dynamic activity. the techniques you learn will be globally important ... and a key aspect of becoming a good skier is to get mileage so that you know which tools to use for which situations. the snow conditions change all day long as do your energy levels. each run can be totally different.

have fun,
kiersten
post #10 of 13
SkierToBe,

Yeah, your Dad's technique is very outdated (older than you are). As long as the skis you are using were made after you got out of diapers, you're probably fine. Anything made after 2000 will have a modern shape. The style of skiing your Dad is using, is what was used back when skis were straight and had no shape (that hourglass look).

Good choice on the lesson. I'd suggest both you and your dad take a lesson. If you're somewhat athletic, it should come faily easily, since you're at a great age to progress quickly. Just don't get too gung-ho and be all obsessed with going straight and fast. Judging by your writing style, you're a smart kid , so don't stop being smart when you're oon the hill.
post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
SkierToBe,

Yeah, your Dad's technique is very outdated (older than you are). As long as the skis you are using were made after you got out of diapers, you're probably fine. Anything made after 2000 will have a modern shape. The style of skiing your Dad is using, is what was used back when skis were straight and had no shape (that hourglass look).

Good choice on the lesson. I'd suggest both you and your dad take a lesson. If you're somewhat athletic, it should come faily easily, since you're at a great age to progress quickly. Just don't get too gung-ho and be all obsessed with going straight and fast. Judging by your writing style, you're a smart kid , so don't stop being smart when you're oon the hill.
I am not sure my dad will be so keen on taking a lesson. He seems to think his technique is very "hip." Haha!

I am somewhat athletic. I am playing basketball this season. It should end pretty soon, though, and I can get in some more skiing time after that. I am not really into straight and fast, I am more into using the mountains bumps and lumps to make the carving a little more fun. I longboard (Skating), so I am pretty into carving and such.

I don't think my local hill counts as me going "gung-ho." I litterally can go straight down the steepest trail (Considering their are two) and not even get close to going my "fastest." I really can't wait until Sunday when the trails are longer and their is more of them.

Thanks for the response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klkaye View Post
You have a mature writing style for a 13 yr old.

"shaped skis" simply means that the tip and tail are significantly wider than the waist. modern skis have this sort of shape. make sure you're using modern skis ... modern skiing techniques are what's taught today.

poles are not important to start.

if you want to "get good" at skiing there are a couple of things that you can do off-snow that will make a real difference:
- develop a strong core
- do balance and sliding activities (rollerblading as an example)

skiing is a dynamic activity. the techniques you learn will be globally important ... and a key aspect of becoming a good skier is to get mileage so that you know which tools to use for which situations. the snow conditions change all day long as do your energy levels. each run can be totally different.

have fun,
kiersten
I am pretty much covered for balance and sliding activites. In the summer, I longboard (Skateboarding), Surf, Skimboard, rollerblade, etc, etc. If it slides, I do it.

I also use an Indo board often to improve my balance. I think I have pretty good balance, but the Indo board just helps further.

Thanks for the responses! (And the compliments on my writing, haha.)
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
Poles are a "yes". If nothing else, they'll make it easier to get around, but at 11 years old, you are likely strong enough and coordinated enough to add them into your skiing.

As was suggested earlier, also try to get on some "shaped" skis for your lesson. You should be able to get something from the rental shop at the hill that'll work just fine.

Cheers,
Bryan
hi, im 13 also and i ski at mad river mountain - ohio its more like a hill but its the closest to me. i use poles and i think it is easier to get around and stay in balance. I feel more safe and secure when i am using poles.

i have lessons and my instructor took me into pole planting. it when you take your pole and " plant it " in the snow and turn around it. it is like a marker for your turn. but its up to you if you want to try them.
And also my friend has the straight skis and he said ( i cant really remember b.c it was my first lesson and now i have taken a lot of them ) that it would affect her skiing somehow. but thats again, up to you.
good luck!
post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier101 View Post
hi, im 13 also and i ski at mad river mountain - ohio its more like a hill but its the closest to me. i use poles and i think it is easier to get around and stay in balance. I feel more safe and secure when i am using poles.

i have lessons and my instructor took me into pole planting. it when you take your pole and " plant it " in the snow and turn around it. it is like a marker for your turn. but its up to you if you want to try them.
And also my friend has the straight skis and he said ( i cant really remember b.c it was my first lesson and now i have taken a lot of them ) that it would affect her skiing somehow. but thats again, up to you.
good luck!
Thanks. I am thinking I will bring poles just because it is easier to get around. Maybe if the instructor notices I have them, he might teach me some techniques with them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Instruction & Coaching
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Ski Instruction & Coaching › Am I doing what I should be doing?