Originally Posted by Ghost
I think we need to distinguish between the mono-skier, and the snowboarder.
The monoskier carves turns on his wide ski down the mountain, and follows the skiers responsibility code. Mono-skiing is done for the fun of it.
The boarder scrapes snow off the mountain 10 percent of the time and spends the other 90 percent of the time sitting in the middle of the run with other boarders, and has disdain for the skiers responsibility code if he has heard of it at all. Boarding is done to look cool and acquire social standing in ones peer group.
Stereotypes arise because of the behaviour of a large number of the group members.
That sounds all too familiar . . . . the boarders bit, I mean.
Every time I come over a blind rise to find someone sitting in the middle of the piste, it's been snowboarders. Last time it happened, my only option was to wipe out through a piste marker.
I must point out that there are good snowboarders - but damn, I wish they'd stop sitting down under those blind rises. Basic safety rule.
My brother snowboards, and while technically pretty good at it . . . . . refuses to go and do anything interesting, just on principle. It's all about sliding between chilling sessions and snowball-fights . . . .
I've seen monoskiers fumbling about on the hill getting in my way as well - I know I should be patient and give them right of way, but somehow they manage to take up enough of a trail to make it impossible to overtake. And I have no idea how.
Anyway, back to jokes