New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bumps move uphill

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quite a story in the Summit Daily News. I heard this a while ago and thought it was nuts. It seems that moguls actually move up the hill over the course of a ski season. Constantly changing.

http://www.summitdaily.com/article/2.../NEWS/70123007

Kinda weird huh?
post #2 of 20

Moguls are a computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars View Post
Quite a story in the Summit Daily News. I heard this a while ago and thought it was nuts. It seems that moguls actually move up the hill over the course of a ski season. Constantly changing.

http://www.summitdaily.com/article/2.../NEWS/70123007

Kinda weird huh?
Explanation and video available here:

http://academic.regis.edu/dbahr/Gene...ulResearch.htm
post #3 of 20
I'm all discombobulated.............: :
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars View Post
Quite a story in the Summit Daily News. I heard this a while ago and thought it was nuts. It seems that moguls actually move up the hill over the course of a ski season. Constantly changing.

http://www.summitdaily.com/article/2.../NEWS/70123007

Kinda weird huh?
What a dolt. bumps are not moving uphill, snow is moving downhill. The bottom of the upper bump gets pushed down, building on the bump below it. Snow gets removed from the bottom of the lower bump, which makes the lower bump appear to move uphill.
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-turn View Post
What a dolt. bumps are not moving uphill, snow is moving downhill. The bottom of the upper bump gets pushed down, building on the bump below it.
Waves move upriver too.
post #6 of 20
Thanks Lars for posting that news. Amazing! Very much of interest to me as I've always wanted to see a time lapse video of how moguls evolve. Though one can see moguls moving uphill over time, the video is so fast and herky jerky that is about all. I'd hope this interests someone else making a higher quality time lapse video showing a smaller section of a mogul slope over time. ---dave
post #7 of 20
Moguls migrate????
post #8 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_SSS View Post
Thanks Lars for posting that news. Amazing! Very much of interest to me as I've always wanted to see a time lapse video of how moguls evolve. Though one can see moguls moving uphill over time, the video is so fast and herky jerky that is about all. I'd hope this interests someone else making a higher quality time lapse video showing a smaller section of a mogul slope over time. ---dave
Once you view the video, if you scroll below it, it gives you an option to view it in a slower mode. It does give a better example.
post #9 of 20
I always wondered why so many people have difficulty skiing well in the bumps....the damn things are constantly moving!!
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treewell View Post
I always wondered why so many people have difficulty skiing well in the bumps....the damn things are constantly moving!!
I'm going to add that to my list of excuses.
post #11 of 20
Really cool - makes a lot of sense to me since I'm usually scraping the backsides.
post #12 of 20
First the trees jump out at you. Then you have to deal with snow snakes . Now we have to deal with moving moguls! Whats Next!
post #13 of 20
I saw the moguls moving at Jane yesterday. I think one of them spoke to me.
post #14 of 20
I'm totally with 2-Turn on this one.

I'm also wondering if Professor Bahr hasn't been spending a little too much of his ski time hanging out with the pot advocates on that other thread.
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
Moguls migrate????
Absolutely--in the Summer they fly to South America.
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
Moguls migrate????
They could be carried by a swallow...
post #17 of 20
Migrate? - I always thought that the ski area stored them in the woods during the summer!!!

I can understand how the moguls seem to move uphill, though. Snow from the bottom of the higher moguls is scraped down onto the tops of the lower moguls, which explains how the moguls can seem to move uphill, but never actually get to the top!
post #18 of 20

Moguls are like salmon, grasshopper

They are migrating to the great motherbump's pow teat at the top of the hill to gain their sustenance then die in the spring sun, only to reappear the next year at the bottom ....
post #19 of 20

I failed SAT Math portion because...

: …if you are traveling down a bump run at 32 mph and a bump is traveling up at 1 inch per hour who arrives…
post #20 of 20
Heard recently there is a team of Japenese moguls attempting an Everest summit sometime in May.....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion