or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Flying to Heavenly... do I need to change plans?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Flying to Heavenly... do I need to change plans?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Hello,
I have plane tickets (purchased with frequent flyer miles), my hotel, etc all set up for Heavenly. I am flying out from Florida the last week of January.

It looks like they are going to be getting some more snow, but Heavenly is still only about 15% open. It is not too late for me to change my plans and go someplace like Steamboat, CO without major penalties. Should I make the change?

I dont want to fly across the country for Snowshoe, WV conditions... is that what I should expect from Heavenly this season, or should conditions improve?

A friend from Reno says Heavenly is awesome... but compared to the Colorado and Utah resorts... is it?

The bottom line is, if you were flying from Florida to the left side of the country for a week, would you go to Heavenly, or Steamboat, CO?

Thanks for the advice!
post #2 of 7
Just go to Kirkwood!!

Seriously though, you've got a month so there's no point to freaking out now. We can go from nothing to everything overnight (and may have just done some of that today).

Heavenly is just like Colorado with thicker snow and better views If you're an intermediate or lower you'll love it. If you're an expert better have someone show you the goods or rent a vehicle and hit up Squaw, Alpine, Kirkwood & maybe even Rose.
post #3 of 7
Heavenly is fantastic. I'm heading there in about a week. I'm an expert skier and I always find stuff that challenges me. Killebrew Canyon has some of the steepest continual vert I've skied. Hopefully they get that stuff open soon. I don't really know what they are waiting for..they have received tons of snow recently. And more is in the forecast.
post #4 of 7
Over a foot new today and more on the way. Will let you know after we ski there tommorrow. Have faith we need it.
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkevenson View Post
Over a foot new today and more on the way. Will let you know after we ski there tommorrow. Have faith we need it.
Thanks so much. A good update on what the trails and trees are like would be fantastic. Have a great time. In the event that the trees are open tomorrow I'll say a prayer for your bases...
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkevenson View Post
Will let you know after we ski there tommorrow. Have faith we need it.
Appreciate your review. Still waiting on at least Sky chair to open, believe it was on hold today...
post #7 of 7
I will be astounded if Killebrew Canyon opens on this storm. It is one of the last pieces of Sierra terrain to open. Heavenly gets less natural snow than the areas to the west on the Sierra Crest (Kirkwood, Sierra, Alpine, Squaw, Sugar Bowl). That's why they put in the big snowmaking system.

The current Sierra storm is cement-like snow that will help greatly in creating a base. But recall that areas were only 20-40% open in terms of acreage before this. I would expect 50-75% by this weekend.

Will there be enough new snow in January to get everything open by the end of the month? Probably. But if you can switch your trip at no penalty to an area that already has enough snow, I can't imagine why you wouldn't do that.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Flying to Heavenly... do I need to change plans?