New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Santa Rosa Range, Nevada

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Consider this reconnassaince.

At some point in the not-so-distant future I'm going to put some sort of (rudimentary) dwelling on a small piece of dirt I have in the Winnemucca area. It's going to be my hermitage. (I am already excited to know there is good trout fishing in the area. Something else I can pick up relatively late in life.) Lately, though, and since I joined the Ski Mountaineering section of the Sierra Club, I've become curious about the hike-to skiing in the area.

Anything anyone can add to what I have included below, from Travel Nevada dot com, is appreciated.

"Skiers will find superb cross-country and downhill skiing as well as absolute solitude in the Santa Rosa Range north of Winnemucca. Just north of the picturesque hamlet Paradise Valley, State Route 290 becomes a dirt road, rocky in places and best traveled in a 4-wheel drive vehicle. The road leads to 7,867-foot Hinkey Summit.

At the end of the road is the accessible 9,732-foot Granite Peak. On the U.S. 95 side, downhill skiers can hike the 9,701-foot Santa Rosa Peak. To get there from Reno, take Interstate 80 east to Winnemucca exit 176. Follow the signs to the center of town where you turn north on U.S. 95, then to State Route 290 to Paradise Valley."


Thanks already to mountaingirl1961, who's alluded favorably to Ely-area backcountry.

and for this: http://www.nevadaevent.com/ely/
post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan View Post
...

The road leads to 7,867-foot Hinkey Summit.

At the end of the road is the accessible 9,732-foot Granite Peak. On the U.S. 95 side, downhill skiers can hike the 9,701-foot Santa Rosa Peak.

...

Thanks already to mountaingirl1961, who's alluded favorably to Ely-area backcountry.
Yer welcome. Love the NV backcountry.

Just an observation and I have no idea if this applies near Winnemucca, but I'm thinking you may be a bit low altitude at Hinkley Summit unless you're looking at a huge year. Most of the stuff we ski in the Rubies and near Ely doesn't get adequate coverage until we're above around 9400', and we usually make turns between around 9400' and 10K'+. There's one run I like a lot that runs between about 9400' down to about 8800', but it's north facing and the skin in (up the other side of the ridge) is often, well, unskinnable/unskiable (as it is right now). I would guess that the Santa Rosa range gets similar snowpack to the Rubies.

Have you checked to see if they have a Snotel site where you're thinking of skiing?

http://www3.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/cgibin...l?state=nevada

FWIW this photo was snapped in the Rubies last December. Not one of my ski partners but one of the regulars in the Rubies backcountry.
525x525px-LL-vbattach1191.jpg
post #3 of 15
Ryan - went up ice climbing this weekend and met a couple of guys from Winnemucca. They are also BC skiers and said that there's decent skiing up Water Canyon, which is right outside of town. They're suffering from the same snowpack that we are currently... have only been out a couple of days this year.
post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 
thanks, mg, very much.

i'm gonna do the bike ride around tahoe first weekend of june then drive out to the area and take a look.

the more homework i do, the curiouser i get.
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan View Post
thanks, mg, very much.

i'm gonna do the bike ride around tahoe first weekend of june then drive out to the area and take a look.

the more homework i do, the curiouser i get.
There's decent MTB riding up Water Canyon if you're not afraid of poaching a little private property... (I know, shouldn't say that out loud). The developed trail system, Bloody Shins, isn't much to speak of... there's better riding outside of Battle Mountain and exceptional riding near Ely.

There's also an MTB enduro race in Ely the 2nd weekend of June, if you're interested, that is a huge blast and which covers much of the super-fun stuff in the hills around town. No experience required - it's all about fun. I'll likely be working with them to organize it if you'd like more info down the road.
post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
i'm a roadie but the plunk-down for something a little more terrain-friendly is inevitable.

in the meantime, this is intriguing:

http://www.bikethewest.com/OATBRAN.html
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaingirl1961 View Post
There's decent MTB riding up Water Canyon if you're not afraid of poaching a little private property... (I know, shouldn't say that out loud). The developed trail system, Bloody Shins, isn't much to speak of... there's better riding outside of Battle Mountain and exceptional riding near Ely.
X2 on Water Canyon. Pretty area.

I thought the Bloody Shins trail was the most over-rated P.O.S. trail I've ever ridden. If you like riding in 1-2' deep trenches dug by runoff, on boring 4WD trails, and -- best of all -- on a carpet of goatheads, you'll love the trail. Otherwise stay far away. I've never seen so many goatheads...
post #8 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
I've never seen so many goatheads...
enough to make soup?
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan
enough to make soup?
When it rains. Which it doesn't. It's a desert.

Chupa, seriously, check out the riding around Ely sometime when you're heading to Moab or Gooseberry. It rocks.

+++++++++++++

Ryan, I was in Ely when that ride came through last year - thought it had something to do with Interbike until I learned better. That looks like a blast - 50 is such a beautiful route if you like the high desert.
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan View Post
Consider this reconnassaince.

At some point in the not-so-distant future I'm going to put some sort of (rudimentary) dwelling on a small piece of dirt I have in the Winnemucca area. It's going to be my hermitage. (I am already excited to know there is good trout fishing in the area. Something else I can pick up relatively late in life.)
Trout fishing and backcountry skiing. Sounds like you've got your priorities straight for the long haul.

Regarding the hermitage: if you're a do-it-yourself kinda guy, you may want to check out my new friends.
post #11 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarlito View Post
Regarding the hermitage: if you're a do-it-yourself kinda guy, you may want to check out my new friends.
i'm a guy who wants/needs to be MORE do-it-yourself.

thanks, gnarlito; that's genuinely intriguing; i'm going to look into it.

in the meantime, this is more along the lines of my present thinking:

http://radio.weblogs.com/0119080/sto...streaming.html
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan View Post
i'm a guy who wants/needs to be MORE do-it-yourself.

thanks, gnarlito; that's genuinely intriguing; i'm going to look into it.

in the meantime, this is more along the lines of my present thinking:

http://radio.weblogs.com/0119080/sto...streaming.html
Ah, a mobile starter castle! If Mr. Natural owned a travel trailer, I'm sure it would be an Airstream.
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaingirl1961 View Post
Chupa, seriously, check out the riding around Ely sometime when you're heading to Moab or Gooseberry. It rocks.
I've only been hiking & some 4WD exploring near Ely (Schell Creek? can't remember exact name). Pretty mountains. Any guides/info on Ely-area rides?

Austin has some good trails too. Funky little town, nice quiet weekend getaway, never crowded.
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
I've only been hiking & some 4WD exploring near Ely (Schell Creek? can't remember exact name). Pretty mountains. Any guides/info on Ely-area rides?

Austin has some good trails too. Funky little town, nice quiet weekend getaway, never crowded.
I like Austin, and Eureka too. Try and visit Eureka sometime when there's something going on at the old opera house. They get real entertainment in there, and it's a blast. Also check out the little Mennonite bakery/coffee shop on the east end of Eureka. OMFG, what good food.

Here's a link to the Great Basin Trails Alliance website. These guys are my ski/bike/climbing buddies and are behind much of the trail development. There are avid BC skiers working at both the BLM and USFS offices if you're looking for info. One of the most avid MTB guys just moved to Boise, but there's another guy down there, the local optometrist, who's also an avid MTB rider and a super nice guy. He won't ride on a Sunday but he's game any time else. Posts under KRob on the MTBR forums, easily found if you page him on the Nevada board.

BTW, we do the majority of our Ely-area skiing in the Schells. For some reason the aspens and pines there are spaced absolutely perfectly.
post #15 of 15
Thanks mountaingirl -- will check out that link. I've stayed in Eureka before, but only when passing through to Ely or Moab. Will have to spend some more time exploring there.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home