EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › should i change my trip plans from tahoe last week feb
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

should i change my trip plans from tahoe last week feb

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
right now i have flight reservation (allegedly nonrefundable) to tahoe for feb 24 and a cheap room reserved 2/24 - 3/4. i went to tahoe last year about this time and had a great time, so i wanted to go back. however, the ski conditions are looking bad and long range forecast doesnt seem to be improving. im on somewhat of a tight budget this year but i want to go somewhere and ski real bad..

im not a very good skier (can manage some intermediate terrain, i know i know gaper etc..) but i liked tahoe for other attractions like gambling (dont have to do this), snowmobiling (can do this almost anywhere else they have powder). and im going by myself so no worries on changing an entire family reservations. if i do switch, where should i consider going (im from florida). ive been to park city, vail/beaver creek, and killington. i was so much more impressed with western skiing but i did killington at the end of the season last year so the snow was meltin.. would really like ya'll advice please, thank you.
post #2 of 22
Good snow this season, lots of intermediate terrain: Mt. Bachelor, maybe Banff-Lake Louise. Both destinations cheaper than Colorado (once you get there, probably not for airfare).

Colorado's I-70 corridor started the season well and unlike Tahoe is adequately covered, but not much January snow so current surface conditions are likely not up to the usual standard. In fairness, the usual pattern in Colorado is that the surface will be refreshed by the time of your trip.
post #3 of 22
anything could happen in 4 weeks. if you have non-refundable - there is really not much you can do - except pray.

where are you going to change it to? whatever you decide - that place could go dry - for the next 4 weeks - where would that leave you.
post #4 of 22
I made my reservations very early for Tahoe, the dates were Jan 29-Feb 4th. Two weeks ago I switched my reservations to Steamboat, and I am here now.

I am VERY glad I switched. I had some penalties (about $110 total for two people) but that is not the end of the world.

I am also from Florida, so I imagine costs would be simular for us both.

Anyway, it has been lightly snowing all day today, and we should get another foot by this time tomorrow. Coverage is already excellent too by the way.

My legs are KILLING me, but I am having an awesome time.

You might want to wait another 14 days before changing anything... but there is still NO snow in the 15 day forecast for Tahoe. Also, keep in mind the long range forecasts dont really mean much, so dont put too much trust in them.

There is a lot more to do in Tahoe, so nights here in Steamboat are a little boring, but I came to ski, and that is what I am doing.
post #5 of 22
Thread Starter 
jaxbert thanks for your advice, i guess my best bet is to monitor conditions, but i mean jeez louise, weather channel says highs will be in the mid 50s next week for tahoe, thats atrocious. im not a big night lifer, im there trying to ski and hopefully improve some, so while not being able to go the casinos will be kind of a shame, i'd prefer to have POW (heck i sleep early after skiing all day and didnt seeanywhere in tahoe that had night skiing.

to anyone else reading, if i do ditch tahoe, where would you recommend for someone who can only ski blue runs?? should i go back to park city/deer valley, didnt seem conditions were too great their either..what about colorado, i dont want to pay so much for vail...grrrr cmon just send a couple big storms to tahoe and salvage my trip weathergods, plz!!
post #6 of 22
I was just at Heavenly over the weekend. You can read my TR here:
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=51328

Not to harsh your mellow, but I certainly wouldn't tell anybody from out of state to come to Tahoe.

It's bare.

Pretty much only the locals and the diehards from Reno/Sacto/SF are hitting the slopes. The upside to that is that there aren't huge crowds. The downside is that since coverage is thin, a lot of runs are closed, so what little crowds there are tend to be all crammed onto the same few open runs. The result is that while there are no lift lines, there's still a "ton" of folks zipping down the runs and creating obstacles/traffic jams.

I honestly don't know where to tell you to go, though I keep hearing that the PNW is still sitting a bit pretty (Oregon/Washington/Idaho) in terms of coverage. And it's pretty cheap to get there, so I hear.

I must be crazy, but I never book a trip to go out of state more than 2 weeks in advance.

I may pay a little extra, but then I'm not locked into something until I'm sure I want to go (i.e. my friends and I are looking into Utah for mid-Feb and Big Sky for the same time period, as well).
post #7 of 22
It would be really phenomenal if this weather pattern continued. Considering the oriiginal poster is an intermediate skier, the snow making capability at Heavenly will keep things decent on the runs even without natural snow. My bet is that we will be seeing some better activity after the first week of February. Since many people have already cancelled their plans, Tahoe could be relatively uncrowded.

You know what they say about selling high and buying low. This is a buy recommendation, and while its based on historical trends and probabilities, chances are you will come out ahead.
post #8 of 22
I'll be leaving for Heavenly a week from today. It's funny to read about their snow issues, yet be sitting in my living room here in Dallas watching the snow fall outside.

No chance to change plans, they were made a good while ago. In any case, I'm looking forward to the trip anyway. And suggestions for particular trails to try for a group of intermediate/advanced skiers?
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elistan View Post
I'll be leaving for Heavenly a week from today. It's funny to read about their snow issues, yet be sitting in my living room here in Dallas watching the snow fall outside.

No chance to change plans, they were made a good while ago. In any case, I'm looking forward to the trip anyway. And suggestions for particular trails to try for a group of intermediate/advanced skiers?
Drove down to FT. Worth today from Joplin,Mo, crossed into Texas and it SNOWING: :
post #10 of 22
mike pechner - the local weather guy says - there is a change in the pattern
starting middle of next week !!!!
post #11 of 22
EJECT EJECT EJECT....well i did anyway. Can't see spending so much money to ski on ice.
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeski View Post
EJECT EJECT EJECT....well i did anyway. Can't see spending so much money to ski on ice.
which you would be - if you were in jackson this week.
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty View Post
mike pechner - the local weather guy says - there is a change in the pattern
starting middle of next week !!!!
Cool, the forecast I'm seeing shows slight chances for snow each day next week (10% to 50%.)
post #14 of 22

I wouldn't write off Tahoe

Historically the Sierras have had many a dry December and January followed by very wet/snowy weather in Feb, March and April.

Despite the lack of snow I have 14 days (I hold a fulltime job) in this season All good. My skis have only been in the shop three times for edge and/or base work.

On the bright side I got a new pair of Metrons for my birthday. They won't see snow until we get decent coverage tho.
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaileyjr View Post
to anyone else reading, if i do ditch tahoe, where would you recommend for someone who can only ski blue runs?? should i go back to park city/deer valley, didnt seem conditions were too great their either..what about colorado, i dont want to pay so much for vail...grrrr cmon just send a couple big storms to tahoe and salvage my trip weathergods, plz!!
Steamboat is getting some right now and Canada is looking good too.
post #16 of 22
Steamboat is on the radar for me in March.
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty View Post
which you would be - if you were in jackson this week.
Praying things change for the 9th-16th. Supposed to warm up and some snow predicted for the coming weeks.
post #18 of 22
Thread Starter 
bumping this for more opinions, looks like some snow has landed, and more this weekend, but then temps back up to low 50s this week, man wish it would just dump 2-3 feet then stay in the 30s and then snow right when i get there so there is pow and a nice pack..still, i only have a couple days to change reservations if i wanted to..should i stick it out or make the change?
post #19 of 22
fact of the matter - there no guarantees of snow anywhere. you could change it to whistler or CO - and they could go thru a dry period between now and then.
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaileyjr View Post
bumping this for more opinions, looks like some snow has landed, and more this weekend, but then temps back up to low 50s this week, man wish it would just dump 2-3 feet then stay in the 30s and then snow right when i get there so there is pow and a nice pack..still, i only have a couple days to change reservations if i wanted to..should i stick it out or make the change?
I would want until Mon or Tues to make any changes. It will let you see if we get 2-3 feet by then and if the storm door is going to remain open.

Temp in 50's: Tahoe tends to get warm temp between storms. So, I wouldn't worry about that too much. Also try to use a forecast for mtns around 8000' versus a Truckee or South Lake Tahoe forecast. temp can be much warmer lower down.


Kirkwood:
http://www.snowforecast.com/californ.../kirkwood.html

Alpine/Squaw Area
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_foreca...lon=-120.21625
make sure to read the Forecast Discussion
post #21 of 22
What a difference a few weeks make eh?

Hey Baily did you decide to stick with Lake Tahoe? I hope so!!!
post #22 of 22
he's got to be hating this. i know if i had to ski in conditions like that, i would quit skiing every day(once the ski patrol told me i'm the last one on the hill and its time to get off).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › should i change my trip plans from tahoe last week feb