EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Ski watch recommendations?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ski watch recommendations?

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
Back in the day I used to have an Avocet watch that I wore while skiing, it reported elevation and could track vert. It didn't have the best build quality and eventually broke. Does anyone have any recommendations as far as ski watches go? I'm just looking for something that reports the elevation and can track vert. Being able to download the data to a computer would be considered a plus. I have been looking at some of Suunto's offerings (the S-Lander, S6, and Altimax), but was curious was what everyone here uses and if you have any recommendations be them Suunto or not.

TIA.
post #2 of 21
I have been using the Suunto Vector for last 3 years. No downloading, but I have been happy with it.
post #3 of 21
I've had a few.... Suunto S9, x6hr, x9(gps), timex pathfinder polar axn700 and garmin foretrex 201. The best for skiing was the Suunto S9. My X9 short circuited, AXN700 was bulky and uncomfortable(watch band broke), X6 short circuited, timex still ticking.
post #4 of 21
I just got a Highgear Alterra, seems cool, but I think it may miss runs on the log altimeter.
post #5 of 21
I had THREE Avocets. The only good one was the first one, but it did eventually go belly up after about ten years. Second one was always WAY HIGH, but not consistently high. Third one was good for a year, then started "re-booting" mid-day. Add to all that mess having to mail them back to get the battery changed, and I moved on. To this Brunton ADC Summit thing that hangs around your neck. About the same price as the Avocet. Seems to under-report by a consistent 6% or so after seven days of adding up lift vertical and comparing it to the Brunton, but I can deal with that. Has some kind of data collection feature I am not using and an infra-red port.
post #6 of 21
One of my BC partners got a Garmin Forerunner 305 for Christmas. That thing is schweee-eeet! I covet.
post #7 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmalloy View Post
I've had a few.... Suunto S9, x6hr, x9(gps), timex pathfinder polar axn700 and garmin foretrex 201. The best for skiing was the Suunto S9. My X9 short circuited, AXN700 was bulky and uncomfortable(watch band broke), X6 short circuited, timex still ticking.
Is the S9 still manufactured, I can't find any mention of it on their site or on the web in general. (I see an X9 and an S6 though).
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiMangoJazz View Post
I just got a Highgear Alterra, seems cool, but I think it may miss runs on the log altimeter.
I got an altera last christmas and it was missing runs and not acumulating correctly. I contacted high gear and they said that the watch had max Accumulated alt of like 3300 ft, and every time it reached this max it reset to 0. This of course was extremely poor planning....however they did acknowledge the problem and had a new version that was tobe released in June wich they exchanged for me which had a much higher max Accumulation. Since I got the new version of the altera it has performed flawlessly, not missed a run and reports within a few feet of my friends Suunto. Long story short(too late) if you buy or have the High Gear Altera make sure it is not the older model. It looks the same, but the performance is entirely differnt.
post #9 of 21
happy with my Sunnto S6
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by skifatskis View Post
I got an altera last christmas and it was missing runs and not acumulating correctly. I contacted high gear and they said that the watch had max Accumulated alt of like 3300 ft, and every time it reached this max it reset to 0. This of course was extremely poor planning....however they did acknowledge the problem and had a new version that was tobe released in June wich they exchanged for me which had a much higher max Accumulation. Since I got the new version of the altera it has performed flawlessly, not missed a run and reports within a few feet of my friends Suunto. Long story short(too late) if you buy or have the High Gear Altera make sure it is not the older model. It looks the same, but the performance is entirely differnt.
Interesting. Of course when I had that problem I was at a mountain whose base is 682 and summit is 1680. Still I should contact them. I just got it off of Steap and Cheap about a month ago.

Did you just call the number in the manual (is there one?) if not how did you reach them? Thanks!
post #11 of 21
Unpossible,

I would be very wary of any suunto watch that has electrodes on the back side of the watch. My watches, x9 and x6 w/heart rate monitor both failed on me numerous times. The x9 when I fell skiing and played volleyball(sweat) and the x6(high endurance running and volleyball)
post #12 of 21
I still use my Avocet, 15 yrs and counting 40-50 days a year and it is on the outside of my coat cuff. Hard to beat it, new battery every 2-3 years, only knock, temp is not real accurate.
post #13 of 21
Love ms S6. Been a great watch that has taken a lots of serious beatings
post #14 of 21
I've had several Suunto Vectors. Several because they keep getting moisture inside them, the display fails, this is always just after the warantee's up, I send them to the factory rep, they say they can't fix it, and I get a new one from them for $75. The first time it seemed nice, the second was irritating, and this last time was it. Any more failures, another brand, however good the replacement deal. It's odd, because Suunto makes highly regarded dive watches.
post #15 of 21
Bah, if you guys would just ski at a small hill like me, then you could almost always see the large digital clock at the base lodge No watch required!
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiMangoJazz View Post
Interesting. Of course when I had that problem I was at a mountain whose base is 682 and summit is 1680. Still I should contact them. I just got it off of Steap and Cheap about a month ago.

Did you just call the number in the manual (is there one?) if not how did you reach them? Thanks!

I emailed them, I can't remember where I got the address, but it wasn't hard to find...maybe their website
post #17 of 21
thanks, i reached them via the email link on their website.

They told me that you have to leave it in the altimeter mode while logging, because it doesn't update.

So now I can't look at my watch to see what time it is without pushing buttons to change modes
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiMangoJazz View Post
thanks, i reached them via the email link on their website.

They told me that you have to leave it in the altimeter mode while logging, because it doesn't update.

So now I can't look at my watch to see what time it is without pushing buttons to change modes

you can change the display in the altimiter mode to display the time while in the altimiter mode by pressing top right button.
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonSkier View Post
Bah, if you guys would just ski at a small hill like me, then you could almost always see the large digital clock at the base lodge No watch required!
lol. I always have to be checking as to when lineup is!

You're right about the top right button, got to have this thing longer so I can learn how to use it.
post #20 of 21
I am on my second Suunto, first I had a Vector for 3 years, now a S6. I love the S6...much easier to use (better interface), smaller on the wrist, and it downloads to the PC in a snap (you do need to buy a Serial-USB converter though for the cable they include...about $20).

I have not had any problems with a Suunto in the past, but have heard that their customer service is top notch if anything goes wrong. One person I knew broke his watch (his fault) and they sent him a brand new one for free.

My only grip about the S6 is that the face is black with grey numbers..so its a bit hard to read in low light. On the slopes though, its fine. I wear it under my jacket and gloves and it works just fine, they include a wristband extender to put it over your coat if you prefer.

-eb
post #21 of 21
Thread Starter 
While skiing in Utah I saw a guy wearing this a Navman A300. Not exactly a watch, and there was no computer hookup, but it seems cool.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Ski watch recommendations?