New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NASTAR - and the unlikely suspect

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
If you'd have told me a year ago that I'd become friends with volklgirl, I'd have said, "Who? You mean the racer chick? Nah, I'm having fun playing and picking on my husband's Country Boy Carve"

Well, I have spent some time skiing with volklgirl, and have grown to appreciate her on so many levels.
What does this have to do with racing, you say?

She conviced me to sign up for NASTAR on Sunday, and much to my surprise, I liked it!
Who'da thunk-it!
Me, the never ever been through a race course, 40 year old country girl on K2 Burnin luvs! I really had fun.
http://www.nastar.com/index.jsp?page...&compid=550648

Thanks "K"! You are a ton of fun to ski with. We got good Karma!

BTW - I'm NOT buying a speed suit!!!
post #2 of 24
Great going!!.. I did that too last week for the first time and it was tonnes of fun.. I was 0.6 seconds away from silver and promptly decided that my inability to make up time was becasue of a bad tune or the burss on my edges and not the fact that I couldnt nail the pitch .. In fact I even challenged an ex-racer friend of mine to a face-off..
post #3 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekchick View Post
BTW - I'm NOT buying a speed suit!!!
Never say never.

Welcome to the world of competitive skiing. It's just another way to enjoy the mountain (or hill or bump). Good racing is just good skiing, with your path dictated by the course setter- targeted turning. It's addicting, but in a good way.
post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekchick View Post
Well, I have spent some time skiing with volklgirl, and have grown to appreciate her on so many levels.
This totally goes both ways! The conversations we get into : ! It is so cool to have another "chick" to ski with that I'm not constantly waiting for at the bottom!

Quote:
Who'da thunk-it!
Me, of course!

Quote:
Me, the never ever been through a race course, 40 year old country girl on K2 Burnin luvs! I really had fun.
http://www.nastar.com/index.jsp?page...&compid=550648
And a Bronze on the first go, to boot!!

Quote:
Thanks "K"! You are a ton of fun to ski with. We got good Karma!

BTW - I'm NOT buying a speed suit!!!
You too! And NEVER say never . I'm sure we can find something funky that will look simply stunning on you!!!
post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekchick View Post
BTW - I'm NOT buying a speed suit!!!
Jan 15, 2007

Dear TC:

Famous last words . Congratulations and keep on racing/skiing .

CharlieP
post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekchick View Post

BTW - I'm NOT buying a speed suit!!!
Riiiight. C'ya in Steamboat.
post #7 of 24
Hey trekchick, did you know that there's an EpicSki Bears NASTAR team? You can add yourself to the group. It's all for fun (and probably beer).
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkXS View Post
Hey trekchick, did you know that there's an EpicSki Bears NASTAR team? You can add yourself to the group. It's all for fun (and probably beer).
Dang! They only allow 3 teams per person and I'm already spoken for in all 3 slots .
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekchick View Post

BTW - I'm NOT buying a speed suit!!!
Hey Phil, you wanna go to work on this?
post #10 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by volklgirl View Post
Hey Phil, you wanna go to work on this?
"K" you are Baaaaaad!
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by volklgirl View Post
Hey Phil, you wanna go to work on this?
I am on it. If I am not out in a hour....give me another hour
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by volklgirl View Post
I'm already spoken for in all 3 slots .

So many possible replies, I think my brain is going to explode...
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wear The Fox Hat View Post
So many possible replies, I think my brain is going to explode...
Oh my god.... I am laughing out loud right now.
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.P. Racer View Post
Oh my god.... I am laughing out loud right now.
Actually I can't believe WTFH beat YOU to it

BTW (patting myself on the back as I'm known to do) I got the whole EpicSki Team thang going So if any of you bears are not filled in "all three slots" join the MSRT club team (like SSH and VG has) and at the same time earn a chance of winning yourself a pair of Rossi Race Skis

Notice that the EpicSki Team and MSR Team are non-conflicting teams (one is a Club Team the other is Friends/Family), very strategic

Jump in a NASTAR course and see how you stack up against your favorite or most despised bears

If any of you are interested in the NASTAR NATIONALS this March at Steamboat check out this thread.
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wear The Fox Hat View Post
So many possible replies, I think my brain is going to explode...
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.P. Racer
Oh my god.... I am laughing out loud right now.
Thanks alot guys! Now I gotta clean Pepsi out of my keyboard, again!
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dranow View Post
Actually I can't believe WTFH beat YOU to it

BTW (patting myself on the back as I'm known to do) I got the whole EpicSki Team thang going So if any of you bears are not filled in "all three slots" join the MSRT club team (like SSH and VG has) and at the same time earn a chance of winning yourself a pair of Rossi Race Skis

Notice that the EpicSki Team and MSR Team are non-conflicting teams (one is a Club Team the other is Friends/Family), very strategic

Jump in a NASTAR course and see how you stack up against your favorite or most despised bears

If any of you are interested in the NASTAR NATIONALS this March at Steamboat check out this thread.
Cool, I've just joined both teams. Gotta get the good wax shipped out here I suppose!
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingman View Post
Cool, I've just joined both teams. Gotta get the good wax shipped out here I suppose!
Thanks SM!!! Glad to have you on the team! Sorry for the delay in the "Welcome aboard!" as we just pulled into PC from the Skoch Cup in Sun Valley. Talk about REAL racin', PHEW!! Look at this shot of our SuperG course and this doesn't even give the viewer a real idea. We hit the end of the road at about 60, cross a vicious side hill with a side hill roller into a round house. HEEEYAAAA!



Now this is recreational racing

Glad to have you on the team, good luck with the skis. Will get the '07 criteria posted shortly.
post #18 of 24
Thats an awesome shot. Recreational racing indeed!
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dranow View Post
Look at this shot of our SuperG course and this doesn't even give the viewer a real idea. We hit the end of the road at about 60, cross a vicious side hill with a side hill roller into a round house. HEEEYAAAA!



Now this is recreational racing
That's one of those shots that actually gets me to tense up just looking at it. Cool. A new desk site exercise to clench all the ab muscles!
post #20 of 24
Jan 22, 2007

Dear All:

Recreational racing? Whew!!! It terrifying just looking at the drop. Miss the turn and you'll be pulling a citizen's "Herminator". Good they planted the non-turning panel on top of the headwall.

CharlieP
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
Jan 22, 2007

Dear All:

Recreational racing? Whew!!! It terrifying just looking at the drop. Miss the turn and you'll be pulling a citizen's "Herminator". Good they planted the non-turning panel on top of the headwall.

CharlieP
Yeah, it was all that and more, trust me :

If anyone every wants to experience SuperG that might cause an underwear change, join us at the Skoch Cup

Here's the Corridor that dropped us onto the road the lead to the side hill roller just beyond that drop over



The extra red gate you see down there is from the lower start for the C/D group (older men and women). We were about 120 feet above and dropped into the corridor moving right along (about 60 MPH and didn't lose any speed across the road). The road goes around the mountain but we don't, we turned up under that red (in picture 1) and hit a very rough side hill that lead to a vertical roller (our second highest speed on the course), right off the vertical roller we had to get back on the ground (no way to stay on the snow), get to the left foot into a 180 degree round house. It was cake from there except for the final schuss to the finish where we were hitting about 70 MPH. Yup, just a recreational SuperG.

In other words, don't try this one at home unless you are VERY prepared for it

And who said Master Racing is for wimps and wusses

and you should have seen the GS and Slaloms : :

Back to NASTAR to get back on Topic. We are testing NASTAR timing for our Master races. We simply took our winner (John Campbell), assigned him a 5 Handicap and ran it through the NASTAR timing system for Handicaps off his Par Time. Pretty interesting stuff.

I'm hoping we start using NASTAR timing for all our races as the Handicaps give a real baseline of how one would rank against the big boys (and gals) on big courses. Yeah, I'm behind that effort, as usual.

FYI, I took 19th overall on the A/B race. I'm fairly pleased but had a major mistake going into the round house that killed my speed. Oh well, that's racing!

If anyone wants to read about our Master exploits check out "From NASTAR to Masters - You can do it" on the NASTAR Forum.

Dr Liz's (my wife and triple gold medalist this year in the Women's 3 division) chronicle of this year's race starts here down.
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
...Good they planted the non-turning panel on top of the headwall.
Jan 22, 2007

Dear Gary:

Maybe a friendly suggestion. On a second look at the picture, I think a "Blue" gate at the head wall would stand out much better than a "Red" gate, since the netting is of "red or orange" color. Just a thought.

CharlieP
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
Jan 22, 2007

Dear Gary:

Maybe a friendly suggestion. On a second look at the picture, I think a "Blue" gate at the head wall would stand out much better than a "Red" gate, since the netting is of "red or orange" color. Just a thought.

CharlieP
I'll talk to the TD next time
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dranow View Post
We were about 120 feet above and dropped into the corridor moving right along (about 60 MPH and didn't lose any speed across the road). The road goes around the mountain but we don't, we turned up under that red (in picture 1) and hit a very rough side hill that lead to a vertical roller (our second highest speed on the course), right off the vertical roller we had to get back on the ground (no way to stay on the snow), get to the left foot into a 180 degree round house. It was cake from there except for the final schuss to the finish where we were hitting about 70 MPH. Yup, just a recreational SuperG.
Somehow, Gary, your description hasn't made me want to rush and fly out for this race, just to make sure I'm getting the most value out of those health premium dollars. I've got to say that SkiRacer55's email to me about coming out for the Ski Cooper Rocky Mountain Masters downhills (which, unfortunately, I had to miss because of another commitment or perhaps a brief burst of sanity) was a little more persuasive. He described it as "a pretty mellow course...only air in three places...but you get hauling (low to mid seventies)..."

That use of the phrases "mellow..air in three places...hauling..mid seventies" all in the same sentence was to me kind of like those British English usages, where they stick two adjectives right next to each other that then lurch violently toward opposite meanings while chained together ("frightfully good" "terribly helpful" "statesman-like American President")

I think this year I'll just stick to our club league Super-G (and maybe to the FarWest Masters Super-G set on the same hill, there at Northstar.) Sigh. Or maybe I'll just have to work on getting more forward even when it's just a freaking slalom course or turny GS course that got slightly more steep.

(Kind of a bad race weekend out here in Biff land. You'd think, given all that time I spent on those courses before crossing the finish, I could have spent some of it not pushing so much snow around with my heels...)

SfDean

(But if I get beat by that many guys next time, they'll probably make me change my name to Gong...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home