EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Looking for new boots for next season - nordica gran sport?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for new boots for next season - nordica gran sport?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
This year I'm skiing in Alpina CM4 Discovery's with my Atomic GS:11 160cm skis. I'm 5'7", 117lbs, age 16.

My boots this year aren't that bad, but I could use some more control that these gs:11's demand for next year. I picked these boots this year because they were the easiest to get on and off and most comfortable. Up until this season I was still clinging on to rear-entries.

I was reading a ski magazine and came across boots called the Nordica Gran Sports. It claimed that they are as comfortable and convienant as rear-entries and perform like a classic overlap.

I read over a few links on them, it seems their are a 3 different types (gransport 10, 12, and 14). All with different flex numbers, with the 10 being 80 and the 14 being 100.

Has anyone ever tried these boots? Are they really as comfortable and easy to use as rear entries? Do they offer good performance and control? And forgive me for this one, but what do these flex numbers mean and which one is better for me with my gs:11's?
post #2 of 14
Are they as comfortable as rear entries?................maybe close, but probably not (after all these will at least touch your foot in some spots)

Do they offer good performance and control?..........no better than most very roomy boots and not as good as some.

SJ
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post
Do they offer good performance and control?..........no better than most very roomy boots and not as good as some.
How about compared to my current boots (which are really beginner boots even though I'm an expert skier)? Are these expert boots?
post #4 of 14
Rob, I would only consider these boots as a last resort. IMHO, you should exhaust all traditional overlap boots before you get into these. Typical of anything that tries to do everything well, it ends up doing nothing well.
post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
Rob, I would only consider these boots as a last resort. IMHO, you should exhaust all traditional overlap boots before you get into these. Typical of anything that tries to do everything well, it ends up doing nothing well.
Wow are they really that bad? After everything I was reading I kind of thought they were an advanced/expert boot.
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob A View Post
Wow are they really that bad? After everything I was reading I kind of thought they were an advanced/expert boot.
No, they are not that bad..just not that good. there are much better choices.
post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
No, they are not that bad..just not that good. there are much better choices.
What do you see wrong with them? Are they more like intermediate boots than advanced/expert boots? And what do these flex numbers mean?
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
bump
post #9 of 14
bump
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob A View Post
What do you see wrong with them? Are they more like intermediate boots than advanced/expert boots? And what do these flex numbers mean?
Once you have the ability to allow that upper cuff to flex rearward, you atart to compramise the rearward intergrity fo the boot for control. Personally, I put my boots on once a day, to comprimise the boot for performance for the rest of the day, just for the ease of extry, to me is not good math.
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
Once you have the ability to allow that upper cuff to flex rearward, you atart to compramise the rearward intergrity fo the boot for control. Personally, I put my boots on once a day, to comprimise the boot for performance for the rest of the day, just for the ease of extry, to me is not good math.
I recently purchased these boots for my wife, who i concider an advanced skier. She has now fell in love with skiing again. Phil, these boots have a locking system, which as soon as they are buckled and pressure is placed on the tongue of boot, they lock into the correct position of skiing. There is no backward flexing of this boot. The only remembrance to the old style rear entry is when taking off boot the top buckle releases the cuff to a more open position to allow people with high arches to insert or remove their feet more comfortably. My wife swears these boots are not only more comfortable but give her the best feed back of any boot she has worn. Just my $.02...
post #12 of 14
How are the toe box shaped on the Gran Sport? Is there room for straight big toes??
post #13 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragin' cajun' View Post
I recently purchased these boots for my wife, who i concider an advanced skier. She has now fell in love with skiing again. Phil, these boots have a locking system, which as soon as they are buckled and pressure is placed on the tongue of boot, they lock into the correct position of skiing. There is no backward flexing of this boot. The only remembrance to the old style rear entry is when taking off boot the top buckle releases the cuff to a more open position to allow people with high arches to insert or remove their feet more comfortably. My wife swears these boots are not only more comfortable but give her the best feed back of any boot she has worn. Just my $.02...
Now that sounds great! I'm definitely gonna try on these boots as soon as I can. Now I just have to figure out if I'm better off with a 80 flex, 90 flex, or 100 flex. Can someone shed some insight as too what these numbers mean?
post #14 of 14
Can someone shed some insight as too what these numbers mean?[/quote]

flex80 is softer then flex100, when pushing knee forward/down.
In general, flex numbers can't be compared between different brands.

It's defenetly a very interesting boot for patrol work.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Looking for new boots for next season - nordica gran sport?