or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Killington, VT - New upper mountain lift.......
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Killington, VT - New upper mountain lift.......

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
This is still strictly a rumor at this stage, but it seems highly likely that Killington will be installing a new lift to either the peak or at least the top elevation of the K-1 Gondola, starting somewhere above 3500 ft. This would allow them to offer early season skiing via up/downloading on the K-1 Gondola, with skiing off this new lift and the existing North Ridge Triple Chair.

Various specific proposals for this lift have been discussed previously on K-zone, but I wanted to get inputs from epicski. I have started a thread on K-zone to consolidate the discussion, you can find it here:

http://www.killingtonzone.com/forums...ic.php?t=14827

Several Killington managers actively read and post on K-zone, and will be reading this thread - so tell them what you want to see. Check out the "Ask Killington" forum over there for more info.
post #2 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway Star View Post
This is still strictly a rumor at this stage, but it seems highly likely that Killington will be installing a new lift to either the peak or at least the top elevation of the K-1 Gondola, starting somewhere above 3500 ft. This would allow them to offer early season skiing via up/downloading on the K-1 Gondola, with skiing off this new lift and the existing North Ridge Triple Chair.

Various specific proposals for this lift have been discussed previously on K-zone, but I wanted to get inputs from epicski. I have started a thread on K-zone to consolidate the discussion, you can find it here:

http://www.killingtonzone.com/forums...ic.php?t=14827

Several Killington managers actively read and post on K-zone, and will be reading this thread - so tell them what you want to see. Check out the "Ask Killington" forum over there for more info.
If they did that, then they would be able to run the Glade Triple as well, just like in the old days.
post #3 of 14
Sounds cool, keep us updated on the rumors.

On a side note, how much would you expect ticket prices to go up?
post #4 of 14
It is irritating that the glades triple barely ever runs anymore, although I've been lucky to have it running both times I skiied Kmart last year. Thank god, because without it getting to Coopers for lunch means climbing the stairs upto the peak and taking that stupid little chute so that you can traverse across.
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb View Post
It is irritating that the glades triple barely ever runs anymore, although I've been lucky to have it running both times I skiied Kmart last year. Thank god, because without it getting to Coopers for lunch means climbing the stairs upto the peak and taking that stupid little chute so that you can traverse across.
It always seems to be runnning when I'm there.

The elevation of this lift used to give Killington an advantage in early season. If there were a way to down load from the K-1 it would help them to be more agressive opening. From that stand point, a new lift would be great, something along the lines of a high speed quad t-bar.
post #6 of 14
Um...two throughts here:

- It is unlikely that K'ton will do *any* capital improvements after such a dissasterous winter, where revenue is likely to not break even with expenses.
- Long term, what is the likelyhood of further industry improvements in an area clearly going through a weather pattern shift where the very thought of skiing may be out of the question *within* the lifetime of that new lift installation?

Powdr
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdr View Post
Um...two throughts here:

- It is unlikely that K'ton will do *any* capital improvements after such a dissasterous winter, where revenue is likely to not break even with expenses.
- Long term, what is the likelyhood of further industry improvements in an area clearly going through a weather pattern shift where the very thought of skiing may be out of the question *within* the lifetime of that new lift installation?

Powdr
Then why not enjoy all the lifts we can while we still can?
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Jones View Post
If they did that, then they would be able to run the Glade Triple as well, just like in the old days.
The Glades triple and the North Ridge triple (that Highway mentioned in his original post) are the same thing. They changed the name to confuse everybody a few years back.
post #9 of 14
I like this idea.

I generally ski that section of Killington mountain more(Canyon quad, triple etc) but not so much to the top because I don't want to head all the way down to board the gondola. Anything to get around better at Killington and ski the good parts I like is welcomed ....

Stratton created something like this called Shooting Star and made it a HS sixer. I love it because there's never a line and it serves the upper half, which generally has better snow.
post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Here is another related thread, and there will be more to come over the next few weeks and months. This one is a bit more productive and less of a flame war:

http://www.killingtonzone.com/forums...ic.php?t=14849

If you feel strongly about this, feel free to send Killington an email with your thoughts. The more the merrier. This is a relatively small capital expenditure, and vital to Killington's ongoing success.
post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdr View Post
Um...two throughts here:

- It is unlikely that K'ton will do *any* capital improvements after such a dissasterous winter, where revenue is likely to not break even with expenses.
- Long term, what is the likelyhood of further industry improvements in an area clearly going through a weather pattern shift where the very thought of skiing may be out of the question *within* the lifetime of that new lift installation?

Powdr
Depends of you believe in global warming or not. Personally, I don't. However, I do believe in bad winters. Regardless of the cause, skiing in the east isn't going to disappear entirely, and Killington isn't going away. This kind of lift is exactly what is needed to help combat bad weather......whatever the cause of that bad weather is.

Killington is poised for capital expansion this year. They are the most profitable ASC resort in the east, and have had very little expansion in the last few years. They are already slated to get money. Steamboat is being sold right now, and that will help. Even with this bad winter, they are still outperforming everybody else, and that will help too. They are getting the money - this is the time to speak up and tell them how we, as customers and skiers, want it spent.
post #12 of 14
sheesh - people are POed over there about the weirdest things. It's kinda like asking "would you like better conditions longer and with more convenience, and we're asking you how to do it" and all people wanna do is complain.

Proves you can't please everybody ....

As far as global warming - all the more reason to ski the top of the hill
post #13 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct55 View Post
sheesh - people are POed over there about the weirdest things. It's kinda like asking "would you like better conditions longer and with more convenience, and we're asking you how to do it" and all people wanna do is complain.

Proves you can't please everybody ....

As far as global warming - all the more reason to ski the top of the hill
Word. There's alot of wankers on that board. Makes epicski look good. K-zone is basicly filled with computer geeks that ski at Killington......nobody cool at Killington knows K-zone exists.
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway Star View Post
Word. There's alot of wankers on that board. Makes epicski look good. K-zone is basicly filled with computer geeks that ski at Killington......nobody cool at Killington knows K-zone exists.
Does that include you???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Killington, VT - New upper mountain lift.......