New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mt Bachelor Ski Rentals?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Can anyone recommend a good ski shop for ski rental, or demos, in the Bend area.
If not, are there any shops on my way from Portland to Bend, where I can find rentals?
I've tried several searches, but came up short.

Food recommendations in Bend also welcome!

Thanks
Ray
post #2 of 16
http://www.villagebikeandski.com/html/ski.html in Sunriver, just South of Bend is where Epic Ski member "dawgcatching" works. He posts some really great ski reviews here at Epic and is very knowledgeable and helpful. His shop carries quite a few top quality brands, regular and Demo.
That said, most ski shops in the Bend area as well as the ski resort itself, rent skis both regular and Demo's. A search of "ski shops, Bend" or such should turn them up.
post #3 of 16
If you can't get to Sunriver(dawgcatching)then ask for Bob at the Demo shop @ Bachelor. Tell him Slider sent you. On second thought maybe you shouldn't.
post #4 of 16
The Original Pancake House is great for breakfast.
post #5 of 16
What is the skiing like at Bachelor this year? How do you think it will be in March? :

Thanks!
post #6 of 16
Skijerses (said : sure-shaws) is a great shop .
post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the input,
We are planning to stay in bend for Easter week, but Sunriver doesn't seem to be too far off the path, so we'll have a look at villagebikeandski.

Never been to Oregon, so I'm looking forward to it. The conditions there definitely look favorable.

Thanks again
Ray
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowride View Post
What is the skiing like at Bachelor this year? How do you think it will be in March? :

Thanks!
Conditions are awesome and will be well beyond March.
post #9 of 16
More than just one season I've gone to Bachelor in April and did some excellent tree skiing in fresh powder (Northwest chair lift). I would guess (note carefully the use of the word "guess") that the largest resorts in the PNW are Crystal Mt, Steven's Pass, Mt Hood Meadows, and Mt Bachelor, and Bachelor probably has the best snow. (Crystal & Steven's Pass probably has the best terrain.)
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave86 View Post
More than just one season I've gone to Bachelor in April and did some excellent tree skiing in fresh powder (Northwest chair lift). I would guess (note carefully the use of the word "guess") that the largest resorts in the PNW are Crystal Mt, Steven's Pass, Mt Hood Meadows, and Mt Bachelor, and Bachelor probably has the best snow. (Crystal & Steven's Pass probably has the best terrain.)
Mt. Bachelor best snow...That's debateable. I personally love Mt. Hood Meadows' Heathers Canyon and Ski Bowl's Upper Bowl areas for snow mid season. Late in the season Bachelor has the best snow.

Steven's Pass is not bad for terrain, but the conditions can be very iffy. The two times I skied Baker I hated it. I've never been to Crystal.
post #11 of 16
Bachelor used to stay open until 4th of July, often top to bottom. Powder Corp decided it didn't pay, so now they close Memorial day weekend. Did someone mention late season snow?
post #12 of 16
Yeah, whassup w/ Powder corp?

Bachelor used to have the best lift system anywhere.
Now they seem to have problem with their lifts often.
I heard they are cutting wages and letting the best/experienced mechanics go.

As to late/spring skiing, Bachelor on sunny day is hard to beat when snow turns to corn.
Bachelor is unique - catch the summit chair and you can drop down anywhere from the top and ski 360 degrees around the mountain – when summit is open (and that’s big IF when snowing)!

As far as the size, I think Bachelor has the most skiable acre, definitely bigger than Crystal even with their north/south BC open. No comment on terrain – other than to say check out a tiny lil-place called Alpental when it’s blowing!

ps, memosteve - u sound familier. didn't we have a small business transaction not too long ago?
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio View Post
The Original Pancake House is great for breakfast.
The Victorian Cafe is, as well.
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boar2m View Post
Yeah, whassup w/ Powder corp?

Bachelor used to have the best lift system anywhere.
Now they seem to have problem with their lifts often.
I heard they are cutting wages and letting the best/experienced mechanics go.

As to late/spring skiing, Bachelor on sunny day is hard to beat when snow turns to corn.
Bachelor is unique - catch the summit chair and you can drop down anywhere from the top and ski 360 degrees around the mountain – when summit is open (and that’s big IF when snowing)!

As far as the size, I think Bachelor has the most skiable acre, definitely bigger than Crystal even with their north/south BC open. No comment on terrain – other than to say check out a tiny lil-place called Alpental when it’s blowing!

ps, memosteve - u sound familier. didn't we have a small business transaction not too long ago?
I think so...If your name is George, I bought my Z5's from you. I've really enjoyed them, by the way.
post #15 of 16
Powder Corp. is sucking the life out of Bachelor.: We need Snow soon!: There is good coverage right now and the conditions are delightful if your pleasure is sunshine and a fast groomer. There's a GP derby in the Park&Pipe this weekend, should boost some big spinny-flippy stuff.: Should be another holiday ski weekend here. Unless of course Super Bowl.
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by memosteve View Post
Mt. Bachelor best snow...That's debateable. I personally love Mt. Hood Meadows' Heathers Canyon and Ski Bowl's Upper Bowl areas for snow mid season. Late in the season Bachelor has the best snow.

Steven's Pass is not bad for terrain, but the conditions can be very iffy. The two times I skied Baker I hated it. I've never been to Crystal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfydog View Post
Bachelor used to stay open until 4th of July, often top to bottom. Powder Corp decided it didn't pay, so now they close Memorial day weekend. Did someone mention late season snow?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boar2m View Post
Yeah, whassup w/ Powder corp?

Bachelor used to have the best lift system anywhere.
Now they seem to have problem with their lifts often.
I heard they are cutting wages and letting the best/experienced mechanics go.

As to late/spring skiing, Bachelor on sunny day is hard to beat when snow turns to corn.
Bachelor is unique - catch the summit chair and you can drop down anywhere from the top and ski 360 degrees around the mountain – when summit is open (and that’s big IF when snowing)!

As far as the size, I think Bachelor has the most skiable acre, definitely bigger than Crystal even with their north/south BC open. No comment on terrain – other than to say check out a tiny lil-place called Alpental when it’s blowing!
Bachelor is a very nice resort , but personally I prefer Meadows as there is more steeps . Especially in the Heather and Clark Canyon Areas . Heather is a huge quasi -inbounds area with some great snow and fairly steep terrain , probably equal in size to the entire main resort .Skibowl upper chair is also nice when the conditions are right , but definatly is not what you would call a destination resort .
Meadows was open until june 4th last year and conditions were pretty good throughout . We got some pretty sustantial snow early this year , however we really could use another big dump . Sounds like we are better off than most places round the globe though .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel